jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (8 posts)

Is Obesity the number one problem in America and is public Assistance to blame?

1. Darknlovely3436 profile image82
    Darknlovely3436posted 5 years ago

Is Obesity the number one problem in America and is public Assistance to blame?

Public Assistance  programs are designed to achieve economic and social goal, however you would be surprise who is on this program.

2. nightwork4 profile image61
    nightwork4posted 5 years ago

people are to blame, nothing else. blaming a program, a restaurant or anything else just adds to the problem. until we admit this, things will only get worse.

3. lburmaster profile image84
    lburmasterposted 5 years ago

Obesity does seem like a high priority problem. I neve realized how many students were overweight until I went to a university. This is insane how many students carry all of their weight everywhere! And public assistance just causes more upset emotions. By calling obesity a problem, they have created a problem in itself. If someone is obese and you tell them they have a problem, they get mad at you and usually go against you head on.

4. Mom Kat profile image81
    Mom Katposted 5 years ago

Obesity is a Huge problem in America, but no, public assistance is not to blame for it.  Individuals and their personal choices are the #1 contributors to the problem.

There are plenty of resources for good nutrition & how to have a healthy diet.  Choosing to ignore your own health or make excuses for it is a personal issue.  No one can force you to be healthier if you don't want to be.

Contributing factors to the obesity dilemma:

~ advertising: fast food, convenient food, and generally unhealthy food corners the market on advertising in the country.  They play off of convenience and gratification.  They make it sound good for you when it isn't.  If you don't take the time to investigate the truth for yourself, it is easy to just listen to what you're being told.

~ cost: it used to be, not even 30 years ago, that the healthy food was less expensive, while the "junk foods" were pricier. Now it is the opposite.  If you want to eat right, it costs you!  Those on public assistance are forced to keep within a certain budget, choosing the foods they can afford (which are the non-nutritious ones).

~commercial farming: the majority of what you buy from the large markets have been stripped of their nutritional value.  Even when you purchase what SHOULD be healthy, it no longer holds the key vitamins, minerals, and nutrients that it once did.

~Luxury laziness: dishwashers, garage door openers, remote controls.... everything is geared toward less physical activity.  Even the schools are cutting movement out of their days.  If you aren't moving, you aren't burning up the calories you're taking in.  Think about the difference in burning calories from making a batch of bread from scratch ~by hand verses making from scratch using a bread machine.  Huge difference! 

~medications: I used to be a DSP, in charge of giving meds to my clients.  I was shocked at just how many medications have the side effect of causing weight gain!  The country is drugging its self into obesity. 

Bottom line it's the lack of will to do what needs to be done on a personal level.  Blaming everything and everyone else dis-empowers you & doesn't fix the problem.  People need to take back the control of their lives, their bodies, & their health.

5. duffsmom profile image60
    duffsmomposted 5 years ago

How could public assistance be to blame for obesity?  Not sure I follow that line of thinking.  While obesity is a problem on our country, it is hardly the number one problem. I think the economy and lack of jobs would top my list for number one.

1. Darknlovely3436 profile image82
      Darknlovely3436posted 5 years agoin reply to this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wL_CmsPZ … ure=relmfu
      it a stupid way of thinking.. that i post the question.. lots of small minded folk think that being on public assistance and not working is one of the cause for obesity, free housing, free

6. snoblet profile image83
    snobletposted 5 years ago

Obesity has become a gruesome trend and I guess what people lack is self control. People blame the gov. for many things but even the gov. is limiting how food is to control what people put into their body since the people can't seem to understand.  Especially babies and children that weight almost as much or more than adults.  I don't really see any connection between obesity and the assistance program.

7. dashingscorpio profile image87
    dashingscorpioposted 5 years ago

No. I think the (number one problem) in America is still the economy, unempolyment, and under-employment along with the reduced values of homes and 401ks/retirement plans.
    With regard to health issues: "Tobacco use is the leading cause of preventable death in the United States, imposing a terrible toll in health, lives and dollars on families, businesses and government.
    (Tobacco kills more than 400,000 people annually – more than AIDS, alcohol, car accidents, illegal drugs, murders and suicides combined.)
    Tobacco costs the U.S. more than $96 billion in health care expenditures and $97 billion in lost productivity each year." http://www.tobaccofreekids.org/facts_issues/toll_us/