jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (6 posts)

Genetically Modified Foods? Yeah or Nay? Why?

1. ThompsonPen profile image79
    ThompsonPenposted 5 years ago

Genetically Modified Foods? Yeah or Nay? Why?

Are you for or against?

2. Alberic O profile image69
    Alberic Oposted 5 years ago

It is difficult to say, but I'm leaning towards nay.

GMO's can produce food at a rapid rate and keep prices down at times. However, some firms like Monsanto have been known to abuse their power like suing mom and pop farmers. I am okay with GMOs as long as GMOs are held in check. If not, food prices will rise and crop diversity will decrease. If crop diversity decreases and some super bug (resistant to GMOs) wipe out most of the crops, we will be in serious trouble.

The health may also be an issue but for me, GMOs threaten consumer choice and if GMO firms go unchecked, we are all at risk. Whoever controls the food will have a lot of power.

3. lrc7815 profile image88
    lrc7815posted 5 years ago

Nay...nay...nay.  I recently wrote a hub (A Monday Morning Rant) on our food supply.  All one needs to do is read a few food labels to realize that we are getting more preservatives and bi-products than real food.  They may be able to genetically modify crops but our bodies are not designed to handle it.  I am making a slow (very slow) move to only organically grown whole foods and it is amazing how much better they taste and how much better I feel. 

If GMO food is the future, we need to hold them accountable for labeling them as such.

4. Mazzy Bolero profile image80
    Mazzy Boleroposted 5 years ago

I'm definitely against.  This technology has been let loose on the world and it is impossible to recall it if it isn't safe. It's also difficult to prove it's the cause of problems, since everything is put down to "coincidence." 

It would take too long to go through all the reasons it could be dangerous, but how arrogant is it, when the world has taken millions - even billions - of years to evolve a balance and a structure, to run in there like a bull in a china shop thinking we are so smart now, we can do better.

I believe there is enough evidence of the insane risk we are taking.

5. profile image33
    Melvin1963posted 5 years ago

No way! But it is really hard to do because over 90% of the corn grown in the U.S. is Genetically modified now. Then the next step is that most of the meat that we eat comes from animals that ate the GM grain, and that carries over to us in the meat. About the only way around it is to go organic and grass fed! I feel that labeling should be mandatory, because who knows what side affects we will be surrering a few years down the road. If it is labeled, at least we can choose foods that are not made with GM grains. GMO food is not the future - it is here now and has been for at least a decade- most of us just didn't know it!!

1. ThompsonPen profile image79
      ThompsonPenposted 5 years agoin reply to this

I completely agree. I personally don't eat meat, which makes it a little easier to avoid GMO's, but it's difficult to weed through and find products that boast GMO-free. All the more reason I want to go off grid and grow my own food smile