- Food and Cooking
Refreshing Frozen Chocolate Covered Banana
Vegan Gourmet Dark Chocolate. Sustainably produced from bean to bar in a Balinese bamboo chocolate factory ECO Gourmet Raw 70% Dark Chocolate
Calling all chocoholics!
Have you ever made frozen chocolate covered bananas? They’re delicious and so easy to make.
I came across this very simple recipe some time ago. It’s a sort of desert, come sorbet, come ice cream. It’s quite difficult to describe them because when the bananas are frozen they turn into something extremely yummy!
These chocolate covered bananas are perhaps best described as tiny choc-ice. We loved them because the banana was just like eating frozen ice cream.
The great thing about this recipe is that it is low stress because it works every time.
The banana is raw when you put it in the freezer so it comes out soft but icy and its taste is enhanced greatly by the whole process of freezing. The chocolate freezes into a delicious crunchy shell.
Chocolate covered bananas require no actual cooking, and if you love dark chocolate and the taste of banana then this is a must for you!
I have never tried making these with other fruits but I suppose you could substitute the banana for strawberries or any soft fruit.
How much do you love bananas?
A great mix of bitter and sweet. Very smooth chocolate. Delicious with the sweet taste of banana
I made these one evening when my son asked for a chocolate biscuit and the jar was empty. I had seen this recipe somewhere and it stuck in my mind.
The only real problem is trying to get the finished desert to look beautiful! It's a question of how you arrange them on a dish and them how you put them in the freezer. Mine never look that wonderful so I guess it’s a good thing that they taste extremely cool!
Here is a photo of mine before they went into the freezer - they are so ugly! And they didn't look much nicer when they came out either. I am rather embarrassed to show them to you.
My son says that if we could get them to look nicer then we could serve them to our friends as after dinner treats - they would be very impressed! But as they stand I don't think so!
I have had an idea that might work. I'll try it and get back to you! So watch this space. But if you know how to make these look nicer please leave a comment below and put us out of our misery!
Chocolate covered bananas must be eaten from frozen, if you let them thaw out the banana will turn mushy and the chocolate will melt into a complete mess in no time at all!
They are perfect because you can prepare them in advance and then just forget about them in the freezer until you kids remind you that they are there.
They are a great way of cooling kids down and serving up more nutritious treats.
Below are some delicious chocolate goodies. Click on them and you'll be taken to Amazon.com where there are others. Mmmmm!
- 2 large bananas - it doesn't matter if they are very ripe
- 1 large bar of dark eating chocolate (220 g)
- 1 teaspoons of butter
- 1 drop of almond essence (optional)
- Peel and slice the bananas in pieces that are about an inch thick
- Put a small pot of water on the stove to heat. When it's barely simmering place a heat resistant bowl over the pot making a Bain Marie. Keep the heat very low
- Break the chocolate up into small squares and put it in the bowl and gently stir until it melts. Do not try to speed this process up because the chocolate could become granular
- Add the butter gently stirring all the while with a wooden spoon till it melts and becomes a smooth liquid
- Remove from the heat and add the banana pieces. Coat with chocolate
- Put them on greaseproof paper on a plate and place them in the freezer for about 15 minutes or until they are frozen and you fancy one!
- Enjoy your treat!
I hope you have a go at making my chocolate covered bananas! Please let me know what you think of them. And do let me know if you find a way of making them look nicer!
Click here for a great Apple Pie Recipe with a difference. Please leave me a comment before you go.
© 2013 Giovanna Sanguinetti