Advice on Synthroid for Hypothyroidism?

Jump to Last Post 1-10 of 10 discussions (13 posts)
  1. profile image0
    L a d y f a c eposted 13 years ago

I'm having some issues starting this medication. It was prescribed to me this week.. I've been reading as much as I could on it, but I need some advice from people I know are real, and sane, and experienced.

The pharmacist didn't mention anything about taking it on an empty stomach and not eating afterward. She actually said, take it the same time every day, and if I take it with food, always take it with food. If not, always not. It seems everywhere I read, I'm being advised to take it on an empty stomach, don't eat 2 hours before or 1 hour after.

Since I take other meds for bipolar it worries me that she didn't tell me not to take my other meds at the same time either - just no vitamins or dairy. (I take lithium and wellbutrin)

I also read that Synthrax has only got the T4 hormone and not T3, and that I might gain weight because it's the T3 hormone that is solely responsible for your weight gain/loss?? There are all of these forums (not on here) where people are going on about how much weight they've gained because of it, and can't get rid of..

I'm kind of freaked out and my doctor just left for vacation so I'm screwed on that end (I would be calling him if he were here).. I just don't know what to make of all of this conflicting information..

2. profile image0
    lynnechandlerposted 13 years ago

First of all do you know how out of whack your levels are? My doctor kept telling me that mine were off the charts and it turned out they were only .2 below the low end of the spectrum. I took it faithfully for a while, then when things started getting really, really bad for me I went to see another doctor who noticed that my heart murmur didn't sound exactly right. This set off a whole chain of events that led to finding an aneurysm on my heart and immediate surgery.

Telling you all that is not meant to freak you out, it is meant as an advice to seek another professional opinion on the thyroid numbers. Other conditions can make the thyroid seem like they are out of whack when in fact it is masking what is really wrong. I strongly urge you to get a second opinion. So, many doctors will see the levels that are really off and go with that without diving deeper into what might really be going on.

Since the heart surgery I have come off all synthetic meds. I now take a natural thyroid supplement, b12, and coq10.

To answer your main issue, yes you can gain weight on thyroid meds, they can make you feel sluggish, and a whole host of other things. This is just from my personal experience so take it for what it is worth. I hope you feel better soon.

3. TLMinut profile image61
    TLMinutposted 13 years ago

Aren't thyroid meds (for hypothyroidism) supposed to make you lose weight? And give you more energy? I took synthroid for a couple of years, it helped immensely. When I moved, I quit because I would have had to start with a new doctor, pay all over, all that. I finally did go and get started again, didn't work, the doctor upped the dose after the next test, still didn't help so I've quit. I'd rather do it naturally but what that means exactly I don't know. Lynne, what is your natural supplement and does it work?

My heart was acting crazy too but all those sudden hard erratic thumpings mostly stopped when I switched from regular cigarettes to e-cigarettes. (Yes, quitting entirely would be better.)

I lost weight on synthroid the first time - I wasn't overweight so it wasn't much, but I felt a whole lot better. Now I'm back to dropping off to sleep without much warning again. Ladyface, doesn't the bottle specifically say to take on an empty stomach? Mine always did, the generic and Synthroid.

1. profile image0
      L a d y f a c eposted 13 years agoin reply to this

No, only says to take at the same time every day sad

4. profile image0

I get the drop offs even on the meds whether they be generic or not. The one I am using is Gaia Thyroid Support. I take two a day and I guess it is helping because my blood work came back in the normal range this last time which was about a week ago. I have been on this since the heart surgery which was Aug. '10.

I like this particular one because it has Iodine from seaweed in it along with L-Tyrosine, Coleus Root, Ashwagandha Root, Schiasandra Berry, Kelp Fronds, Bladderwrack Fronds, the Iodine from Seaweed, and withanolide from the ashwagandha root. I tried a couple of the ones that didn't have the kelp and they didn't seem to give me what I needed.

I lost a lot of weight pre-surgery and have put some back on but only enough so I don't look sick now, just healthy.

5. TLMinut profile image61
    TLMinutposted 13 years ago

So no more going crazy licking the salt off of potato chips, hmm? LOL! We have a natural health food place nearby, I'm going to check into that myself. My dad takes B12 shots too, I'd rather avoid that if possible.

6. profile image0

The B12 started as shots, then went to a liquid form, and now I take 1000mg tablet a day. So, it doesn't have to be shots. Another thing to consider is your Vitamin D. How much of it do you have? They can check the levels for that too cause it will cause the sleepiness as well.

7. Mrs. Menagerie profile image91
    Mrs. Menagerieposted 13 years ago

Hello Ladyface,
    I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism when I was 8 years old...I am now 42.  I have been taking synthroid for 34 years without any issues. As far as the empty stomach thing goes, I did not start seeing those instructions on my medication bottle until the last few years...I ignore it.  I've been taking this stuff all these years and now they say take it on an empty stomach?  Bah!
    And about taking it the same time of day, I always take it before I go to bed but that could be a range of time...again, all these years I've never worried about it and I'm not going to start now.
    Weight gain is often a result of hypothyroidism and so your meds would help you lose weight not gain.  I am 5'6" and weigh 115 lbs., I have never struggled with my weight.
    In short, please try to relax a bit and don't read all that hype about a tried and true med that has been around for years.
    And do take your synthroid...my sister is also hypothyroid and tried doing this holistic remedy instead of her synthroid...it was disastrous, she got really ill.

1. profile image0

Lol
      Sounds like you've got a got regiment going on that works for you. Thanks for the calm. I was thinking of taking it the same way i take my birth control. I take that and my other meds in the morning, whenever I get up. It's never the same time, but always around the same time.

This I'm going to take in the evening. It's the only time I can guarantee a window with 2 hours before and 1 after where I will not eat. I stay home with a 1 year old - my days are unpredictable! lol

Thanks again smile

8. Uninvited Writer profile image80
    Uninvited Writerposted 13 years ago

I always take my pills on an empty stomache and with a full glass of water. That was recommended by my pharmacist and doctor. I usually take it in the morning but now they are saying that taking it before bed might be best.  I do know you are not supposed to take them with calcium supplements. Dr. Oz says the thyroid medicine will stop working if you do.

1. profile image0

I did read that on the insert that came with the pills, not to take them with dairy or vitamin supplements. This is why I've decided against breakfast time. No more grilled cheese???? What kind of life is that?? hehe

9. frogdropping profile image77
    frogdroppingposted 13 years ago

I take mine every morning. I don't think about why/when/how, I just get one out and swallow it.

I listen to my body, not the advice of those who probably don't have thyroid disease.

10. GmaGoldie profile image80
    GmaGoldieposted 13 years ago

Mayo Clinic prescribed this for me for years - my family history has thyroid cancer.  Then with new research they rescinded that so I have had both.

I found it was hard to stop and start.  It does change your metabolism and I felt it changed my moods.  It would take me 10 days to change successfully.

Hang it there - give it a try for 10 days or so and then report back to your doctor.

When I was taking synthroid, I would always take it in the morning.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)