Can you recommend a good recipe for organic wholemeal bread that is successful i

1. Imogen French profile image84
    Imogen Frenchposted 4 years ago

Can you recommend a good recipe for organic wholemeal bread that is successful in a breadmaker?

I bought a breadmaker last year but don't seem to have any success with wholemeal bread - it either doesn't rise enough and is doughy in the middle or is just plain heavy. My reason for getting the machine in the first place was so that I could have organic bread made with local wholewheat flour. I don't want to have to add white flour or additives, I want it to be as natural as possible. Has anybody got a good recipe for use in a breadmaker?

2. vespawoolf profile image95
    vespawoolfposted 4 years ago

"The Breadman's Healthy Bread Book" has a great recipe for garbanzo bean bread that has always worked for me. Here it is:
    •1 cup (8 fl oz) of reserved garbanzo bean water from can
    •Extra Virgin Olive Oil, 1 tbsp
    •Molasses, 1 tbsp
    •Honey, 1 tbsp
    •Liquid Lecithin,1/2 tsp
    •Chickpeas (garbanzo beans), 1 cup, slightly mashed
    •Whole Wheat Flour, 3 cups
    •Gluten flour, 2 tbsp
    •Sesame Seeds, 2 tbsp
    •Sea Salt, 1 1/4 tsp
    •Cumin seeds, 1 tsp
    •Active Dry Yeast, 2.5 tsp

I have never used the liquid lecithin although I've read that it improves the texture of the bread. I also omit the cumin seeds. You can also omit the gluten flour, but the bread will be a little bit heavier. The garbanzo beans' starch makes the whole wheat bread rise higher. We love this recipe! The cookbook has quite a few good recipes that use wholegrain ingredients.
    I hope it works for you. Enjoy!

1. Imogen French profile image84
      Imogen Frenchposted 4 years agoin reply to this

thanks for this recipe vespawolf - this is quite a different bread recipe from any I have tried before. I do like chickpeas (didn't know they were also called garbanzo beans though!), so will give this a try sometime

working