jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (6 posts)

What do you do to avoid Genetically Modified Organisms or GMO's when you shop fo

1. Eric Calderwood profile image82
    Eric Calderwoodposted 5 years ago

What do you do to avoid Genetically Modified Organisms or GMO's when you shop for food?

2. Wesman Todd Shaw profile image98
    Wesman Todd Shawposted 5 years ago

I avoid the following things:
    1. High fructose corn syrup
    2. corn syrup
    3. modified corn starch
    4. corn starch
    5. Canola oil
    6. anything with soy, or soybean oil.

....generally speaking, the two most used GMOs are corn and soy...so unless corn or soy products say "organic," it's just a bad deal.

Two other things that aren't GMO but always worth mentioning are aspartame and MSG...either of those substances ought to be on a person's "do not purchase" list.

1. Jewels profile image84
      Jewelsposted 5 years agoin reply to this

I (unfortunately) watched an episode of Dr Oz where he was encouraging a family to eat soy burgers as a quick convenient healthy meal.  Maybe better than waffles, but all I could see were GMOs on their dinner table.  Quick & easy but not healthy.

3. Jewels profile image84
    Jewelsposted 5 years ago

In Australia we have labeling laws.  However, I'm not overly confident that they will withstand the onslaught of GMOs in our food supply.  For the time being I purchase most of my fruit and veg via a farmers market.  I have been questioning where they get their seeds.  At least this way I am letting the farmers know I am aware that Monsanto has a monopoly on seeds globally.

I have taken 95% of processed foods out of my diet.  The processed foods I do use I check for ingredients.

Plus I keep abreast with organizations that are anti-GMOs, like the Institute for Responsible Technology and Freedom Foods here in Aus.   At least I can stay as informed as I can.

1. mvillecat profile image78
      mvillecatposted 5 years agoin reply to this

We in America are not as fortunate as you guys down under. I wish we could win the battle for labeling but this country is always for sell so I don't think it will happen soon. I too try to keep abreast of the most current information regarding GMOs.

2. Jewels profile image84
      Jewelsposted 5 years agoin reply to this

I've just been reading up on aquaponics.  Maybe that's a good direction to take to taken better ownership of our food supply.

working