Technology New to Me...

Jump to Last Post 1-8 of 8 discussions (15 posts)
  1. DzyMsLizzy profile image84
    DzyMsLizzyposted 12 years ago

I admit I don't even know if this is the ocrrect forum area for an answer to my question.  However, I don't see any other areas any more relevant, so at the risk of showing off my computer and internet ignorance of 'new stuff,' here goes:

What in blazes is a 'podcast?'

I did not know what to expect when I clicked on one here a couple of weeks ago, and was presented with what appeared to be a video pop-up box, but it just appeared to be continually "buffering" in the video area, and all I was getting was the audio portion.

I was confused.  Someone please enlighten me.  Is that as it should have been, or is a 'podcast' supposed by be some kind of special format or timed-length video presentation? 

Thank you!

1. WriteAngled profile image73
      WriteAngledposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I think it is a sort of radio programme with no video.

I wish people would just stick to the written word, that can be read at leisure, flicked back through at need.

I cannot count how many emails I have deleted because they simply direct me to some audio or video stuff, which I refuse to run!

1. shogan profile image75
        shoganposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I hear you, but you can't listen to the written word on an IPod.  Podcasts are nice to listen to while exercising or driving.

1. WriteAngled profile image73
          WriteAngledposted 12 years agoin reply to this

When I decide to listen to something or watch something for entertainment, then I consciously make the decision to do so at a time I have set aside for entertainment.

When I want information, I want to be able to read what is being said in my own time, at my own pace and I want to be able to copy out the most relevant facts into a document of notes from a large number of various sources, which I will use for future reference. If I am stuck with a wretched audiovisual source, I have to scribble notes down and then type them out, and if I miss something, it's back to the beginning and start running the thing all over again.

I also do not want to be tied to someone speaking at 10% of my reading speed. I want to be able to skip over all the fluff and padding, stupid jokes and errs and umms.  Deprived of these possibilities, I get so bored, I cannot listen past the first 2 minutes or so. Yes, I enjoy attending a live lecture by a competent and witty speaker, however the offerings on the web are not made by such people.

I also do not want to fight to try and understand an unfamiliar accent. I want to be able to access the information without being frustrated by having to wait ten minutes or sometimes much, much longer for some huge file to download before I can get to what I need. 

I am getting heartily sick of my searches for information constantly turning up invitations to click some "webinar" or "podcast". The pearls of wisdom that may exist in those offerings will, I fear, never be tipped out for the perusal of this particular swine!

2. Howard S. profile image90
        Howard S.posted 12 years agoin reply to this

When you promulgate what I perceive to be unpopular opinions in the forums, I find myself always in complete agreement with you! That's intended to be a compliment.

2. Nell Rose profile image91
      Nell Roseposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Hi Dzym, how you doing? lol you sound like me! I take ages trying to figure something out then give up!

3. profile image53
      ForYourInfoposted 12 years agoin reply to this

You will get help from Google. There you will get plenty of things to know about "podcast".

1. SunSeven profile image61
        SunSevenposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Indeed.! Its a pity there is no one who could help you out Here! smile

2. pedrog profile image60
    pedrogposted 12 years ago
  3. kafsoa profile image63
    kafsoaposted 12 years ago

Thanks Dzym for asking this question, it was helpful for many people "including me smile"

4. DzyMsLizzy profile image84
    DzyMsLizzyposted 12 years ago

Thanks, everyone!  And thanks to pedrog for that link! 

Much appreciated!  wink

5. Danette Watt profile image82
    Danette Wattposted 12 years ago

A podcast is an audio clip - although it can be anywhere from a few minutes to a downloaded academic lecture. A podcast is another means of communicating your message to those you want to reach, especially if you have a business that lends itself to short, informative clips that people can listen to on your website.

6. WriteAngled profile image73
    WriteAngledposted 12 years ago

I think we represent the dinosaur vote... http://smileys.on-my-web.com/repository/Fantasy/fantasy-dragon-08.gif

7. Pearldiver profile image68
    Pearldiverposted 12 years ago

Well You are Right and Not So Angled WA smile

Perhaps we are merely being subjected to the Real Communicative Abilities of people who have no ability to communicate in the Real Presence of Others? hmm

Overall it Really does represent a De-Evolution....

So I guess, if we wait... they'll eventually come back to our level again... albeit with the same inabilities to communicate in Real terms! big_smile

Could we expect less when some top ranking published articles here are on subjects like: "Why people should be Introverted!" roll

That's a bit of a clue isn't it?  100 years from now they will know how to Grunt but not Read or Write! big_smile

Did you guys not hear the series of grunts last month that were intended to explain Podcasts? hmm
    What a shame... it was a grunting masterpiece! roll

Perhaps the whole message was buried in the monkey noises about why Elephants have trumpeted new changes to the G Panda's intention to direct traffic to more popular caves and cubbyholes, than HP and other places that farm Jiggley-Fuddoes and Whale pods! smile

NAHNU... NAHNU... Haven't we come along way to return to the roots? roll

Have They Forgotten That WE KNEW THEM When They Wore NAPPIES and Couldn't Wipe Their Bums! big_smile big_smile  Let's PODCAST THAT!!!! big_smile big_smile

8. SunSeven profile image61
    SunSevenposted 12 years ago

I am going to kill you one of these days, Rob.

You are not supposed to reveal insider secrets! smile

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)