Two-Potato Creamy Soup
I love making soup and then eating some and freezing individual servings to enjoy later. Today I made this two-potato creamed soup. I added a can of cream of asparagus soup, cheddar cheese, and sour cream to make it extra creamy.
It's delicious! The sour cream and sharp cheddar cheese I used give this creamy soup a nice tang.
I made up this recipe because I had too many sweet potatoes and a couple of large russet potatoes on hand. So the name two-potato soup doesn't refer to using two potatoes; it refers to two types of potatoes. I love both kinds and they go great together in this easy soup!
Make It Vegetarian
I used bacon grease to cook the onions, but it also works fine with olive oil or vegetable oil.
Prep Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: about 1.5 hours
- 2 large sweet potatoes or yams
- 2 large white potatoes
- 1/2 yellow onion
- 1 tablespoon bacon grease or other oil
- 2 cups milk
- 1/2 cup reduced fat sour cream
- 1 can cream of asparagus soup
- 3/4 cup cheddar cheese
- salt and pepper
- Put large stockpot with water on the stove and bring to a boil.
- Peel sweet potatoes or yams. Chop into small, bite-sized pieces. Add to boiling water. Boil for about 10 minutes.
- Peel white potatoes. Chop into small, bite-sized pieces. Add to the sweet potatoes. Boil all for another 12 to 15 minutes until all potatoes are fork tender.
- Meanwhile chop onion into small pieces.
- Drain the water by pouring the potatoes into a strainer in the sink.
- Put stockpot back on the burner, reduce heat to medium-low. Add bacon grease or oil then the diced onions, stirring often. Cook for about 5 minutes.
- Add potatoes back into pot. Add milk and stir.
- Add cream of asparagus soup and sour cream. Stir till creamy.
- Taste to see if you need to add some salt and pepper.
- Cook on low heat for another 20 minutes. Stir a few times so the soup doesn't stick. It will be creamy and thick.
- Just before serving, add cheese. Turn off heat. Stir to incorporate cheese.
- Serve with crackers or bread.