jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

Why are Chinese takeout menus always exactly the same?

1. robhampton profile image100
    robhamptonposted 4 years ago

Why are Chinese takeout menus always exactly the same?

Just seems like if I opened a new chinese restaurant I would try to make it different than all the rest.

2. MickS profile image73
    MickSposted 4 years ago

Probably because when the marketeers did their research they found a successful format for Chinese take aways.

3. Ericdierker profile image57
    Ericdierkerposted 4 years ago

Good question for those interested in Asian dining. The idea is to serve exactly the same thing. And to have a better recipe. We do not give a rats ass about marketing through hype and hyperbole it is all about word of mouth --- "who has the best of ..."

If you know your Asian dishes and walk into a place you will smell the ambiance. If some white dude writes a piece on an Asian restaurant and does not mention the smells, he is a fraud. The damned menu is the same in order to compete and not some Tom foolery notion of something new which in Asian cooking there is not.

Me, I make the greatest Pho Tai, on the side. I will not rename it as it is the standard others must meet. My trick is super heating the water, Phu Quoc fish sauce and mongolian sliced beef. Of course I have fresher, sprouts and other goodies to mix with it.

If you do not call every team a football team, what the hell you going to play Manchester against the New Orleans Saints NFL team?

4. D.Juris Stetser profile image60
    D.Juris Stetserposted 4 years ago

For myself,  I am so disappointed if I go to a new Chinese Restaurant, and do not find a favorite
    dish or dinner with an absolute familiar flavor to that item on the menu  If I want Crab Rangood, or Egg Rolls,  Won Ton,  whatever,  there's an expectancy that the dish will have THE TASTE, with no deviation whatsoever...I suppose like  Lobster Thermidor...it must always have the same ingredients whether I have it in Paris or Philly....If you wanted to open a Chinese Restaurant I'd suggest first bringing in diners who will find all the familiar classics...this will make them feel they've found a familiar comfort zone....and have gratuitous  samplings  of more exotic or unique offerings you'd like to make as regular menu items..Just my own personal opinion and that of others in my family..  Good Luck!!!

working