Ricky Rubio is finally joining the Minnesota Timberwolves

Jump to Last Post 1-3 of 3 discussions (6 posts)
  1. profile image0
    Stevennix2001posted 12 years ago

Well after a series of bad luck, the timberwolves are finally getting the player they drafted a couple years ago.  Ricky Rubio was drafted 5th overall by the Timberwolves, but he was still under contract to play for his Spanish basketball team.  Sure, they could've bought him out, but the buyout fee was over 6 million and according to the collective bargaining rules in the nba, the wolves are only allowed to contribute 500 grand to buy out his foreign contract, as the rest would have to be paid out of rubio's pocket.  Therefore, he elected not to play for the wolves even though they drafted him a couple years ago. 

However, the fee has gone down considerably to around 1.5 million; which is manageable.  The timberwolves are looking actively for sponsors to make up the difference through endorsements for rubio at the moment.  However, for all you t-wolve fans out there, it looks like you guys have something else to be excited about.  Not only will you be getting the 2nd pick in the draft, but you'll be getting one of Spain's top point guards next season. Isn't that wonderful?  big_smile  anyways, here's a link for more details:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=6617479

What are you're thoughts on this?

2. LakeShow T profile image75
    LakeShow Tposted 12 years ago

Haha. I've been joking with people about this, so I think it's funny to have the thread started here. There has been so much hype about this guy over the last half-decade that it's hilarious. And I admit I totally bought in after seeing his flashy ball-handling, creative passes, and the Pete Maravich comparisons. Even after seeing him play in the 2008 Olympics and the flop he was there, I wanted the T-Wolves to trade up to draft him a few years ago because of his upside potential. It turned out that he fell to us because other teams were afraid he would stay in Europe for a few more years.

Well then, just like everyone else, he didn't want to play for the T-Wolves and had several excuses, such as wanting to be in a larger market, and my favorite, he did not want to have to live in Minnesota's cold climate. He basically turned out to be a primadonna kid.

I saw Rubio play in an exhibition game against the Lakers and he was quite underwhelming. He went on this season to average a less than stellar 6.5 pts, 3.5 asts, and 3.2 rebounds per game this season. And in addition to all of that, Milwaukee Bucks point guard Brandon Jennings, who played against Rubio in Europe, dissed Rubio and basically said he sucked.

All together, I hope the T-Wolves trade him, but if not I'll be interested to see what he can do here. He may add some excitement and some rare attention to the T-Wolves. I do think he could be a good piece for the young T-Wolves, who will now really be able to play at a rapid pace.

1. profile image0
      Stevennix2001posted 12 years agoin reply to this

Well I think he just finally broke down and signed because with the way collective bargaining agreements are looking between the players and the league, there's really no guarantee that Rubio would be able to sign for the guaranteed money he was probably looking for if the owners end up having their way.  Therefore, I think he just signed because he saw this was his only chance to get at least some guaranteed money rather than take his chances after the new cba rules.

3. optimus grimlock profile image59
    optimus grimlockposted 12 years ago

i think they should trade him to the kings or the cavs

1. profile image0
      Stevennix2001posted 12 years agoin reply to this

Yeah, that's a great idea.  Maybe they should try to package Rubio as part of a trade to get the Cavs number one pick.  I doubt the Cavs would trade their pick, but it's worth a shot.

1. LakeShow T profile image75
        LakeShow Tposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Good idea, but not going to happen. In fact, the Cavs, Suns, and Wizards are all rumored to be trying to acquire that #2 pick from the Wolves.

There have also been rumblings about a Pacers/T-Wolves deal that potentially involves Rubio/Beasley/ and the #2 pick for Danny Granger and other unnamed pieces.  As a T-Wolves fan, I'd pass on that due to Granger's arthritic knees and because Derrick Williams reminds me a bit of a younger Danny Granger (who doesn't shoot as many 3's of course)

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)