Summer Vegetable Greek Pasta
I love this time of year when I can get beautiful zucchini and yellow squash that is locally grown. Every year I use these summer squash in tried and true recipes, as well as experimenting with them a bit and coming up with a new way to serve them to my family. So this morning I was thinking what I could do with the two zucchini and one yellow squash that I had on hand and I decided today I felt like making something a little greek inspired. I had a block of organic feta cheese that has been tempting me each time I open the cheese drawer in my fridge. Using these two ingredients as a starting point, I assembled a meal that pleased my whole family. My daughter, 7, and son, 3, both were members of the Clean Plate Club tonight! So if you are looking for a tasty, crowd-pleasing dinner that is great for vegetarians or to serve on Meatless Monday, this may be the dish for you! Give it a try, and then come back and let me know how you liked it!
Prep Time: 5-10 minutes
Total Time: 35-40 minutes
- 2 Zucchini Squashes, diced
- 1 Yellow Squash, diced
- 1 -2 Roma Tomatoes, diced
- 8 oz. Feta Cheese, crumbled
- 3 -4 Kale Leaves, stems removed and chopped or torn into small pieces
- 2 Teaspoons Dried Oregano
- 1 lb Penne Pasta, cooked
- 1/4 cup pasta water
I use this brand of pasta for this meal. I love the taste and texture of the noodles, and I am trying to use more organic foods for my family.
- First, bring a large pot of water on to boil for the pasta. While you are waiting for it to come to a boil, start chopping the veggies. Quarter the squash lengthwise, then slice them into 1 inch pieces, although I cut mine smaller to accommodate my three year old. Add the Zucchini and Squash to the saute pan with a little olive oil.
- While the zucchini starts to brown, dice the tomato. Cook your pasta according to the directions on the packaging. Once the zucchini is tender, add the tomato and stir it all together.
- Next, mix in the oregano to the veggie mixture. Add the Kale pieces on top of the veggies. Cover and turn the burner to low, letting the kale steam a bit, before mixing it all together.
- In a large serving bowl, crumble about half of the block of feta. Drain the pasta and reserve the 1/4 cup pasta water stirring it into the feta crumbles. Add the pasta and stir it into the cheese.
- Give the veggies a stir and add them into the pasta mixture. Mix them up well and add the remaining feta, either mixing it in or sprinkling it on top.
- Serve with fresh baked bread and butter.
|Serving size: 1 Plate|
|Calories from Fat||45|
|% Daily Value *|
|Fat 5 g||8%|
|Carbohydrates 29 g||10%|
|Sugar 4 g|
|Protein 9 g||18%|
|Sodium 477 mg||20%|
|* The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change depending on your calorie needs. The values here may not be 100% accurate because the recipes have not been professionally evaluated nor have they been evaluated by the U.S. FDA.|
I have been a big fan of McCormick spices for yearrs, and I have been replacing my old jars with their organic counterparts. I actually used up the last of my old bottle making this recipe, so I have a new bottle on its way to me now!