Whose writing style do you admire?

Jump to Last Post 1-10 of 10 discussions (27 posts)
  1. Tatara profile image60
    Tataraposted 13 years ago

Mine is Ann Beattie's.

1. Greek One profile image64
      Greek Oneposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Xaviera Hollander pulls a chord for me

1. pisean282311 profile image62
        pisean282311posted 13 years agoin reply to this

mine is greek one ...especially ability to debate with paar...

who's paar?

2. SomewayOuttaHere profile image60
        SomewayOuttaHereposted 13 years agoin reply to this

...sooooo...you're still into the old ladies I see.....she's an old bird now....i met her in Mexico....a sleepy little isolated fishing village she regularly 'haunts'......

ironic that she would linger in a place that smells of fish

2. rcrm89 profile image64
      rcrm89posted 13 years agoin reply to this

I don't read any fiction these days, but I particularly enjoy the way Malcolm Gladwell, Michael Lewis and Neil Strauss write.

2. Joy56 profile image67
    Joy56posted 13 years ago

Yes Greek One, i like him

3. Windsweptplains profile image61
    Windsweptplainsposted 13 years ago

Classic writers like Jane Austen, Charlotte Bronte, Lucy Maud Montgomery, and Charles Dickens have influenced my writing in many ways. Their books are among my favorite novels of all time.

As far as modern writers go, Terry Goodkind and Stephen R. Lawhead are writers with a great impact on me. I love the way in which they choose to present their characters, it really draws me in as a reader.

Tataraposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I also like Charlotte Bronte and Charles Dickens(I especially like the first pages of Great Expectations).Vivid descriptions.

1. Windsweptplains profile image61
        Windsweptplainsposted 13 years agoin reply to this

That is one of the things I love the most from their writing: vivid descriptions. It makes the story come to life when you can picture every detail in your mind.

4. Greek One profile image64
    Greek Oneposted 13 years ago

it all started and ended with War and Peace

1. TattooVirgin profile image59
      TattooVirginposted 13 years agoin reply to this

War and Peace is a great book!

Your should read;
      The little princess
      Little Women
      and Shakespeare... big_smile

I've dates little priceless and little women... many of whom have shaken my spear.

Isn't that enough smile

1. TattooVirgin profile image59
          TattooVirginposted 13 years agoin reply to this

big_smile

5. dingdondingdon profile image60
    dingdondingdonposted 13 years ago

I am a huge fan of Margaret Atwood's writing style. Every so often I come across a metaphor or a description in her writing that just makes me sit back in awe. For instance, from Cat's Eye after the death of her older brother the protagonist thinks:

"Now I will get older. And he will not."

It's just two simple sentences but I reread it and reread it because it evoked such intense feelings in me.

It's my best friend's favorite book. I remember she told me about it.Interesting:-)

6. TreeAndLeaf profile image60
    TreeAndLeafposted 13 years ago

To me, John Steinbeck is about the most skilled wordsmith to ever live.  I consider him to be one of the most talented writers I have ever read.
    I also enjoy Hemingway's dry, bare-bones prose.
    Some people might want to crucify me for this, but Jack London has a style all his own that is amazing in its own right.

I love Steinbeck's Chrysanthemums. I especially like the ending - subtle but strong.One of my favorite pieces from my Am.Lit. class.

1. PierAllegro profile image61
        PierAllegroposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I see most people love classics. That's good. Although that can also mean they stopped reading past their high school. I hope not. I love Cormac McCathy, J.M. Coetzee and Jose Saramago. I think they are re-inventing writing, or to say the least, they are shaping a new literary voice.

1. TreeAndLeaf profile image60
          TreeAndLeafposted 13 years agoin reply to this

That's definitely not the case. My high school reading lists sadly didn't include any Steinbeck or Hemingway. That would have been great. Besides maybe a short story by Jack London, just a lot of Shakespeare and young adult lit that wasn't very memorable.
          (I agree with you, by the way. Cormac McCarthy is awesome.)

PierAllegroposted 12 years agoin reply to this

He's America's finest writer. The only reason he hasn't got the Nobel Prize is because he's American and the Oslo crowd is admittedly allergic to anything that is America. I think that The Nobel is in no way a measure of the quality of writing - it may be that is, in some case/ I don't think McCormac is worried. By the way Shakespeare is great. I did Shakespeare in school in Poland and now they also do Hemingway (The Old Man and the Sea).

7. Joy56 profile image67
    Joy56posted 13 years ago

I love Thomas Hardy, when you have the time to just savour ever word he writes.  Watching the films made from his work is a whole lot quicker, and just as good at times, especially

Far From The Maddening Crowd.

I love that book and film.

8. BKAONE profile image69
    BKAONEposted 13 years ago

I'm a huge David Foster Wallace fan, but can also shift gears and dive into Bukowski and DeLillo.

9. Bellamie profile image59
    Bellamieposted 13 years ago

catherine coulters fbi series.

10. profile image0
    Home Girlposted 13 years ago

"Those who don’t build must burn. It’s as old as history and juvenile delinquence." Who said that? Guess!
    I love his simplicity and precision. Real fantasy and fantastic imagination.

PierAllegroposted 12 years agoin reply to this

A tough one. Hm?

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)