What will be the hot technology trend in 2009 ?

Jump to Last Post 1-16 of 16 discussions (25 posts)
  1. hipattrick profile image60
    hipattrickposted 15 years ago

1. Cloud computing 
    2. SaaS
    3. Green IT
    4. Virtualization
    5. Other (Whatever else you may think of)

2. profile image0
    AngryITChickposted 15 years ago

As far as sales wise, I'd put my money on touch screen PC's,  and probably cell phones that double as Air Cards.  I'm sure the execs at my company will be asking for both

3. WHoArtNow profile image83
    WHoArtNowposted 15 years ago

Smartphones saw a huge increase in sales over 2008 and with more and more companies getting on board (see Acer/Dell/Microsoft rumours) So expect them to carry on selling like the proverbial hot cake.

I'm surprised you didn't mention the openly praised Windows 7 (due out later this year). I'm writing this reply from Firefox running on Windows 7 and I must say, it kick ass. So much better than Vista, it'll play a big part in (late 2009)

Keep an eye for all the new AF cars (electric and hydrogen) I'm not talking about Hybrids, because they don't really help the environment, it's just a con.

4G Should hopefully get some money spent on it. It has great potential especially if you live in the areas where it works!

Oh, and you have that new Super computer that's going to have 1.6 million cores, and be faster than all of the top 500 computers in the world today COMBINED!! (nuts!)

4. britneydavidson profile image61
    britneydavidsonposted 15 years ago

i think it should be Green IT

5. britneydavidson profile image61
    britneydavidsonposted 15 years ago

i think it should be Green IT

1. WHoArtNow profile image83
      WHoArtNowposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Green IT will play a big part in 2009, but it isn't really a 2009 trend. Mainly because it's been going on for the past year. AMD and Intel have spent a lot of time and money dropping the power usage of their CPU's.

Same with most components. The biggest being the quality of PSU's (power supplys). A 500w PSU from someone like Coolermaster is as good as some 850w PSU from other companies.

Put it this way, one of their 80+ Efficient PSU was used (on I'm guessing a casual friday) to jump start one of the workers car's in their R&D Labs.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dUIKygE52kE

6. Junkster profile image61
    Junksterposted 15 years ago

I think the netbook phenomenon will continue it's boom with lots of interesting developments especially with software.  There are two O/S options that people are excited over: Windows 7 which is said to scale wonderfully with lesser powered netbook processors etc as well as Jolicloud, a linux based OS built from the ground up with netbooks in mind. 

It looks like a mix of the already netbook friendly Linux distros and the iPhone software form the screenshots I've seen and will be open to almost every common pc use (flickr, facebook etc)  So that should be exciting, especially with the new Atom Processor at 1.66Ghz which will open the door for 720p videos on netbooks.  With no optical drive will services like netflix or simply HD online streaming like Youtube and Vimeo become your place for getting HD content?

All very interesting.  Obviously there'll be more HD ready netbooks and so these will become pretty popular in 2009/2010.  Asus and Acer probably leading the pack, but Sony's Vaio P with it's immense resolution and other HDTV companies like Samsung may release machines boasting some form of HD capable screen.

That's the main prediction I have for this year and have a few other ideas but I'll leave them for another day smile

7. JGarrick profile image56
    JGarrickposted 15 years ago

1. 1 to 3 TB harddrives
    2.6 to 8 Gb rams on computers
    3.cloud networks
    4.WiFi hardware perifferals
    5.alot of blue tooth devices
    6.windows 7 beta
    7.websites that u can actually watch movies which are still in theaters
    8.very nice phones like blackberry bold and its unborn sisters and brothers
    Thats all i can think of this moment. Peace to the tech world

1. Junkster profile image61
      Junksterposted 15 years agoin reply to this

I know people have 1.5tb drives at the moment and so you'd be right with the 3tb drives, 1tb laptop drives would be interesting/amazing. haha if onyl to put one in my PS£ and never worry about storage space ever again.

6 to 8gb or ram is already here on many of the new Nehalem core i7 motherboards, Asus have one I think, obviously 64 bit operating systems need only apply. smile

I thought about your point 5, and i think with some of the netbooks (i know, I'll stop banging on about them now) getting Bluetooth perhaps there'll be a ton of peripherals linked to them?

If we could watch movies from home rather than the cinema then we're obviously going to kill the million dollar revenue streams like overpriced tickets, overprised drinks, overpriced popcorn etc  So as cool as it would be I don't know whether it'd work, perhaps though this will be the next thing t oovercharged for on iTunes! haha

2. WHoArtNow profile image83

All currently available.
      1. Western Digital and Seagate have just launched 2tb hard drives
      2. My new gaming rig has 12gb of 1600mhx DDR3 ram
      3.Already available in UK in London and Bristol. Also known as 4G. Won;t take off till 2010 as not enough money has been pumped into it.
      4. Plenty of printers, scanners etc. etc. already available with inbuilt wifi.
      5. How many more do you want!!
      6. It';s not Beta that's important, it's Windows 7 which should be out by Christmas.
      7. Won't happen, to much money to be lost.
      8. Blackberry will of course have some ultra cool phones out this year. But the one to watch is Android. Yes windows will launch it's updated mobile 6.5, but it'll probably suck. there's suppose to be a new Symbian out too.

