2011 MLB Predictions - AL

Jump to Last Post 1-8 of 8 discussions (24 posts)
  1. bogerk profile image70
    bogerkposted 13 years ago

I just finished publishing my predictions for the American League in 2011:

http://hubpages.com/hub/2011-MLB-Predic … can-League

AL East:
    Boston Red Sox

AL Central:
    Minnesota Twins

AL West:
    Texas Rangers

AL MVP:
    Adrian Gonzalez

AL CY YOUNG:
    Jon Lester

AL ROY:
    Jeremy Hellickson

What are your predictions for the American League in the 2011 MLB Season?

1. Tom T profile image61
      Tom Tposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I'm going with Boston, Chicago, Anaheim (great 3 team race here), NY wild card.
      MVP - Longoria
      CY Young - Lester
      ROY - Jeremy Hellickson

1. shogan profile image78
        shoganposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Do you think Longoria will win MVP on the 2011 Rays?  I think that's probably unlikely.

1. Tom T profile image61

With Manny protecting and Damon in front of him.  I think so.  Manny is only making $2M.  He's going after a bigger contract.  I'm thinking .290 25HR & 90 RBI's Don't forget Zobrist.  I think Longoria is due for a breakout.  Will be fun to watch.

1. shogan profile image78

Unless the Rays win a whole lot more this season in the AL East than I think they're going to, I can't see Longoria taking MVP.

2. jobister profile image59
    jobisterposted 13 years ago

Red Sox vs Rangers in ALCS.

1. bogerk profile image70
      bogerkposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I can't argue with that. My guess is the Boston Red Sox vs. Minnesota Twins and New York Yankees vs. Texas Rangers in the NLDS. Then the Red Sox vs. Rangers in the NLCS.

On paper right now, that would be a great series with an edge in pitching to Boston.

3. optimus grimlock profile image61
    optimus grimlockposted 13 years ago

i like hillickson for roy, he pitched pretty good in his few starts last year. Adrian gonzolez as mvp is kind of a reach tho, it depends on how well he adjusts to al pitchers. cy young cj wilson (longshot but hes a good starter) I think mark reynolds will finish top 3 in homers, top 5 in walks and or course top 2 in k's.

4. I am DB Cooper profile image75
    I am DB Cooperposted 13 years ago

AL East: Yankees
    AL Central: Twins
    AL West: Rangers
    Wild Card: Red Sox

I would like to start off by stating that I am not a Yankee fan. Here's what I do know: the Yankees had the best run differential in baseball last season at +166. The Red Sox were at +74. The Red Sox have had a better offseason than the Yankees, but I question whether it was +92 runs better. Yankees starting pitching might be worse this year, but I think their offense will be better. I don't expect Jeter to play at peak levels, but he should improve on last seasons numbers. Several players, including Curtis Granderson, seemed to really figure things out at the plate at the end of last season. Granderson hit 10 home runs from September 1 until the Yankees were eliminated. Robinson Cano is developing into a perennial MVP candidate. The Yankees bullpen is set up to shut teams down in the 8th and 9th inning. Overall, I think that means 95-100 wins.

I'm assuming the Rays will not be the same team this year. They moved around a lot of players this offseason, and I think that could create problems for them. If Manny is motivated that deal could be a steal for them. Even when he's "lost it at the plate" he still has an on-base percentage over .400. Overall though, I think the Rays struggle to win 85 games.

1. Bruce A. Beaudet profile image74
      Bruce A. Beaudetposted 13 years agoin reply to this

The Red Sox run differential is misleading as they were plagued by injuries last year.  With Crawford, Gonzalez and more depth in the bullpen I think their chances of having a better run differential in 2011 than the Yankees are very good.

1. I am DB Cooper profile image75
        I am DB Cooperposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I would say it was close to a historic plague of injuries, but I still see some major problems with this team. Youkilis' injury was a freak incident (unless it has something to do with the way he holds the bat), but at age 31 injuries are probably going to become more common for him. Adrian Beltre is gone this year, which I think offsets at least 80% of the offensive production that Gonzalez will add (Beltre had 79 extra-base hits last year). I know people think he fits perfectly with Fenway Park, but I've heard that oh-so-many times before. Jose Canseco was supposed to mash 65 home runs over the Green Monster in 1995 -- it never happened. Crawfod is a very good pickup, but I count 9 guys who were more valuable last season in terms of Wins Above Replacement in the American League, including one the Red Sox lost in the offseason (Beltre).

