jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (7 posts)

Asparagus in Season - Favorite Recipes

1. eatlikenoone profile image71
    eatlikenooneposted 6 years ago

Asparagus is in season here in Michigan. I wanted to know what are other people's favorite ways to prepare it. I like to roast mine in a 500 degree oven for 10 minutes. Then add some salt, lemon zest, and freshly ground nutmeg. The nutmeg works unexpectedly well.

1. twilanelson profile image59
      twilanelsonposted 6 years ago in reply to this

I just had asparagus on Mother's Day, steamed with mayonaise and salt and pepper.  But I love rice topped with asparagus, chicken and a light sauce.

eatlikenooneposted 6 years ago in reply to this

We had it on Mother's Day too, served along a grilled sirloin steak and cornmeal onion rings.

2. chinesegreentea profile image56
      chinesegreenteaposted 6 years ago in reply to this

I feel very sorry that I haven't eat  the  food before.
      Friends ,can you tell me how to cook it .I want to eat it ,too.
      Thank you

2. Bill Yovino profile image90
    Bill Yovinoposted 6 years ago

I put them in a roasting pan and sprinkle them with olive oil, salt and pepper. I add sliced garlic and capers, then roast them for about 10 to 15 minutes at 400F.   Top with diced fresh tomatoes, and Feta cheese, and return to the oven for another 10 minutes. Adjust the cooking times depending on the thickness of the stalks. (thinner = less time)

Even people who think they don't like asparagus love this dish.

eatlikenooneposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Roasting is definitely the way to go!

3. EmpressFelicity profile image81
    EmpressFelicityposted 6 years ago

Chop the asparagus into inch-long pieces and blanch them. Drain, and add cream cheese (e.g. Philadelphia).  Heat gently until the cream cheese is warmed through and has gone runny.  Serve with tagliatelle and grated Parmesan, plus lashings of freshly ground black pepper.

Other vegetables can be blanched alongside the asparagus, e.g. peas, courgettes or runner beans.

working