- Food and Cooking
Healthy And Easy Spinach Recipe Ideas For Dinner
Welcome To My Favourite Spinach Recipes
I hope you enjoy this collection of spinach recipes that have been tried and tested in my growing family over many years. I have experimented a little with some of the original recipes to arrive at dishes that we love and that don't cost the earth. Although we can't confess to being vegetarian, none of them contain meat, but most have a variety of ingredients such as cheese, eggs and nutmeg that are for most cooks found in their fridges or cupboards. With spinach being so versatile, we find that we eat it in some dish or another at least once a week.
Spinach is a great convenience food because it can be frozen and taken out when needed, but the fresh leaves are also great eaten raw or cooked. Even for those who are fussy eaters, most will be able to cope with spinach that has been creatively combined with other ingredients to make a healthy and delicious meal.
Each recipe can be printed off individually for your convenience and there is a food quiz at the end to test your knowledge. There's also a chance for you to vote for your favourite spinach recipe at the end.
Some Of The Health Benefits Of Spinach
It is rich in antioxidants, iron, calcium, magnesium, omega 3, vitamins C, K, A, E, B2, B6, folic acid, zinc and- it only contains 40 calories in every 85g fresh spinach!
Spinach souffle isn't as hard to make as you might think. Just make sure you have a large (preferrably tall) enough greased dish so that it can rise. If not, you can use greaseproof paper to extend the sides. Prepare this beforehand so that your spinach souffle can be put straight into the oven once you've prepared it.
Obviously you want to show off your risen spinach souffle at the end, so try not to hang around inbetween stages, as once you've added the egg whites, it will sink if left. The key is therefore to be well prepared beforehand and make sure your oven has reached the correct temperature before your spinach souffle goes in (takes around 15 minutes). Have everyone seated and ready to receive it at the table as you take it out of the oven to serve.
- 1 1 b (450g) frozen spinach
- 3 level tablespoons flour
- 300 ml (10fl oz) milk
- 7 1/2 oz (200g) can of drained salmon or tuna
- 6 oz (150g) parmesan cheese
- 3 eggs
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- salt and pepper
- Thaw the spinach beforehand or place in a covered pan over a low heat with a nob of butter. If very wet, strain.
- Off the heat, stir in the flour and gradually add the milk, stirring. Bring to the boil and season.
- Remove from heat and add half the cheese, egg yolks, flaked fish and nutmeg.
- Whisk the egg whites until stiff.
- Carefully fold into the spinach mixture, using a metal spoon.
- Sprinkle half of remaining cheese over the base of your greased dish, add the spinach souffle mixture and finish with the remaining cheese on top.
- Place immediately into the hot oven for 45 minutes, until browned and cooked. Do not open the door during the first half of cooking (preferrably not until cooked) to ensure it rises.
- When cooked, served immediately.
Here's The Spinach Souffle - A great recipe idea!Click thumbnail to view full-size
The Cheat's Version Of A Spinach Recipe - If you really want something quick and with no fuss- then this is for you!
The spinach is already in this pasta and it not only takes just 3 minutes to cook, but tastes just as good as you get in any Italian restaurant. Simply serve it with you favourite tomato sauce and top with cheese. Great value too and a great convenience food that can be stored for a rainy day in your cupboard!
Tasty Spinach Quiche - Wholesome and filling
I cut this out of one of my mother's magazines many years ago. She has subscribed to the same magazine every week for more than 60 years and at 92 years old, still gets them and passes them on to my sisters and I. I have enjoyed many recipes from them over the years. Serve this spinach quiche with your favourite salad. We love baked potatoes with it too.
- For the pastry:
- 3 oz butter
- 6 oz wholemeal flour
- For the filling:
- 1 oz butter
- 8 oz peeled and chopped onions
- 1 1 b frozen spinach thawed
- 8 oz drained and crumbled feta cheese
- finely grated rind 1 lemon
- 1/4 teaspoon grated nutmeg
- pepper and 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs beaten
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds
- Preheat oven to Gas 6 (200C)
- For the pastry, rub the butter into the flour, add enough water to bind and roll out to line a 9 inch flan dish. Chill whilst making the filling.
- Melt the butter in a pan and add the onions until soft. Remove from heat and add the drained spinach, cheese, lemon rind, seasonings and eggs.
- Spoon into the flan case and sprinkle over the sesame seeds.
- Cook on top shelf of oven for 45 minutes, until filling is firm.
The Natural Benefits Of Nutmeg
Freshly ground nutmeg is often used in spinach recipes and has many medicinal benefits. They include pain relief for inflammation and abdominal pain, when applied in oil on the affected areas. It's also a great brain tonic, indigestion relief and sleep aid.