On the smart phone front, acer is launching at least 2 this year (after buying Eten last year) and Dell and M'soft are both rumoured (even though M'soft denies it!)

Netbooks (like Junkster said) will be a big part of 2009, especially as windows 7 works amazing on them! Tired it on one of the many Asus Eee's and it's faster than the original Linux OS.

Oh, encase you haven;t heard, some new micor technology means that 2TB SD cards could be available by the end of the year! Imagine your entire desktop, laptop, netbook, music, films, everything, on a tiny little card! Your phone will be your life!

Oh, and one other thing with the Ram in Pc's. Corsair has working prototypes of 32gb (per stick!) ram. It's the DDR3 2000mhz stuff. Imagine 6 sticks of that in your gaming rig! 192GB of ram!! Awesome!

Why on earth would you need that much RAM? lol

What motherboard are you on using 12gb on it? A core i7 one?  I fail to see at the moment where anything above 6 or 8gb will make a difference, unless you're running some serious scientific research work.  In which case a farm of PS3s tends to be the usual work horse. haha

Two terabyte SD cards? jeez, I have a terabyte, 320gb and a 120gb hard drive in my gaming PC and that still doesn't add up to one of them!

Yeah I'm running the new i7 set-up. Got the basic 920 cpu and the new XFX motherboard, which comes with some cool pre set over-clocking figures, so my 920 runs at the same speed as the 965!

I've got to admit, I've never maxxed out the ram on it, and yet with a GTX 295 in there I still can;t get a really crisp frame rte on Crysis at anything over mid-high settings! That game is such a power whore!

I've got over 2 TB of hard drive space. But over 3 computers! Laptop - 250Gb, Gaming Rig - 300GB Raptor + 120GB SSD, HTPC - 2TB for data, music and movies.

Something I forgot to mention before, touch screen applications and what not should be getting bigger in 2009, but near the end of year as Windows 7 will have multi touch control.

And rumour has it LG will be releasing 129 new phones in 2009. 129! Do they really need that many?!

The only one I took any notice of was the KU990 as it was the first phone I saw with a 5mp camera, plus it looked pretty cool.  Alot of their new ones look like that, hopefully not going to end up like Motorola with their neverending list of RAZR phones!

I just bought a few bits for my new machine (admittedly not as hardcore as yours, but hey, credit crunch and all that)  I bought the XFX 790i mobo as I've always had their graphics cards and been really impressed, turns out it's a Foxconn design so never had that before, or an intel board as I've been with AMD for most of my self-built PC life big_smile Got a 9800gtx+ and 2gb of ddr3 ram (for now) with 3ghz core2duo

I've got the 120gb for windows and programs (XP by the way), the 320gb is for music and the 1tb is for games, movies and downloaded tv shows smile  Although the majority of it is coccupied by Steam games at the moment, not tried crysis but have been enjoying playing Far Cry 2, that's an excellent game!

XFX stuff is awesome, really well made and they never fail! Yeah it is a hardcore rig, but by buying in the states and having it shipped over by a friend, I saved a fortune! www.newegg.com --> great site but they don;t deliver to the UK.

I doubt LG will go the same route at Moto, especially if they can get their android phone out within Q1 like they claim. Steam is great especially when if messes up. There have been soe cases of American's charged in £ and working out they've been ripped off because of the exchange rate, but sometimes it works the other way too, I bought Cs:source a few weeks ago (for some retro fun!) and they charged me in Dollers, worked out a few £ cheaper!

Are you an Axxo fan? wink

8. Junkster profile image61

Yeah, my past three graphics cards have been XFX, and I recently asked them where I could find extra PCI-Ex power cables on their support site, all they did was ask if my registered address was still the same, as soon as  I said yes a week later they had sent me two of them for free!

They're really great guys running that place and can't recommend them any more highly!  Hnce buying the motherboard by them. 

I reckon LG are making waves with the ammoun of projected phones to be released mainly because they're relatively new but nokia and sonyericsson releases hundreds a year, just that they're not that different from eachother, I can't keep up with their models even having to write about them for my job! 

But I remember my dad who works in the auto industry about five or six years ago told me that the big buzz in the electronics industry was LG were going to start making mobiles, TVs and other gadgets. I scoffed the idea back then, but he said if he were a stock market guy then he'd buy their's right away, needless to say it's now 2009 and LG are one of the top mobile phone manufacturers and make loads of HD TVs too.  That'll show me for not taking my father's advice!

