My Favorite Vegetarian Lasagna Recipes
Welcome Lasagna Lover!
Easy recipes for delicious comfort food!
You don't have to be a meat eater to enjoy a tasty lasagna! It's amazing what you can cook between sheets of pasta and serve with a fresh salad. Ever since the Italians created this recipe, it has been adapted to suit the palettes of people from different cultures and traditions. Even the types of cheeses can differ, although parmesan, mozarella, feta and cheddar work the best in my opinion. Although my family are not vegetarians, we enjoy the variety of vegetarian food. There are so many different types of beans and vegetables that can make a delicious combination with cheese.
Please note that in the following recipes I use dried, pre-cooked lasagna sheets, but if you prefer to use fresh or ones that haven't been pre-cooked, then you will need to follow the packet instructions.
So get your apron on and get cooking to create a tasty meal for your family tonight!
- 175 g lasagna verde
- 350 g tomatoes
- 225 g onion
- 350 g zucchini (courgettes)
- 1 tablspoon oil
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- Salt and pepper
- 454 g plain yoghurt
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 75 g feta cheese
- Preheat oven to Gas 6 (200C, 400F)
- Peel the onions and chop with the tomatoes and zucchini . Heat oil in large pan and cook vegetables until soft and well broken down. Stir in the basil, seasoning and tomato paste.
- Layer up with the lasagna sheets in your lasagna pan. Mix together the yoghurt, beaten eggs, cumin and crumbled cheese and seasoning. Place on top of lasagna and bake for 40 mins until set.
Red Kidney Bean Lasagna
- 200 g dried red kidney beans (soaked overnight)
- about 175g lasagna sheets
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 2 onions
- 1 tin of peeled tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons red wine
- salt and pepper to taste
- 50 g butter
- 50 g flour
- 1 pint milk
- 100 g cheese- e.g. cheddar or edam
- Preheat oven to Gas 6 (200C or 400F)
- Drain the red kidney beans, place in pan of cold water, bring to the boil and simmer briskly for about 1 hour, until soft. Drain.
- Chop and fry onions in oil until beginning to soften, then add tomatoes, wine and cinnamon. Bring to the boil, season with salt and pepper and mash a little to incorporate the red kidney beans.
- Meanwhile in a separate pan, melt the butter and stir in the flour until evenly mixed. Gradually add milk, stirring until smooth, then bring to the boil, still stirring until thickened. Remove from heat and add seasoning to taste and grated cheese.
- Layer up the lasagna, alternating with the bean and tomato mixture, lasagna sheets and cheese sauce, finishing with the cheese sauce.
- Bake for 40-45 minutes.
Red Pepper And Spinach Lasagna
A vegetable lasagna recipe, oozing with different types of cheese
This is a firm favorite of my son. Now married, his wife says that she has to make this for him! It is packed with much-needed vitamins and minerals! A great way to get in your "five a day" requirements! The roasted, red peppers give it a delicious sweet taste that nicely compliments the spinach and cheese.
- 5 thickly sliced red peppers
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vineagar
- 3 finely chopped/pressed garlic cloves
- 250 g fresh baby spinach
- 150 -175g lasagna sheets
- 2 x150g packets thickly sliced mozzarella cheese
- 50 g butter
- 50 g flour
- 600 ml (1 pint) milk
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tsp dijon mustard
- 150 g grated parmesan
- Preheat oven to Gas 4 (180C, 350F)
- Place peppers in a roasting tin, drizzle with oil and vinegar. Roast for 20 mins, add garlic and roast for further 10 mins, until peppers are softened and charred.
- Meanwhile wilt spinach in large pan with a splash of water for 2 mins only. Season well and set aside.
- To make the cheese sauce, warm milk and bay leaf together, but do not boil. Melt butter in pan, add flour and stir until well mixed, then gradually add milk until smooth. Bring to the boil, stirring constantly, then remove bay leaf. Stir in mustard and half the parmesan cheese.
- To layer up the lasagna, scatter over half the peppers, half the spinach and half the mozzarella. Top with layer of lasagna. Repeat, finishing with the final third of the sauce. Scatter over the remaining cheese and bake for 25-30 mins.
© 2012 Christine Hulme