- Food and Cooking»
- Cooking Ingredients
Pumpkin Pie Spice Recipe
Ingredients for a Pumpkin Spice Recipe
Many recipes call for Pumpkin Pie Spice. This blend of spices costs more than four dollars for a little jar at the grocery store, but you can mix your own using ingredients you probably already have on hand and save money.
Pumpkin pie spice, sometimes called pumpkin spice, blends together several "warm spices", such as cinnamon, ginger and nutmeg, to give a rich flavor to your homemade pumpkin pie or other dishes.
While we usually think of using this spice in pumpkin pie, there are other dishes that call for it, such as sweet potato pie, cookies, cakes and custards. You can sprinkle it on egg nog or over your latte. Yum!
It is very easy and cheap to make your own pumpkin pie spice. This recipe is flexible, depending upon what you have on hand, and what your taste preferences are. It provides a guide for you to use in mixing your own, unique pumpkin pie spice.
- Ground cinnamon
- Ground nutmeg
- Ground ginger
- Ground allspice
- cloves or mace
- 1. Put 1/4 c. (or 4 tablespoons) of ground cinnamon in a small bowl to serve as your
- 2. Add 1 to 2 tablespoons of ground ginger, according to your taste. There is flexibility in the amount of ginger you use, but you do not want to leave it out. Ginger is an important ingredient in Pumpkin Pie Spice.
- 3. Add 1 to 2 tablespoons of nutmeg, according to taste. Nutmeg is another crucial ingredient, so do not leave this out.
- 4. Add 1 teaspoon to 1 tablespoon cloves or allspice. You can also use a blend of cloves and allspice, such as 1 1/2 teaspoon cloves and 1 1/2 teaspoon allspice. Which spice and how much you use depends upon your taste and what you have on hand.
- 5. Add up to 1/2 teaspoon mace, if desired. The mace is optional. It is strongly flavored, so do not use too much. A small amount is sufficient.
- 6. Mix the ingredients thoroughly, then store your pumpkin pie spice in an airtight container.
- Image credit
Pumpkin Pie Spice Poll
Do You Make Your Own Pumpkin Pie Spice?
Pumpkin Pie Spice Products
If you do not want to make your own pumpkin pie spice, you can shop for some here.
No Bake Pumpkin Pie - Here is a recipe where you can use your homemade pumpkin pie spice!
Here is a fabulous no-bake pumpkin pie recipe where you can use your newly made pumpkin pie spice! This is super easy, you don't have to bake it at all, and it always gets rave reviews. Check it out!
Tell us if you have tried this recipe and what you think. Where will you use pumpkin pie spice?