Salmon And Spinach Pasta Bake - A tasty combination and rich in Omega 3
I was very impressed one year when my son gave me a cookery book whilst we were in Germany. This recipe has been the most frequently used, an adaptation of the original, which evolved over the years to the way we enjoy it today back in the UK. In the original German it is called "Nudelauflauf mit Spinat." It evokes happy memories of that time in Germany.
We enjoy this served with the sauce and broccoli or a fresh salad.
- 300 g shell shaped pasta
- 1 bag (200-250g) baby spinach
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 pint milk
- 200 g smoked salmon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- large pinch grated nutmeg
- 1 large sliced tomato
- 50 g cheese
- For the sauce:
- 1 oz butter
- 1 oz flour
- 1/4 pint milk
- 1/2 tin (about 225g) chopped tomatoes
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to Gas 6 (200C)
- Cook pasta in pan of boiling water for about 8 minutes or as per pack instructions.
- Meanwhile wilt the spinach with a splash of water in a saucepan over a low heat.
- Chop the salmon and beat together the eggs, milk and seasoning.
- When pasta is cooked, strain and add the salmon and spinach, stirring a little.
- Pour over the eggs and milk and thinly slice the tomato on top.
- Scatter over the grated cheese and place in the oven for about 30 minutes, until brown.
- Meanwhile, make the sauce by melting the butter in a pan over a low heat, then stirring in the flour. Keep stirring until smooth.
- Take off the heat and when any bubbles have subsided, gradually add the milk and then the tomatoes, stirring constantly. When smooth, return to heat and cook on full, stirring constantly until thick and boiling.
- Add seasoning and serve separately with the spinach and pasta.
Delicious Salmon And Spinach Pasta Bake
The Right Tools For Successful Spinach Recipes - Did you know that nutmeg flavour degrades quickly, so having a spice grinder makes sense
These dishes have been specially made to ensure your souffles cook and rise evenly.
An attractive dish that takes a collar easily and looks great for serving too. It's ridged sides ensure your souffle rises with less chance of sticking.
Nutmeg is the most popular spice used in spinach recipes and there's nothing better than freshly ground nutmeg. This spice grinder saves your fingers and you can store nutmegs in the base.
Cheese And Spinach Crumble - A version of cheese and potato pie, packed with even more goodness!
I cut this from the back of a packet of wheatgerm around 30 years ago and have been making this cheese and spinach dish ever since. It must be one of the healthiest recipes I make!
Depending on your oven, take care that the topping doesn't get too brown when cooking it .
- 1 1 b (450g) fresh or frozen spinach
- 1 small chopped onion
- 1/2 1 b (250g) potatoes
- 8 oz (250g) cheese (e.g. cheddar or edam)
- 1 large pinch ground mace
- 1 teaspoon salt
- black pepper
- For Topping: 2 oz (50g) each of wheatgerm and butter
- 1 oz (25g) each of rolled oats and soya flour
- Preheat oven to Gas 6 (200c)
- Peel and dice potatoes and cook with onion until soft, mash.
- Place washed spinach leaves in saucepan with just the water that clings to it and cook, covered for 10 minutes- or as per instructions on frozen spinach.
- Combine mashed potatoes, spinach and grated cheese, mace, salt and pepper.
- Place in dish.
- Melt butter in pan, add wheatgerm, oats and soya flour for a few minutes until well combined.
- Place on top of cheese and spinach mixture and cook for 30 minutes, until topping is golden brown.
Spinach Rice With Egg - A quick and easy recipe
I have been making this recipe since I found it in1985. It can be served as a light, main course (the hungrier like it with two eggs). Use wholemeal rice for a more filling option.
- 250 g (8oz) long grain rice
- 300 g (11oz) frozen spinach defrosted
- 2 onions peeled and chopped
- 50 g (2 oz) butter
- Pinch of grated nutmeg
- 4 eggs
- salt and pepper
- Cook rice in boiling water until tender. Drain.
- Press liquid out of spinach.
- Cook onions in half of melted butter. When soft, add spinach, cooked rice, nutmeg and salt and pepper to taste. Stir well and heat through together.
- Melt rest of butter in frying pan and fry the eggs.
- Serve the spinach rice with an egg on top for each person.
Try Spinach Rice With Sardines
Red Pepper And Spinach Lasagna - We love this served with garlic bread and a fresh salad.
- Click here for Red Pepper And Spinach Lasagna
A creamy, comforting spinach lasagna oozing with cheese, with the contrasting taste of roasted peppers.