- Food and Cooking»
- World Cuisines»
- Southeast Asian Cuisine
Tofu mushroom summer rolls - Goi cuon dau phu
For demonstrated video please scroll the the page bottom
Having homemade tofu and some spared mushroom - in a hot summer day like this, I opted for tofu mushroom summer roll.
For what is summer roll please go to summer roll recipe.
After all, cooking in self-sufficient condition is playing around with available ingredients and make the best out of it.
When I was in Vietnam, living close to the market, we had every single ingredients at hand. Strange enough, we kept repeating these old recipes.
Living in the Europe, going to supermarket once a week, we learnt to be creative, to be long with the short.
Make 6-8 rolls
2 oz. dried vermicelli, cooked and let drained and fluffy
8 rice paper for summer roll = banh trang goi cuon = bánh tráng gỏi cuốn
5 oz. tofu, diced
3 oz. mushroom, sliced
1/2 small-medium onion, peeled and thinly sliced
8 lettuce leaves
1 small carrot, peeled, julienned
8-14 pickled onions/ 8 baby gherkin
Sweet basil , add distinct fragrant
- Cook rice vermicelli, following how to cook rice vermicelli
- Prepare tofu and mushroom. Dice tofu, slice mushroom into medium thick slice (mine was too thin), slice onion. Heat oil into a nonstick skillet over high heat and fry tofu till golden brown but remaining silky inside. Transfer to a container and mix with 1-2 tbsp soy sauce. In the same skillet, after pour out hot oil but 1 tbsp. add onion and stir, before it turns brown, add mushroom and stir, add soy sauce and cook for 3 minutes then transfer to another container.
- Prepare other ingredients
- Prepare a wrap&roll station (a chopping board or a flat surface lined with damp tea towel), a large bowl of warm water and start to roll.
Basically, quickly dip the rice paper into warm water then lie it on the working surface, place a lettuce leaf lengthwise, top with vermicelli, other ingredients and roll it tightly.
- Serve whole or cut each roll into four pieces. Serve with dipping sauce.
- Arrange everything on the table, give everyone a plate and guide people to roll their own roll
- Roll and serve as starter
- Cut into pieces and serve as nibbles food
Serve with hoisin sauce, peanut sauce or your signature sauce
- Cut the mushroom into medium thick slice so it will not be lost in other ingredients, mine was too thin
- Dice the tofu so enhance its texture and flavour
- If you could get hold of sweet basil, please do
- Please do not soak rice paper, give it a quick dip into warm water, it will be soft but remaining resilient when you roll it. (It's quite frustrated seeing people keep soaking rice paper till soft and fragile). It might be a discovery, knowing that the moisture from a quick dip would be enough to make rice paper soft.
- I'll guide you another way to make rice paper soft so you don't need to place a bowl of water on the table. Everyone can grab a paper and roll their own roll, forget about soften part.