- Food and Cooking
Rendang aTaste of Indonesia
How to Cook a Rendang
Do you rendang? It makes a startling change from the old Irish stew that hangs around in my childhood memories.
I don't know if the alleged Irish stew was ever eaten in Ireland, they probably get stuck into rendang themselves in the Emerald Isle.
Rendang is a mild meat curry - but it's really nothing like curry at all. It's basically a beef stew spiced up with galangal root, lemongrass, kerisik, lime leaves, and coriander seeds.
Don't know how much 500g is? It's roughly 1lb. Here's a handy Conversion table for anything else.
The authentic rendang recipe calls for kerisik but, here in Australia, I use a tin of coconut milk. (Coconuts don't grow on trees in the south of the continent).
It may not be 100% authentic but the taste is absolutely superb and, with the lemongrass and lime to lift the flavour, it's always a big hit with family and guests.
- Prep time: 1 hour
- Cook time: 30 min
- Ready in: 1 hour 30 min
- Yields: 6
- 500 g stewing beef chopped
- garlic clove
- stalk of lemongrass chopped
- 4 medium onions chopped
- 2 cups of coconut milk
- half a cup of red curry paste or to your own taste
- pinch of turmeric powder
- 1 bunch of fresh coriander
- fresh red chili pepper finely chopped optional
- Place the beef in a medium saucepan, and add enough water to cover it. This is stewing beef and needs to be cooked a fair bit before you throw it in the wok. Cover, and simmer over low heat for at least an hour.Take it out, and set it aside. Better still, do this the night before.
- Heat the oil in a wok over medium-high heat.
- Add in the garlic and stir fry for a few seconds before stirring in the lemon grass and onions.
- Reduce heat to medium, and stir in the coconut milk, red curry paste, turmeric, and chili pepper.
- Now you get to the beef. Put it in the wok, mix it into the sauce and cover the wok.
- Simmer for 10 minutes over medium heat. Turn off the heat.
- Chop up your fresh coriander and stir it in briefly just before serving. (Save some for garnishing).
Simmer the beef for at least an hour
Make your own paste or buy a jar?
This quick and easy recipe uses red curry paste straight from the jar. If you're an adventurous cook you can make the paste in your blender with candlenuts, shrimp paste (terasi, belacan, blachang, mam tep) shallots, galangal, fresh turmeric, sweet chillies, lemongrass and toasted coriander seeds.
I don't have all of those ingredients sitting around in my cupboard, so I just use a jar of red curry paste. It's easy enough to buy
Ingredient : Kerisik
The authentic Rendang recipe calls for kerisik, which is toasted fresh grated coconut.
Can't get kerisik? I have trouble too. Use coconut milk instead.
Ingredient : Coriander
I believe that Coriander is called Cilantro in some places. At any rate, you can recognise it from this photo
Ingredient : Galangal
What's galangal? It's a rhizome - one of the group of knobby underground stems that are pungent and full of flavour. It's hot, and ginger-peppery.
Greater galangal is also called Laos Ginger, or Thai Ginger and sometimes even Siamese ginger.
This creamy white-fleshed rhizome can be found in Asian markets.
Rendang Ayam cooking demonstration
From Asia Downunder - a Chicken Rendang
Rendang in the Slow Cooker
First, take 1 and 1/2 kilos, about 3 lbs, beef suitable for stewingt, cut into chunky pieces. Put the beef in your slow cooker.
- Prep time: 10 min
- Cook time: 9 hours 50 min
- Ready in: 10 hours
- Yields: 6
- Place 1.5k chopped beef in slowcooker
- In a blender or food processor combine-
- 4 -6 red chilies
- stemmed and coarsely chopped
- one onion chopped
- fresh ginger peeled and chopped small amount to taste
- 3 garlic cloves chopped
- 1 stalk lemongrass- tough outer layers removed and the tender insides finely sliced
- 1/3 cup tamarind paste combined with 1/3 cup warm water
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander or 1 tablespoon fresh
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- Puree the ingredients in the blender until smooth, then pour over the beef.
- Stir in a medium size can of coconut milk and cook, covered, on the low setting for 6 - 8 hours.
- Open the slow cooker. Ladle most of the sauce into a small saucepan and cook on the stove top over medium high heat to reduce until slightly thickened, about 30 minutes.
- Pour the sauce back in the cooker and cook on high for 30 minutes to 1 hour longer.. Check if it's too thin (runny)
- Stir in 2 teaspoons sugar and season with salt to taste.
Safety First when you use the Slow Cooker!
- Slow Cooking Basics for Safety in the Kitchen
Slow cookers are enjoying a return of popularity .. for very good reasons. A long cooking time lets you start the evening meal before leaving for work. Reduce the washing up to save time and water with this truly one pot cooking method. However,...
Prep Time: 5
Total Time: 15
Serves: 4 - 6
Recipe : Serve with Cucumber and Tomato Salad
- 4 chopped tomatoes
- 2 cucumbers peeled and diced
- One chopped onion
- Squeeze of lemon juice
- Place in a salad bowl.
- Season to taste with salt and black pepper.
- Sprinkle with lemon juice.
Prep Time: 5
Total Time: 25 - 30
Serves: 4 - 6
Recipe : Serve with Perfect Steamed Rice
- 3 cups of Thai jasmine rice
- About about 3 and a half cups of water
- Wash the rice.
- Put the rice in a heavy pot, add water. How much water? Put your hand in the pot - spread your fingers out on the base - the water should cover your knuckles.
- Bring to a boil, and let it boil uncovered, without stirring, until steam holes appear in the rice and the grains on the surface look dry. Watch carefully, it doesn't take very long!
- Reduce heat to very, very low, then cover the pot with a tight-fitting lid and simmer 15 minutes.
- Remove from heat and let it stand, covered, for 5 minutes.
Prep Time: 5
Total Time: 5
Serves: 4 - 6
Recipe : Serve with Chunky Yoghurt Sauce
- 3 cups plain or Greek yoghurt
- 2 tablespoons chopped mint leaves
- 1 green chili cut in chunks and deseeded
- one chopped onion
- 1 teaspoon roasted ground cumin optional
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- In a bowl, add the salt, pepper, to the yoghurt and mix well. Taste and adjust seasoning.
- Add onion, green chili and mint leaves. Mix well.
- Transfer to a serving bowl. Garnish with (oprional) roasted cumin powder.
- Refrigerate until required.
Treat yourself to an authentic Indonesian feast at home!