How do you change your dietary habits?

Jump to Last Post 1-2 of 2 discussions (5 posts)
  1. Eliminate Cancer profile image60
    Eliminate Cancerposted 12 years ago

For health reasons, many people have been told by their doctors that they need to change their diet, or they just know that they need to eat differently.  Or maybe they've moved to another country and need to get used to a new type of cuisine.  How do we learn to like new foods, or is it possible that there are some foods we will never learn to like?  Are our tastes something we are born with, or does it evolve - is it possible that we could learn to like anything if we had to?

1. EyesStraightAhead profile image75
      EyesStraightAheadposted 12 years agoin reply to this

When I was diagnosed with Crohns several years ago, I had to significantly change how I ate. I am a huge fan of spicy food, which is not my friend since my diagnosis. I have to monitor what I eat and ensure if I am going to eat something "bad" that I am home for the evening. That said, I had to learn to love fruits and vegetables, and even became vegan for a while out of default. At first, I had to force myself to try new foods, or else I would have been eating a very limited array of food. As I began trying new things, I really began to love fruits and veggies, to the point that now they are my go-to snack. When I fell off the wagon, so to say, last year due to work and stress, I really saw a change in my health, complexion, and overall demeanor.

Some tips I think will help others are to look for recipes that contain the fruits and veggies you would like to try. At first, try casserole dishes for new veggies, as they hide the taste a bit. Then slowly work your way into trying them alone. For example, at first I had to eat asparagus as part of a great chicken, broccoli, asparagus, and cheese dish. Slowly I was able to remove the chicken, remove the cheese, and finally the broccoli. Then I learned to broil, steam, and saute the asparagus. Now I even love it steamed and then eaten in a wrap a little cold!

I believe changing your eating habits is not an overnight thing, but with the right recipes and support you will be able to do it. Spark Recipes from Spark People, All Recipes, and Post Punk Kitchen provide some wonderful recipes to start enjoying new, healthier dishes.

Eliminate Cancerposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Great advice on the transition!!  I am sometimes nearly vegan, and I like to eat a lot of raw veggies, for health reasons.  I noticed that after several months of eating some sort of raw greens almost daily, that I would crave it if I didn't have it.

It makes me sad to see people in restaurants order a steak, and they eat everything on their plate except the vegetables - you expect children to be picky, but it's surprising how many adults don't eat veggies.  I think your casserole idea would be great for people like this.

2. vespawoolf profile image93
    vespawoolfposted 12 years ago

After moving to Peru, we learned to enjoy new foods. Peruvian food is generally delicious but some dishes, for psychological reasons, were difficult to eat. For example, guinea pig (cuy as they say in Peru) is a delicacy in the Andes. To turn it down would be the ultimate insult, so we had to buck up and eat. It's actually a dark, greasy meat but tasty if prepared the right way. The problem was our upbringing and having had guinea pigs as pets when we were children. I think a lot of our food preferences involve what we ate/didn't eat as a child and why. If we can learn to analyze why we like or don't like certain foods and get over the prejudices we may have formed toward them, we begin to enjoy new foods or at least tolerate them.

Eliminate Cancerposted 12 years agoin reply to this

You make an interesting point when what you eat is also an animal that we keep as a pet.  Most people never see the animals their food comes from.  We buy cuts of beef at a store without a real connection to the animal it came from. 

Also, texture goes a long way - especially greasy texture.  Greasy meats, and oily fish are two foods I have trouble with - often I say I'm vegetarian when I travel.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)