Do you think Michel Gondry shot himself in the foot at Comic Con?

Jump to Last Post 1-1 of 1 discussions (5 posts)
  1. profile image0
    Stevennix2001posted 13 years ago

As some of you may know, one of my main sources for movie news is from superherohype.com.  don't laugh folks. their information is always accurate about upcoming films, and they often get information about movies and trailers way before imdb does.  How else do you think I managed to find out "paranormal activity 3's" release date before the folks at imdb did. 

Anyways, I've been scanning that site every chance i get because there's been recent news that Christopher Nolan has just handed in the final draft for the new batman movie, so you know there's going to be news about who the villain is or whatever plot developments there are coming any day now.  therefore, i want to try to get the inside scoop, as soon as possible, so I can update some hubs i have on the subject.  however, that's neither here nor there.  What I really wanted to talk about was Michele Gondry's comments at Comic Con, while trying to promote his "Green Hornet" movie for next year.  Apparently, he might have shot himself in the foot on this one.  Here's what he said, then I'll give more on my thoughts of this.

"I usually identify with the nerds," the director is reported as saying, "but these ones just reinforce the social rules. Their values are fascistic. All those people marching around in capes and masks and boots. The superhero imagery is totally fascist! When you step into this genre, they feel it belongs to them. They want you to conform, or they won't like you. They want the conventional."

He went onto say that he also thinks that it's a good thing that NORMAL people will like the film, at least.  Ouch.  What a way to insult your target audience...sheesh. 

Of course, this statement may have and probably has..been taken out of context of what he actually meant.  However, he still shouldn't have said it.  I don't disagree with Gondry, as I always loved his previous work on films like "Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind", and value his insights creatively as a director. 

First of all, I can see where he's coming from on this. I really do, as I too have had my fair share of debates with comic book fans in the past, and many of them throw damn near whiny temper tantrums if you disagree with them in any fathomable way.  Seriously, one guy got his panties up in a bunch just because I told him that I don't think Christopher Nolan would ever use Mr. Freeze in a Batman movie, considering Nolan even said he wants to keep the films grounded in reality.  Of course, he threw a hissy fit and argued with me until i eventually gave up and decided to just agree with him, to shut him up.  however, a few months later, it was confirmed by Nolan, by the way, that he had no intention of using Mr. Freeze.  Gee, surprise, surprise.  I don't want to be one of those guys that says, "I told you so", but I DID!  lol  Sorry, I apologize if it seems like i'm gloating, but im not.  Just proving a point. 

Therefore, I can see where Gondry coming from on this statement, but he never should have said it.  Seriously, there's just certain things you never say publicly...no matter how much you want to.  Take your boss for instance.  Your boss might be an arrogant pompous ass, but you never tell him/her that they are.  Why?  Well, you want to be fired?  If you say no, then I rest my case. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying you should kiss his/her butt either, as i don't kiss up to anybody.  Just ask any of my previous employers this, and they'll tell you that i'm no brown noser.  lol  However, I would never plainly disrespect them by calling them fascist.  That would be unprofessional, on my part.   

Trust me, I'm pretty damn sure guys like Jon Favreau, Christopher Nolan and Zack Snyder feel the same way as Gondry does, but the thing is....THEY NEVER SAY IT PUBLICLY.  Why?  Because they're smart.  Besides, why alienate the potential fan base and cash revenue?  After all, the point of making movies like the "Green Hornet" is to make money anyway.  I mean it would be different if we were talking about some indie movie or some prestigious Oscar worthy film, but we're not.  We're talking about a 3-D big budget superhero film that's designed to make money.  Therefore, I think Gondry made a HUGE mistake slandering "Green Hornet" fans like that.  Personally, I would've just kept my mouth shut, and made sure Cameron Diaz was with me, while she was wearing a dress that left little to the imagination. I figure if I can't win those nerds, or should I say fans, over with my trailer for "The Green Hornet", then I'll sure as hell win them over with this hot girl standing next to me.  lol j/k  Sorry folks if I'm coming off as offensive, but I'm a weird mood right now. Anyways, what are your thoughts?  Did Gondry shoot himself in the foot figuratively with that remark?  Or is he a man just speaking the damn truth?

1. profile image0
      Sophia Angeliqueposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Interesting post.

I was there.

Perhaps the reason we never took offence is because most of us are geeks - not nerds?

1. profile image0
        Stevennix2001posted 13 years agoin reply to this

Sophia, I wouldn't even use the word, geek, to describe someone either.  I think both are negative terminologies; although I never really understood the difference to be quite honest.  Then again, I never paid attention to stereotypes and name calling growing up too much, as I was always an outcast as a child anyway.  However, even though I'll still see the movie because I'm a huge Seth Rogen fan, I have to say this was probably a bad PR move on Gondry's part.  Seriously, if I was his agent, then I'd probably ask him what the hell was he thinking with that statement.  I mean he's a director in hollywood, so he should be used to criticism.  Oh well.  What can you do, I guess.

1. profile image0
          Sophia Angeliqueposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Stevie, a geek is a nerd with good social skills!

Geeks are wonderful people. They are highly education, intelligent, creative, and great fun.

smile

How can geek be a negative word when people go to the Geek Squad all the time?

http://www.geeksquad.com/

I think you're a little behind the times... smile

http://www.thinkgeek.com/

The Urban Dictionary defines Geek as the person one picks on at high school and lands up working for later.

Bill Gates is a geek. Steve Jobs is a geek.

smile

I truly didn't take offence at the remark. I don't think anyone else did either.

1. profile image0
            Stevennix2001posted 13 years agoin reply to this

That's a fairly interesting take on the terminology then, as I didn't know that.  That kind of reminds of a documentary I just viewed recently on how homosexuals were forced to wear pink triangles, in Germany during the Nazi Regime.  However, years later gay activists have used that very same symbol as a symbol of people being proud of their sexuality and owning that symbol; thus turning it from a symbol of oppression to one of positive unity.  I guess that's kind of the same thing with the word, geek.  Granted, probably on a smaller scale, but still.  You get what I mean. I guess you learn something new everyday.  thanks for heads up about what the difference is, but I usually try not to judge people like that.  Unless they're a jerk, then I just call them jerks...or some other word that might get me banned on hubpages.  lol

edit:  not that im comparing a geek to a homosexual, as those are totally different things.  However, i was just saying it's great on how things can start off negative, then turned into a positive.  That's pretty much what i was getting at.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)