What's Axxo?  I've seen a few references to downloading films but I haven't really done that in recent years, DVDs over here are super cheap, blurays I buy off people in the UK who watch them once and sell them off. big_smile

I wish I had an american friend to ship stuff to me, I got really stung when importing the 790i ultra, but after tax and duty it still worked out much cheaper than buying in the UK.

9. r2punks profile image61
    r2punksposted 15 years ago

I believe this year should see a huge jump in the sales of Netbooks. I would expect netbooks to become more mainstream this year and by next year probably carried around by students in schools.

10. profile image0
    artspeckposted 15 years ago

I agree with r2punks, but what I'm watching closely is the new technology for TVs.
    It's an oled (organic light emitting diode) screen from Sony giving a contrast ration of 1 million to one.
    I understand they are already available, but the largest screen size is only 11 inch.

11. rharper profile image81
    rharperposted 15 years ago

A guess..

Larger flash memory.  I believe the hard drive will become
    obsolete. Not this year, but within five years.

Jesus, I  don't know what the largest flash memory is...

Robert

12. Teresa McGurk profile image59
    Teresa McGurkposted 15 years ago

book readers like Amazon's Kindle or the Sony reader with great download performance, on library borrowing plans, so you can "borrow" any book you want from the library.  Schools and colleges could give students options to borrow or buy (and keep) the books they download.

13. sunforged profile image69
    sunforgedposted 15 years ago

What's Axxo?  I've seen a few references to downloading films but I haven't really done that in recent years, DVDs over here are super cheap, blurays I buy off people in the UK who watch them once and sell them off.

Axxo is/was a ripper or bot who consistently uploaded films to the torrent community.

AXXO rips are easily identified by the AXXo NFO and the 700mb size (fitting onto a cd)

...or so thats what ive read, LOL

2tb sd cards! Im drooling, i imagine that would mean a big price drop in smaller capacity cards!

Be careful with AXXO files at the moment, there's been a huge flod of fakes appearing all over the torrent tracker sites. Just check the comments section and you'll see straight away if it's real or fake.

The 2tb card will replace the smaller card. 1gb, 2gb, 4gb and 8gb wo';t get cheaper, they will just cease to exist.

I'm drooling over the thought of 2tb in my android G1. Who needs desktops and latops when you've got one of them!

14. Junkster profile image61

I'd say the same but for the N97 from nokia, can't wait for that to come out!

http://thecellularworld.blogspot.com/20 … 1-n97.html

Saw this the other day and It looks so cool, I'm tempted to get it as my next phone too! I used to have a nokia N95 and that already felt more like a laptop computer than a mobile phone, this one has allsorts of cool widgets forming the home screen which would be great for seeing all your info at once.

How are you finding the G1? I hav ebeen really tempted to jump ship to T-Mobile with their excellent 3g coverage here in the UK but the slide out keyboard looks like the screen isn't connected at all when it's opened :-S

I'd be afraid of it breaking off! Is it sturdy?

It's awesome, really strong, had it since launch day and had no problems. Even the cool slide out on the Qwerty is solid as a rock, and I've dropped this bad boy a few times!

There are 2 issues I have with it, but it's not a huge problem.

1. The way I hold the phone with the keyboard out, the "chin" kinda gets in the way of your thumb getting to the keys. But with some practice it becomes second nature.

2. T-Mobile suck ass for reception where I work. It's great at home, full reception, and on the way to work its still on full reception, but the moment I get within about 60 ft of work, it drops to 1, sometimes no bars. Which sucks.

Go into any T-Mobile store and have a play with one. There cool.

Oh, and by the way, I've had a go on the N97, it's a monster of a phone! If it had Android on it, I'd be getting one the day they came out. But sadly it runs Symbian, and in all fairness, it sucks almost as much as the iPhone OS.

I'm going to do a Hub review of my G1 for this weeks hubmob, just haven't had the time yet.

15. Junkster profile image61

Cool, I'm due a new upgrade soon so I'll have a look around, my mate is on T-Mob and gets great reception even in another friend's house which I swear is a lead bunker for my network O2.

I like the look of the LG Renoir which is what they're going to offer for my next upgrade soon, the n97 is out soon though so may hang on for that, at least for now I have the Sony C905 which is a great phone and that's a lot coming from me who ditched sonyericsson a few years ago for Nokias

16. MobileGeek profile image56
    MobileGeekposted 15 years ago

Just a thought...

Surely with the advent of 1/2TB SD cards, we'll be looking at another step up in compression (ie when we went from SD to SDHC) - I'm just wondering whether existing devices will be able to support these new ultra high capacity cards?

I must admit though, the idea of being able to carry my entire music collection a few times over on a card not much bigger than my thumbnail is certainly appealing...

What I would like to see is a general increase in data transfer speeds. Obviously we're limited by what protocols like USB2 can manage, but backing up near 100GB of music takes some serious time, especially when I'm sending it to the external HD on a networked computer. "Why not plug the USB HD into the Pc you're using?" I hear you cry?

Because I've set it up in a stupid way and can't reach the hard drive, that's why. smile

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)