Wondering if my hubs are up to standard

Jump to Last Post 1-3 of 3 discussions (10 posts)
  1. MeGunner profile image61
    MeGunnerposted 13 years ago

Hi everyone. Over a month on hubpages but the traffic is not encouraging. Followed the advice of some 'expert' hubbers but I'm just not sure if I'm even writing the 'right kind of things'. Your feedback is highly appreciated. Here is my latest hub: http://hubpages.com/hub/Doctors-Diary-A … -In-The-ER

1. Randy Godwin profile image61
      Randy Godwinposted 13 years agoin reply to this

It depends on what you are trying to achieve, MG.  Are you just looking for readers or do you intend to make money on your writing? 

I notice you don't have very many tags on your hub.  Do you use Adsense keywords to try to draw traffic to your hubs?  Even if you do not write primarily for the money these keywords help direct traffic to your article.

Break your paragraphs down into smaller sections and add some photos to break up the white space.  Check out some of the better hubber's articles to see what I mean.  Good luck!

Forgot to add!  Do not expect to get great traffic for a few months.  It takes time to get established and to learn the ropes here.

MeGunnerposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Thanks so much. Well, am just writing cos I love to. i believe if I do it wee, then money'll eventually come. I don't know about the adsense keywords. I will find out asap.

2. nikki1 profile image60
    nikki1posted 13 years ago

Incredible hub.

Thank you.

1. nikki1 profile image60
        nikki1posted 13 years agoin reply to this

U r welcome. It mainly how to share your stories to the world without spamming. Lots of forums,. Good luck.

3. Shadesbreath profile image79
    Shadesbreathposted 13 years ago

You asked for advice, so, I'll drop in my two cents from where I come from  as a writer (a NON monetized approach, focused on story telling and craft of writing them).

First, proofread it, there are several grammatical things that break the "fictional dream" as it is called.  Which is a shame, because the scenes you paint are dramatic and riveting... or they will be when you fix the easy stuff that stops the eye from being sucked into the intense things you are describing. Dude, you can write.

Second, essentially this piece is "memoir."  Which is great, you can do well with that stuff on here, although probably not a ton of cash, but a following of readership on HP and a smattering of links etc. here and there, eventually scrape off a hundred bucks and a lot of personal gratification.  However, and specifically, I suggest you work a bit more reflection in between scenes. There's a lot of jargon and hard core medical stuff, which is great, don't get me wrong, but, it starts to become a "day in the life" sort of thing rather than a story that someone who doesn't live in that world can become emotionally distant from.  You really write your scenes very well, very lucid, visceral, but as readers without that experience, we need to be included somehow, a bit of reflection, how you experienced it as a person - you aren't just a medical machine are you?  I realize as a professional, you have to have distance to be able to do it, but if you TELL THE STORY of it with the same distance as you the job, it becomes a littany of details that I, as a fellow human, have no way to connect to.  It's too far away from where I "live" as another human not living in your world.  Story teller is a different job than medical man; it requires a different kind of sensitivity.

Feel free to tell me to F-off as a bombastic blah, blah, and I'll get it totally.  I only pipe in like this because your story is so good and has so much promise.

F-in Shadesbreath. Appreciate your candour, although I've read your advice 3x and am still not sure if I get your message in full. Thanks a lot. I thought I struck the right balance by not being 'robotically medical' while telling a medical story. I obviously messed that up. Will try to work on it

1. Shadesbreath profile image79
        Shadesbreathposted 13 years agoin reply to this

It's tough to do, because it is a balance, a dance.  And no two songs, no dancers are the same. Plus, as writers, it's important to NOT get too sentimental.  That's a total turn off - it's easy, cheap writing: save it for Hallmark, you know? I think it can be useful when done drafting a story and preparing to start revisions to ask of your story's narrator : "What is at stake?"

Building tension through a story includes crafting the tense scenes (which you have a gift for), and building an underlying understanding in your reader of how those events threaten or stand before something that the narrator cares about or needs.

In your story, the reflection at the end is cool, but it comes suddenly.  Where was that guy during all those horrible scenes?

The challenge you have is that you can't be all soppy and emotional in those scenes because your patients need your strength and calm to save them.  If you try to gush or divert from your narrative and move into thoughts of sorrow or dread (which you probably don't have during those moments anyway, being a pro), then you risk ruining your really awesome scene with sentimentality. The readers want/need to see your strength.

So, your task as a story teller will require the same surgical delicacy with your words as your work does with your hands. The RIGHT word here, a precise use of metaphor there is all.  More would likely be ruinous.

Guy, you are just great!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)