Will Adobe's Flash ever work on Apple tech?

Jump to Last Post 1-12 of 12 discussions (16 posts)
  1. climberjames profile image56
    climberjamesposted 13 years ago

The situation (as I understand it) is that Apple is not happy with the way that Adobe controls Flash?

Can anyone advise whether the two are likely to resolve the situation, is there no way that Apple can create a work-around? Or is this the problem?

I imagine (as I don't YET own one) that this issue hinders iPad usability quite a bit?

2. relache profile image73
    relacheposted 13 years ago

I can't say I've found myself hindered in the slightest by the iPad not supporting Flash and the tablet's been my constant toy/tool for the last few months.

Remember, it's not meant to replace a laptop, it's a different type of tool altogether.

climberjamesposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Good to hear, Thanks relache!

When I do manage to snatch an iPad it wont be replacing my laptop for sure.

3. lxxy profile image61
    lxxyposted 13 years ago

Flash works well on OS X. Apple just claims to have issues getting it to work on the iPhone. But that's most likely because they're coming out with their own "version" of Flash-like technology. smile

Nice one, thanks Ixxy - gets a tad annoying on the iPhone at times.

4. profile image56
    Jetsrubyposted 13 years ago

Flash and Apple products like ipod touch, iphone, and ipod is a very controversial matter currently. Apple only supports the .mov, .mp4 and .m4v video files as well as alot of other audio files like .mp3 or AAC. The problem about flash involves the particularness of Apple, not problems trying to create it. Apple definately has the ability to put flash on their smaller products, but they choose nt to. The reason people think highly of flash is because it is used frequently for MANY videos online and MANY games and etc. Think of flash however of the "Windows" and .mov as the "Mac". Just like many programs, most support windows despite the greatness in quality fo a mac which is why more people involved with buisiness buy windows, because it can accept more programs and adapt universally, YET is CRAPPY quality compared to MAc. Same goes for the video format. Despite the frequent use of flash, .mov or .mp4 is better quality and works better which is why it was chosen on the products. Maybe later in the future Mac will find themselves in a corner having to accept Windows formats and Flash,  but FOR NOW...there IS NO WAY they will consider using flash....Sorry bud

5. profile image0
    peacefulparadoxposted 13 years ago

Some many website uses Flash.  I certainly want Apple to run Flash.  It would be a great disadvantage to Apple if they can not get iPhones and iPads to run Flash.

6. DominatorMatrix profile image60
    DominatorMatrixposted 13 years ago

No. Apple hates flash. Adobe Flash for mac is slow, and crashy. Apple just doesn't want that on there mobile devices.

7. mendoan anget profile image62
    mendoan angetposted 13 years ago

Many mobile gadgets and web-related industries now starting to move to HTML 5, which can handle many jobs previously done by Adobe Flash, but without any problems like draining batteries like mad or make our device slower and easily crash as is done by flash. Flash technology will soon be obsolete.

Sounds good! I will wait patiently . . .

8. Joe8943 profile image63
    Joe8943posted 13 years ago

If you have a jailbroken ipad you can download a program called Frash that will allow flash on the ipad and very soon will be released for jailbroken iphones as well, other than that flash will never otherwise be available.

1. OneMoreLevel profile image59
      OneMoreLevelposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Or, You can download an app for free called CloudBrowse, and then you can play most flash games on there. Even runescape!

9. naluaspencer profile image62
    naluaspencerposted 13 years ago

Nope, probably not and most likely never. According to Steve Jobs, flash just isn't up to par with running on the their mobile devices. I contradict him on this as I believe it would be a positive addition to their mobile device line, especially the iPad.
    Since  full, hardware accelerated flash is able to run on Android Devices running 2.2(Froyo) and so on and is running smoothly, what is the reason it should not be able to run on Apple's devices?

10. Golf Swing King profile image54
    Golf Swing Kingposted 13 years ago

Steve Jobs has made it pretty clear that Apple will probably never support Flash.  Apple wants to control applications developed for the iPhone, and Flash is a development platform of its own.  If they allow Flash on the iPhone, it would allow developers to create their own applications for the iPhone, which is what Apple does not want, as they would lose business.  They want people to buy apps through their own iTunes store

11. profile image53
    theipadtesterposted 13 years ago

Ive found flash players very simple and user friendly and it not supported by apple products is indeed a misery !!

12. CanTechReviews profile image61
    CanTechReviewsposted 13 years ago

Apple has spoken out about flash, and one of the main reasons i believe they do not include it w/ their mobile devices is because flash is originally designed for desktop computers, and the type of rollover animations that can be done with a mouse.  Their devices only have touch inputs, and mostly smaller screens (minus the iPad) which wouldn't even be suitable for flash, but if they were, sites would most likely load very slowly.

Read the offical thoughts from Steve Jobs, here:
    http://www.apple.com/hotnews/thoughts-on-flash/

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)