Low Carb Pizza Dough
Low Carb Pizza Dough / Wheat Free Pizza Crust : I Can't Believe It's Not Made With Flour
This low carb pizza dough recipe is also a wheat free pizza crust that will have everyone stunned! I can't believe it's not made with flour. The taste is so good. This low carb wheat free pizza dough doesn't require flour at all and yet it has the feel of a real whole wheat flour pizza crust. Your search for the best low carb pizza dough ends here.
All pics @Fanfreluche
A Delicious, Filling And Good For You Low Carb Pizza Dough
A Must Try Wheat Free Pizza Crust
Pizza has never been a favorite food of mine, but from time to time (like 3 times a year) I would enjoy one. And every time, after eating pizza, I would feel bloated for a while and say "never again". Recently I had one of those "I must have pizza" moment so I decided to try a low carb pizza dough, wheat free, no flour.
The first testers (besides me) were my kids: 5 1/2 years old boy and close to 2 years girl. The verdict was unanimous: my son was extatic "this is the best pizza in the universe. Mom I love you, you cook good diners" followed by hugs and kisses. Daughter didn't say a word but was stuffing her face as fast as she could.
So a few days later, I made a batch of this low carb pizza dough so I could do a blind test on my husband. He told me: "this is the best pizza ever". So I told him what the recipe was and he said "cool, I like it".
So, you ask, what is in this super duper best ever low carb pizza dough? Take a guess here:
Poll: No cheating!! Don't read the recipe before answering!
The main ingredient(s) in this low carb pizza dough is:
First before you do anything I will tell you how I "rice" cauliflower the easy way (and I mean EASY). I learned that method recently and it is a time saver. Not to mention the fact that my fingers are happy, they are no longer in peril of getting grated along with the cauliflower. Check the video and learn from the best: how to rice cauliflower.
- 1 Cup of raw and "riced" cauliflower
- 3/4 Cup of grated cheese (I use French Emmental)
- 1 Tablespoon flax meal
- 1 medium egg
- 1-Rice your cauliflower
- 2- Once you have your riced cauliflower you will need to cook it a in the microwave with a bit of water. for about 5 minutes. I add very very little water to it, about 1 tablespoon and every 2 minutes I mix and add a bit more water if needed. Once it is cooked it should not be too wet.
- 3- Meanwhile beat you egg with some salt and oregano. I love oregano but you can use other herbs as well such as basil.
- 4- When the cauliflower is ready mix it with the egg and cheese. I use Emmental but you can use other cheeses such as mozzarella. I love the taste the Emmental gives to the pizza crust. If you think your dough might be too wet you can add a little bit more flax. Once you have done the recipe you'll be able to judge better.
- 5- Put your low carb pizza dough on a cookie sheet and spread to from a 9 inches crust. It doean't have to be exactly round obviously, mine never are as you can see from my pictures!
- 6- Bake for approximately 15 minutes at 350F until the color is golden.
- 7- Top with your favorite stuff and bake for a few minutes under the broiler (stay close and watch it!)
The Crust - before it is baked
As you can see, I am not too stressed out about making it real round!
High Quality Organic Flax Meal - For your low carb pizza dough
Although you'll only need one or two tablespoon to bake my low carb pizza dough, flax meal is a great product to have on hand for low carb and/or wheat free lifestyle. It's versatile and can be used in dessert as well as in main dish recipes. Flax meal is made from ground flax seeds and it is high in Omega-3 fatty acids. Flax seeds are healthy and wholesome. Make sure you keep your flax meal in a cool and dark place.
French Emmental For Your Low Carb Pizza Dough
I love the taste emmental gives to my pizza dough. It's really unique and blend well with ham, tomatoes and roasted veggies
What Did I Put On My Low Carb Pizza? - If my pizza pics make you hungry here's the topping:
I used a store bought all natural tomato sauce: no sugar (or fake sugar) added and no crap such as modified corn starch and other fillers. Just plain good tomatoes, veggies and spices. To the sauce I added 1 chopped garlic clove. I topped with ham, roasted veggies (onions, green, red and yellow peppers and mushroom) and added just a little bit of French Comte Cheese (an old vintage cheddar will do).
Now obviously you can top with anything you like.
Cauliflower goes well with cream, so next time I will top with fresh cream, crispy bacon and roasted onions or/and peppers and mushroom.
How I Grate Or Rice Cauliflower
When I do this, I do a complete cauliflower and keep in the fridge for about 7/8 days. I use it in low carb cheese bread recipes, low carb pizza dough, as "rice" or "couscous" and in soups,. If you don't think you will use all, just do the amount you need.
I learned this cool trick from The Big Red Kitchen. Check how she does it.
Why I Eat Low Carb Pizza
and other low carb, wheat free food
I have been eating low carb and (almost) wheat free for a while now because I just feel better that way. I loose weight, I have more energy, I am no longer bloated, no more gas. Anyone who has been low carbing for good will tell you the same. My skeptical doctor even had to finally agree with me. My blood test are even better than ever. I never had any medical condition (besides a lazy thyroid that makes me hypo) but I have always gain weight easily especially when I ate too much wheat stuff. So after reading a bit I went low carb and almost wheat free (I live in France currently and yes from time to time I enjoy a good croissant or an excellent freshly baked baguette from the boulangerie).
© 2013 Nathalie Roy