Crock Pot Beef Rump Roast Recipe for Lunch or Dinner
Slow Cooker Pot Roast Recipe
How to Make Beef Rump Roast in a Slow Cooker
A rump roast beef dinner draws meat lovers with the promise of a down-home delicious meal any way you make it. Plus, the roast is so versatile as leftovers in an array of variety that is limited only by our imagination.
I like to use Rump Roast because it is so flexible and tender. The only problem I have is that sometimes the butcher leaves too much fat and I trim it off. Today's Rump Roast is perfect, about 4 pounds with just a patch of fat covering about 1/4 of the top side.
Remember, I tend to cook by feel, based on what ingredients I have on hand. Feel free to make any changes for your palate. I did not cook carrots with the roast because I was preparing a meal that would include a guest that does not care for them. You can always add carrots with the potatoes or take some of the beef broth from the slow cooker and prepare them on the stovetop or in a microwave, I have done both and that broth makes all the difference in the taste just like Mom used to make.
Let us get going on the Slow Cooker Beef Roast with Onions and Potatoes.
Beefy Crock Rump Roast
Prep and Cook Time
Ingredients For Rump Roast Beef Dinner
- 1 Beef Rump Roast
- 1 Tablespoon Better Than Bullion
- 2 Tablespoons Mustard, any kind, I use Jalapeño Mustard
- 1 1/2 Teaspoons Ground Pepper, fresh
- 2 Teaspoons Garlic Powder
- 3/4 Cup Merlot Cooking Wine
- 3 Cans Low Sodium Beef Broth
- 4 Medium Size Potatoes, I use Russets
- 1 Medium to Large Sweet Onion
Slow Cooker Rump Roast Beef Dinner Recipe Instructions
- Mix Bullion, Mustard, Pepper, and Garlic together to form a paste and spread it over the surface of the roast.
- Put the roast in a gallon size Zip Lock bag.
- Add: 3/4 Cup Merlot Cooking Wine or regular Merlot drinking wine. Zip the bag shut and marinate a few hours or, over night in the refrigerator, turning the bag every now and then to distribute the Merlot.
- Remove meat from bag and place the Rump Roast and merlot in slow cooker and add the prepared broth. I use 3 standard cans of fat free and low sodium beef broth.
- Cook on high for 1/2 hour and then reduce to medium heat for 3 hours.
- Remove roast to rest.
- Peel and quarter 4 medium potatoes. Place potatoes in slow cooker on high heat.
- Peel and quarter a medium or large sweet onion and skewer with tooth picks to hold together.
- Slice the Rump Roast.
- Place quartered onions in the slow cooker and place the roast beef slices that you will be using for the meal back into the slow cooker for a 1/2 hour or more.
- Package up portions of the Rump Roast slices and refrigerate or freeze according to when you will be using them. Remember, you may just want a roast beef sandwich tomorrow.
Roast beef, potatoes and onions dinner. Just add carrots!
Some say crock pot and some say slow cooker. Whatever, these pots are great for cooking a pot roast in and tossing in the veggies. They just make life easier for active people with other things to do during the day and I still have it for when guest are coming to visit.
I got my first crock pot as a wedding gift and have had it for many years, and it still works. I got a larger one when I had three children living at home.
A multi-cooker is great for game, even fish, chickens, pork, beef, or anything your heart desires.
I cook the Rump Roast dinner in a slow cooker.
- You may need to adjust the heat settings and time by your experience with what you are cooking in.
- I did not add salt because there is plenty in added ingredients, but feel free to add to your palates preference.
- Add your favorite ingredients as options.
Slow Cooker Beef Pot Roast Recipe Video
Crock Pot Recipe~Easy Pot Roast made with a Beef Bottom Round or Rump Roast Video
Best Slow Cookers
I love using a slower cooker for meats and main dishes. It makes the house smell so good for hours. If you need to go to work its easy to have a hot meal ready to eat at the end of the day.
The slow cookers come in several different sizes and colors.
Crock pots make wonderful house warming gifts, wedding gifts, or a gift for any occasion for people who love a home cooked meal but do not have a lot time to spend in the kitchen.
I hope you got some great tips from my Roast Beef Dinner Recipe and cooking style. Thank you for stopping by.
I have a whole collection of My Own Original Recipes if you are interested in checking some of them out Here.
Crock Pot vs Slow Cooker
Which do you say?
Delicious One Pot Meal
A Meal Fit For A King
Many times when I was growing up Mom would cook a beef roast in a roast in the oven and add the peeled potatoes and carrots for a family sit down meal. I believe it was one of my Dad's favorite meals. It ready was and is still a meal fit for a king.
One thing Dad always had to have with dinner or lunch was a piece of buttered bread or toast. Usually, it was Mom homemade wheat bread. I have to agree with him, that this delicious dinner is even better with a good slice of bread.