Sour Cream and Cinnamon Pastry
These melt on your tongue
You would almost think these were made with phylo dough because they are so light and airy. Try whipping up a batch of these and watch them disappear right before your eyes.
Imagine the aroma of cinnamon and sugar wafting through your home snaking its way around corners and upstairs to your room. You are still tucked up in the bed under those warm and toasty covers. It is your day off from work so you are in no hurry to toss aside those covers, place your feet on the floor, and say hello to the day.
This day you cannot remain in that cozy spot thought. The aroma is luring you to the kitchen where something mouth watering awaits you.
This morning it is a light, tender melt-on-your-tongue breakfast pastry: thin layers of feather-light dough bursting with flavor.
You can make this same tender, flaky pastry right in your own kitchen.
Take time to make them perfection!!
This breakfast pastry does take some time. It actually takes about 10 minutes from the time you mix all ingredients together until you have it on your work space. Kneading gently, forming into a rectangle, further preparations, and cutting into strips and then twisting takes about 20 minutes.
Then one hour to rise, 15 minutes to bake, and they are ready for you to enjoy.
I wish I had known these tips the first time I made this...
Tips I wish I had known the first time I made this:
- The recipe calls for about 1 1/2 cups flour reserved on your work space.
- You will use it to keep your board and dough from becoming too sticky.
- Use it sparingly.
- You will use perhaps 3/4 of a cup but it is better to have the additional flour on hand in case you need it.
- Move the dough some as you are preparing it in order to avoid sticking. If you feel it begin to stick, lift the edge and scoot a little flour underneath.
- Be sure you allow the dough to rise in a warm place for the full hour. That will give it the delightful texture that makes them have the airy texture they when they are ready to serve.
- You can make a glaze to go on them with confectioners sugar, lemon juice, a little sour cream and a dash of water. It gives a nice refreshing tang. They are fine with no glaze for sure.
A Lovely Dough for Expertly Prepared Delights
Ingredients Are Assembled
All Ingredients Are Being Blended Together, Gently.
Dough Is Shaped into a Rectangle
Cinnamon Sugar Ready to Go
- 3 cups all purpose flour, sifted, twice
- 2/3 cup sour cream, lukewarm
- 1 egg, large
- 3 tabslespoons granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup water, lukewarm
- 1 package dry yeast
- 2 1/2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1/2 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1 rounded teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 1/2 cups flour, reserved , for board
Dough Blanketed with Cinnamon and Brown Sugar
- Dissolve yeast in lukewarm water.
- Add all other ingredients.
- Blend until all flour is incorporated.
- Turn onto floured board knead gently until a nice ball forms. You are not looking for the elastic feel like you get when making loaf bread.
- Roll out into about 20 inch by 6 inch rectangle.
- Spread with 2 tablespoons of soft butter.
- Mix brown sugar and cinnamon together. Spoon onto buttered dough.
- Fold one half of dough onto the top of the other half.
- Cut in one inch strips. Twist as shown in the pictures.
- Place on greased baking sheet and let rise for one hour.
- Bake at 375 for about 15 minutes. Let bake until golden brown.
- All nutrition information is approximate.
|Serving size: 1 twist|
|Calories from Fat||18|
|% Daily Value *|
|Fat 2 g||3%|
|Saturated fat 1 g||5%|
|Carbohydrates 15 g||5%|
|Sugar 10 g|
|Fiber 1 g||4%|
|Protein 2 g||4%|
|Cholesterol 25 mg||8%|
|* The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change depending on your calorie needs. The values here may not be 100% accurate because the recipes have not been professionally evaluated nor have they been evaluated by the U.S. FDA.|
Twists Are Ready to Rise
Poofy twists have been allowed to rise.
Other ways to prepare:
- Add chopped pecans or walnuts to the brown sugar and cinnamon mixture.
- You can omit the cinnamon and sugar and slather on a thin layer of your favorite preserves.
- Make a cream cheese spread using our favorite flavors.
copyright 2011-2013 pstraubie48 TM All Rights Reserved