The Yankees are a mix of promising guys in their prime and aging has-beens. If the has-beens like Posada, Jeter, and A-Rod can get back into a groove, the Yankees will be the dominant team in the division. Brett Gardner is basically Carl Crawford Lite and he's getting better every year. Robinson Cano will likely be in the MVP hunt again. Nick Swisher remains very underrated because he looks about as athletic as the guys in the right field bleachers. The big question is going to be the back end of the starting rotation. They've got a few guys in the mix right now for the final couple spots, and none of them really impress me. If they do figure that out, their lights out bullpen scares the hell out of me.

I think Ellsbury, even though he's younger, is more of a concern for injuries than Youk.  He' s just not that durable.  The advantage Gonzalez has over Beltre is a left handed bat which is favorable in Fenway (going to face mostly right handed pitchers) and Yankee Stadium (short porch in right field).  It may take some time for him to adjust to the AL however, he's is going to have good hitters in front and back so teams are going to have to choose their poison.   The X factor will be the Sox speed.

Cano is impressive;Jeter is hanging on for 3000 hits and Arod can still hit the long ball...they will miss Pettitte.

1. profile image49
            ShortStoryposted 13 years agoin reply to this

People gave Ellsbury a lot of shit about that injury and 'durability' and such, but it's not like he has had a history of injuries before. People just assume that he's frail because he's slight of build. You wanna worry about 'injuries' worry about Drew. He thinks up a new 'injury' every few weeks.

2. shogan profile image78

Based on one season, Bruce?  I have to agree with SS.  Ellsbury has had to carry around a lot of labels for one injured season.

I think the way he plays the game plus his body type will put him at risk for long term injury problems.  He came back from the rib injury,stole 4 bases and went back on the DL as the result of a minor collision at first.  He's built for speed, not durability.

1. I am DB Cooper profile image75
                I am DB Cooperposted 13 years agoin reply to this

For what it's worth, he was really crushing the ball today.

Another Brady Anderson? wink  I hope he stays healthy.

2. Tom T profile image61

NY may be able to shut teams down in the 8/9th but who's going to get them there?  Some say back of the rotation is a concern but even Phil Hughes to me is a concern. After CC, I don't see anyone who's done it for a couple years.  I just see too many holes in that rotation.  The Yankees are going to win some games with their offense but I just don't see enough pitching.   Who knows which AJ is going to show up? 

With the Red Sox Rotation, Beckett was injured for much of the year.  Lackey ate innings but was not impressive.  Dice K was his usual up and down self so if even one of those guys improve they are better off. 

BTW I think the AL central and AL west races could each be won by 1 of 3 teams.   Gonna be a fun season.

3. shogan profile image78

As often seems to be the case, I agree with almost everything you say, I Am DB Cooper.  We only differ on Gardner.  I just don't think you can refer to him as a Lite Crawford.  Furthermore, I don't think he's going to get a whole lot better, either.

5. glonnqvist profile image53
    glonnqvistposted 13 years ago

AL East: Red Sox
    AL Central: Twins
    AL West: Rangers
    Wild Card: Yankees

I agree with previous post that Gonzalez is a reach for MVP.  I think he'll have a great year, but Josh Hamilton and Joe Mauer will be front runners for MVP.

6. Greek One profile image64
    Greek Oneposted 13 years ago

The AL East, Al Champs and World Series kings will be the...

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_8BVcGoREYwc/SFCgwqWbg5I/AAAAAAAABVY/BSZoA0D3WIs/s400/Toronto+Blue+Jays+%231.png

You read it here first

1. hockeylady profile image60
      hockeyladyposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I think the Yankees will top the A'L. East and think the Texas Rangers will also be in play off contention too.

7. shogan profile image78
    shoganposted 13 years ago

I want to add, as a Red Sox fan, that I think people are overhyping the Boston rotation.  Beckett, Lackey, and Dice-K are all real question marks (one more real than the others!).  It makes me uncomfortable that so many fans seem to consider our starting pitching a lock.

8. Mikeydoes profile image43
    Mikeydoesposted 13 years ago

Why is everyone picking the Twins, my boys(White Sox) are about to kill them. Have you seen our pitching staff? Have you seen our line up?

We took Crain from them..... That is huge.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)