- Food and Cooking
Red White and Blue Cupcakes
Patriotic Cupcakes in Red White and Blue!
If you want to make red white and blue cupcakes then look no further! Recipes and inspiration for everything from Stars and Stripes or Union Jack cupcakes, to red white and blue layer cupcakes and more!
Learn how to make red, white and blue buttercream frosting and decorate your cupcakes with red white and blue themed designs.
These red white and blue cupcakes are perfect for the Diamond Jubilee, 2012 Olympics, 4th of July parties and so much more!
Photo Credit: Copyright of the author
This work is the copyright of the author (2012). Please DO NOT copy this elsewhere either in print or online. Photos are copyright of the author or credited sources.
The easiest way to create red white and blue cupcakes is to make plain cupcakes with coloured frosting. These come out light and fluffy, and are delicious in the summer if you keep them in the fridge, as the frosting goes stiff and cool and yummy!
- Prep time: 10 min
- Cook time: 25 min
- Ready in: 35 min
- Yields: Up to 12
- FOR THE CUPCAKES:
- 125 g self raising flour
- 125 g caster sugar (super fine sugar)
- 125 g unsalted butter (softened)
- 2 medium-sized eggs
- 2 tablespoons milk
- FOR THE FROSTING:
- 350 g icing sugar
- 175 g unsalted butter (softened)
- 3 tablespoons boiling water
- Vanilla extract
- Red liquid food colouring
- Blue liquid food colouring
- FOR THE CUPCAKES
- 1. Pre-heat the oven to 190 degrees (Gas mark 5)
- 2. Line a 12-hole muffin tray with cupcake cases
- 3. Beat the sugar and butter in a bowl with a hand mixer until light and fluffy
- 4. Add the eggs, milk and flour, and beat until you get a nice smooth mixture
- 5. Spoon the cupcake mix equally across the cases, and bake in the oven for 15 minutes (or until risen and golden on top)
- 6. Transfer to a wire rack to cool
- TOP TIP: This recipe makes 12 standard size cupcakes, which means you will have 4 red, 4 blue and 4 white cupcakes. If you want more, just double or triple the ingredients accordingly, or make in batches. 24 cupcakes will give you 8 of each colour and so on.
- FOR THE FROSTING
- 1. Put the softened butter in a bowl and beat with a hand mixer to soften it even more
- 2. Add the icing sugar, water and a few drops of vanilla extract, and beat again until you get a mixture that is very smooth and pale
- 3. Get two more bowls and divide the mixture between the three evenly
- 4. Keep one bowl as it is. Add a few drops of blue food colouring to the second bowl and stir in. Add more, one drop at a time, until you reach the desired shade of blue
- 5. Repeat with the third bowl using the red food colouring. Add a drop at a time to reach the desired colour
- 6. Use a piping tube to frost your cupcakes (make sure they are cool). Fill the piping bag with the plain white frosting and pipe gently in a circular motion to build up a swirled topping on each cupcake
- 7. Wash out the piping tube and dry before frosting with the next colour (unless you have more than one piping bag of course!). Repeat with the blue buttercream, and again with the red buttercream
- 8. Leave them plain or decorate with chocolates, sweeties, non pareils, dragees, wafer flowers, edible pearls and so on. I topped these with pearls for the Queen's Jubilee, to represent her crown. You could top with chocolate stars for a stars and stripes theme and so on.
- TOP TIP: Depending on the brand of food coloring you use, you may find it difficult to create a proper red colour. If you add too much colouring it will give the frosting a bitter taste, so many will just turn the buttercream a salmon shade of pink. The Americolor brand is said to to be the best as it needs only a few drops to go a true red. Alternatively, you may prefer to buy premade red buttercream icing if you struggle to make true red with your chosen brand.
Red Buttercream Icing
True red buttercream can be difficult to achieve unless you have a very good food colouring that works well. The alternative is to buy ready made red buttercream for your red cakes, such as this buttercream fondant.
More Superb Red White and Blue Cupcakes Recipes - How to make cupcake batter red white and blue, plus swirled red white and blue frosting and more!
- Patriotic Red White and Blue Cupcakes
Make superb red white and blue cupcakes with buttercream frosting - how to make the actual cupcakes red white and blue all the way through!
- Red White and Blue Swirl Cupcakes
Make amazing red white and blue cupcakes with a red white and blue swirled frosting
- Nigella Lawson Red White and Blue Cupcakes
Perfect Street Party cupcakes from the Domestic Goddess herself
- Red White and Blue Ice-Cream Cone Cupcakes
Ideal for summer, make red white and blue cupcakes with a twist!
Making Red White and Blue Cupcakes for...
Are you looking to make red white and blue cupcakes? What are you making them for?
Red White and Blue Cupcakes Video Tutorials and Inspirations
Union Jack Cupcakes
Learn how to make Union Jack cupcakes - the perfect choice for a Diamond Jubilee street party or celebration, supporting Great Britain in the Olympics, or fo...