Who is the greatest male tennis player of all time?

Jump to Last Post 1-16 of 16 discussions (28 posts)
  1. Jinesh07 profile image61
    Jinesh07posted 12 years ago

With Federer leading the pack in terms of Grand Slams, many are stating that he is the greatest player of all time. However, are the efforts of Borg, McEnroe and others greater even though they did not win as many slams?

1. LakeShow T profile image73
      LakeShow Tposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I would go with Federer or Sampras. It's hard to say with Federer though, as he is the all-time leader in Grand Slams but he also did much of that during a weak era in men's Tennis. Once Rafael Nadal entered the scene he has certainly got the best of Federer, which could also make his case for being someone who could potentially be considered the greatest after a few more years.

2. Cagsil profile image71
      Cagsilposted 12 years agoin reply to this

This is biased toward one gender.

Mens- Federer.

Womens- Navratilova

1. Jinesh07 profile image61
        Jinesh07posted 12 years agoin reply to this

The male gender was purely because I don't know much about women's tennis. Sorry if I have offended you

1. Cagsil profile image71

You didn't offend me. lol

3. rebekahELLE profile image84
      rebekahELLEposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I love watching Federer play, but I don't think he's the best of all time. I think he's amazing and thrilling to watch play, but already Nadal is the youngest player in the open era to win a career Golden Slam, all 4 Grand Slams and an Olympic gold for his country. Federer has lost more than twice as many times to Nadal as he has wins over him.

I think they both have what some earlier players didn't have, and that's the ability to make people of all ages want to watch them play. Their grace, strength and control is inspiring.

2. profile image0
    klarawieckposted 12 years ago

Nadal, for sure.

3. Jinesh07 profile image61
    Jinesh07posted 12 years ago

Nadal would definitely have won more Slams in his early career if he had stayed fully fit. I think his style of play may mean he will not keep playing as long as Federer has.

4. Peter Owen profile image61
    Peter Owenposted 12 years ago

Rod Laver, Autstralia - showing my age

5. SimeyC profile image88
    SimeyCposted 12 years ago

It's got to be Borg for me; he was amazingly fit - even fitter than Nadal is, won 6 French Opens, Wimbledon 5 times in a row and had an incredible tempriment - what a lot of people do not realize is that he retired at 24 - just imagine how many tournaments he could have won if he stayed playing into his 30s (Federer is 30 this year).

During Grand Slam tournaments he won an incredible 90% of all matches - and 41% of all tournaments he entered!

There's no doubt that Federer and Nadal are up there in the top three or four ever but Borg simply had the most all round game that was unbeatable at times (especially on clay...Nadal has a similar 'factor' on clay, but still....

6. optimus grimlock profile image60
    optimus grimlockposted 12 years ago

sampress thats funny agasi was better. none of these guys today could beat borg or macenroe!!!

1. LakeShow T profile image73
      LakeShow Tposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Yeah. Agassi was better than Sampras even though Sampras has more career grand slams by quite a bit, more head-to-head wins, more head-to-head wins in grand slams, and more head-to-head wins in grand slam finals. Right. I liked Agassi and did not care too much for Sampras, but I can't put Agassi over Sampras.

7. Greek One profile image63
    Greek Oneposted 12 years ago

Navratilova by far

1. SimeyC profile image88
      SimeyCposted 12 years agoin reply to this

LOL forgot about 'him'!

2. Disturbia profile image60
      Disturbiaposted 12 years agoin reply to this

You are too funny!

8. Joy56 profile image67
    Joy56posted 12 years ago

Nadal is pretty damn good.  He is right handed and plays with his left.  Looks good, and is like a warrior.......

9. jponiato profile image89
    jponiatoposted 12 years ago

Billie Jean King.

10. profile image0
    Stevennix2001posted 12 years ago

Men's tennis:  I would have to say Pete Sampras, as he played against harder competition than Federer ever did, as he didn't have anyone to challenge him during his run.

Women's tennis:  The Williams sisters have dominated that sport together for years, so I'd say it's a tie between them.

Hey Steven,

Why did you use two different criteria?

I'll concede your point on the Men.

But, if you look at the Women? Have the sisters actually had the competition? Not really.

Just a thought.

1. profile image0
        Stevennix2001posted 12 years agoin reply to this

Well to be fair, I don't really follow women's tennis cagsil, as the only ones that I know of are the Williams sisters, anna kournikova and maria sharapova.  that's it.  I'm sure there's better tennis players for women that I could've mentioned, but as i said, i don't follow women's tennis. Not that I follow men's tennis anymore, but I know a lot more about men's tennis than i do about womens.

Okay. No problem. I don't follow neither, either. lol I just know a little bit of the history of the sport. I did watch a little bit when I was younger, which is why I was questioning it. That's all. wink

1. profile image0
            Stevennix2001posted 12 years agoin reply to this

That's cool. I knew you were just asking, so I just answered.  To be honest, tennis isn't really my favorite sport, as I'm more into basketball and football.  And even those, I don't really follow as constantly as i used to when I was a kid.  lol

11. LakeShow T profile image73
    LakeShow Tposted 12 years ago

Since it seems like some have thrown the greatest female tennis player of all-time into the mix, I think that would have to be Steffi Graf. Hasn't she won over 20 grand slam titles? I remember she was pretty much unbeatable in her era.

12. Don Ship profile image74
    Don Shipposted 12 years ago

Federer, of course! big_smile

13. europewalker profile image79
    europewalkerposted 12 years ago

Roger Federer!

14. I am DB Cooper profile image64
    I am DB Cooperposted 12 years ago

I think I'd have to separate it into the wooden racket era and the modern era, because tennis changed so much with the modern rackets. The game lost some of its finesse and became more about power and speed. I'll take Bjorn Borg for the wooden racket era, and I'll give Roger Federer the edge over Sampras for the modern era. I don't really think Sampras' competition was much better than Federer's, they were just more famous.

When discussing tennis from the wooden racket era, it's also important to remember that the Grand Slam wasn't a big deal back then. Borg skipped the Australian Open for most of his career.

15. nickybille profile image60
    nickybilleposted 12 years ago

In tennis you see the Nadal is the best plays in the clay court and on grass the Roger Federer  plays game well.

But, I like Andy Roddick.

16. Info Bucket profile image63
    Info Bucketposted 12 years ago

My choice....Roger Federer!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)