Successful Lessons

Jump to Last Post 1-2 of 2 discussions (8 posts)
  1. artlader profile image61
    artladerposted 13 years ago

There are all sorts of opinions about what constitutes a good lesson plan, aren't there?

I teach high school German, and in my case, a simple plan with a clear beginning, middle and end with lots of opportunity for student interaction/engagement above the knowledge level seems to work best.

It does not seem to matter if my plans are aligned with state or national standards, if I take into account multiple intelligences, learning styles, etc.

After more than thirty years as a high school teacher, I have found that simple just works best in my classroom.

German 3 Example

* Beginning: Before we listen to a German song about a relationship that has gone bad, students will interview each other. They will find out if their classmates think that love is important and will report to the class on their findings.

* Middle: As we listen to the song, students will complete a handout that accompanies the song. We will then discuss the handout.

* End: Students compose and perform little skits based on the song. They will portray the break-up of a young couple.  Students will fill out evaluations of their classmates' performances and will turn them in to me.

For me, that's a pretty good plan. It might take two classes to get through it, in fact, but that's okay.

What about you? Are your lesson plans a lot more sophisticated than mine?

Just curious.

Thanks,
    Art

artladerposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Oh, for any German teachers out there... This song might work well - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p-kd8Z0iTpg

Die Sterne - Wahr ist, was wahr ist

Ich bin auf Beinen, ich hab keine Schmerzen
      Ich bin bei Verstand, ich hab nichts mit dem Herzen
      Ich kann mich bewegen, ich muss mich nicht quälen
      und ich kann ein und eins zusammenzählen

Ich richte den Blick auf die wichtigen Dinge.
      Ich messe den Druck und spüre die Zwänge.
      Ich nehme sie wahr, die räumliche Enge
      und sage nein ich will hier nicht sein.

Ich bin fest entschlossen, diesen Ort zu verlassen,
      die Fesseln zu sprengen und alles zu hassen,
      Was ich hier geliebt hab und was mich.
      Es tut mir leid - inklusive dich.

Wahr ist, was wahr ist,
      Das dass was war nicht mehr da ist.

Ich, ich, ich, ich, ich, ich, ich, ich, ich, ich, ich, ich, ich, ich, ich,
      ich, ich, ich, ich, ich, ich, ich, ich, ich, ich, ich, ich, ich, ich, ich,
      ich, ich, ich, ich, ich.....

2. shellyakins profile image68
      shellyakinsposted 13 years agoin reply to this

When I taught language arts, my lesson plans revolved around specific state standards and/or skills students needed to know to be able to do what the standard asked of them.  I planned daily assessments to checked the progress of my students.  I also planned in large units of study with a major assessment at the end.  The daily lessons were broken down into the steps students needed to get to the end assessment.

Thanks for replying, shellyakins,

It sounds like you were very methodical and thorough in your approach.

Was that something that evolved over time as a necessity, or was it more an extension of your personality?

- Art

1. shellyakins profile image68
          shellyakinsposted 13 years agoin reply to this

It started out that it was required by the principal I worked for.  It wasn't all as detailed as it sounds.  We were required to link everything that we did to a state standard needed to be able to show mastery (or not) of a skill.  I found that I worked better when I had a long range plan (like a whole unit over several weeks.)  I also sent home calendars with my students to share with their parents about the units we worked on so everyone knew what was coming up.

I always stated with the assessment in mind and worked backwards.  I guess that's just how it evolved to work for me.

"I always stated with the assessment in mind and worked backwards"

Yep, that's a great way to go.

Of course, I probably say that because that's what I do, too!

- Art

2. Evan G Rogers profile image60
    Evan G Rogersposted 13 years ago

I'm a soon-to-be World Language teacher going through grad-school.

We've had lesson plans crammed down our throats, and it's only going to get worse.

The main points to focus on are:

*What do you want your students to be able to do?

*How will you achieve this goal?

*In what way will you assess if they are able to do what you want?

*Do your goals match up with national and state educational standards? (in Ohio we have "the five C's": Communication, Culture, Connections (to other subjects), Comparisons (to L1), and Communities.)

*Focus on transitions -- you don't want dead time in your lessons.

---

Anyway, those are the major aspects of our lesson plans.

Hi, Evan,

I hope that you enjoy teaching. My wife and I both teach high school German and it can be very rewarding.

I am, of course, familiar with the five C's you mention.

Looking back, do you think your best language teachers seem to generally embrace them? Or did they have a different way of doing things?

Thanks,
      Art

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)