What is Animal Rennet?

1. ThompsonPen profile image77
    ThompsonPenposted 5 years ago

What is Animal Rennet?

I was super excited for my gnocchi I acquired, but when reading through the ingredients, one was Animal Rennet, which was listed as an ingredient of one of the cheeses in it. I'm vegetarian, so this is quite curious to me!

2. cat on a soapbox profile image95
    cat on a soapboxposted 5 years ago

Rennet is an enzyme that helps break down milk protein to separate the curd from the whey. The rennet that comes from animals is extracted from the stomachs of mammals, usually calves or goats.

3. Claudia Tello profile image76
    Claudia Telloposted 5 years ago

No, I do not feel guilty about eating even though I practically indulge in one of my favorite desserts everyday :p. I am totally crazy about chocolate (practically addicted ha smile) and I am not afraid of it nor try to avoid eating it anymore. Instead I enjoy it every time I feel like it and it doesn´t make me gain weight. Desserts are my "weak spot" but I eat very healthy otherwise -by choice- and I am an active, sporty girl. I also do resistance training and my metabolism is up high, requiring lots of energy (around 2700 kcal a day), which means I can almost eat whatever I want without gaining weight and I am soooo glad for it!!! I LOVE FOOD!!