jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (5 posts)

Do you think people should raise chickens and plant their own food?

1. yecall profile image69
    yecallposted 17 months ago

Do you think people should raise chickens and plant their own food?

2. lisavollrath profile image96
    lisavollrathposted 17 months ago

While I don't think individuals or families should be responsible for growing everything they eat, I think there's some benefit to knowing where your food comes from. We've become disconnected from the fact that all that stuff in the meat department used to be living animals, and our produce comes from all over the world, rather than the farm up the road. This is especially true of children, who often have no clue that tomatoes grow on vines, and potatoes grow under the soil.

Also, there are health benefits to being outside, with your hands in the dirt. As someone who grows some of her own vegetables and herbs, I feel better and happier after working with my hands in the soil, and there are some studies that say this has to do with beneficial bacteria.

And really, there's nothing better than a ripe tomato you've grown yourself, still warm from the sun.

(No comment on chickens here. I'm a vegan.)

3. sangre profile image94
    sangreposted 17 months ago

Yes, if the climate you're in allows you to grow your own food, then why not. As for the chickens, you need a lot of space to have them, and it wouldn't be fair to contain them in a small area. But there are so many options on ways to grow food, everyone can attempt it.

4. fpherj48 profile image76
    fpherj48posted 17 months ago

If people have the opportunity to maintain a garden and/or raise chickens, it's a fine idea for several reasons.  What can be better than having fresh vegetables from one's own garden?  This is not only convenient and penny-wise but healthy as well.  The gardening itself keeps one active in the fresh air and the veggies are loaded with nutrition.  Raising chickens provides unlimited eggs and I can still recall my Grandmother making Chicken soup for the whole family.
    Many years ago, when my grandfather had a huge garden, my grandmother, mother and her sisters all got together and spent an entire day on canning the fresh veggies he raised.  We were set for veggies all through winter!

5. WiccanSage profile image94
    WiccanSageposted 17 months ago

If they want to, and if they can, I see nothing wrong with it. It's not for everyone (physical limitations, busy with other responsibilities, etc.) so for some of us buying our eggs and veggies is a better option.

working