jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (7 posts)

Overall, which is the better option: Canned or frozen vegetables?

1. CWanamaker profile image97
    CWanamakerposted 5 years ago

Overall, which is the better option: Canned or frozen vegetables?

2. MrAungst profile image60
    MrAungstposted 5 years ago

I grew up in a highly agricultural area, so I always had fresh veggies. They are the best choice but often can't be had in certain areas.

Last semester I had a class in Nutrition and my professor told us that frozen vegetables often have more nutrients because they are frozen almost directly after being harvested.

Canned veggies, while well perserved, are kept at room temperature, and they often lose slightly more nutritional value than their frozen counterparts.

3. profile image72
    ElleBeeposted 5 years ago

Frozen are much healthier - as MrAungst said, they preserve more of the nutrients.  Also tend to preserve a bit more of the flavor, but that parts only my opinion.

4. Insane Mundane profile image61
    Insane Mundaneposted 5 years ago

Of course, fresh is the best, and even if most frozen vegetables are slightly healthier as opposed to canned veggies, I'd rather buy mostly canned goods because you never know when the electricity will go out, plus they last longer!
    It is funny, since I mentioned about the possibility of the electricity going out, because when I was trying to answer this question an hour or so ago, the power did go out on my side of town and I had to wait until it came back on before getting back online; what a coincidence!

5. Pamela N Red profile image86
    Pamela N Redposted 5 years ago

Frozen vegetables are flash frozen after picking. Canned are cooked which takes out some of the vitamins and flavor.

I buy fresh or frozen and never even go down the canned vegetable aisle.

6. profile image0
    Vincent Mooreposted 5 years ago

Fresh number one choice, frozen second choice. I never buy canned veggies, to many nutrients are depleted.  I buy mostly organic foods and stay away from chemically prepared foods. Hormones, steroids, nitrites, YUCK.  You can smell the chemicals in most boxed foods when you walk down the produce aisles.

7. B. Leekley profile image89
    B. Leekleyposted 5 years ago

I agree with the other responders that just picked fresh is best and that frozen is healthier and tastier than canned. A fresh picked fruit or vegetable is less fresh minute by minute, hour by hour, day by day. There has to be a point at which so-called fresh produce is less healthy than frozen. The advantage of canned food is that it can be stored for a long time just about anywhere – a cupboard, a cellar, a cache, a lunch bag – whereas frozen food requires a freezer, which is expensive to buy and which requires electricity, which costs money, is undependable, and may be made in a way that hurts the environment. An advantage of frozen produce over fresh produce is that often the latter can only be bought in a quantity larger than a person can eat before it spoils. For that reason I switched from fresh to frozen collard greens.

working