"Cold dead Hands" a music video by Jim Carrey. Genesis or Soulless?

Jump to Last Post 1-2 of 2 discussions (38 posts)
  1. Castlepaloma profile image75
    Castlepalomaposted 10 years ago

Jim Carrey’s "Lonesome Earl and the Clutterbusters".  -wrote a song reference to Charlton Heston NRA statement, "I'll give you my gun when you pry it from my cold, dead hands." The wording of one part of Jim’s song was “ he could not enter Heaven, as even the angels could not pry the gun from his hands. All Staged as an episode of Hee Haw in which Heston is a guest star. The video also features The Eels dressed as Abraham Lincoln, Mahatma Gandhi, and John Lennon (all of whom were advocates of peace that were assassinated with guns).

I don’t get insulted if it’s the truth, fearless enough to change, and if it’s not true just move on.

Ted Nugent (gun nut), Alex Jone (blow horn) and most of all, Fox were very angry by Jim Carrey.
    I’ll say, Jim was genius, It’s about people’s behavior with Guns on earth, not so much about a man’s soul that nobody knows until each one of us, gets to that spirit world..

How about you, Genius or Soulless ?

1. profile image58
      Education Answerposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Jim Carrey and George Clooney are both talented, but that doesn't mean they have acted with tact.  When somebody, form either side of the aisle, makes statements like this, it does nothing but to drive a wedge between both sides.  It shows no tact, no class. 

As reported at World New Daily from January of 2003:

In receiving a special film making achievement award from the National Board of Reviews, actor George Clooney joked that "Charlton Heston announced again today that he is suffering from Alzheimer's."

Clooney still had a chance to apologize for the bad humor day. When questioned about the remark by New York Newsday, Clooney sputtered: "I don't care. Charlton Heston is the head of the National Rifle Association. He deserves whatever anyone says about him."

Talent doesn't necessarily mean that one is acting in a moralistic way.

Castlepalomaposted 10 years agoin reply to this

My simple moral policies -no harm and be honest. Make good sense to allow Clooney and Carrey fit with those idea's and their hard work.  Fox, Negent and Allex promote fight rather than peaceful solutions. I would defend Heston honor if he was a class act like John Lennon or Gandhi.

War or guns solve nothing. Been to 6 war zone countries, would not be alive today, if I had a gun with me.

2. profile image0
        Beth37posted 10 years agoin reply to this

What a good quote. I love the talent of Jim Carrey and George Clooney and although Charelton Heston was a superstar in his day, he is not even on my radar for the most part... that doesn't mean anything about anything though. How could any of these ppl think that something matters to us b/c it matters to them? I'll make up my own mind about guns, abortion, who I vote for, and what matters to me, thank all y'all superstars for your input though. I'll just file it away where it belongs.

Do you even think Jesus, would approve of guns other than to kill for food?  If a gun kills a soul dose that make him a super human being, or will he get the wrath of God orders - not to kill.
          All that dose not matter according to America road record of hypocrites

Can't imagine Buddha, Gandhi or Jesus sitting at a table taking about weapons of mass destruction, gun or bombs.

“If every life is important, and if you’re trying to save people from dying by gunfire, then you can’t ignore nearly two-thirds of the people who are dying by suicide by gunfire.

GunIn 2010 in the U.S., 19,392 people committed suicide with guns, compared with 11,078 who were killed by others. According to (HICRC)

1. profile image0

I read back and I can't really see where Jesus was referenced in this thread... until your last post. That must have been a subject you tried to sort of force this subject into b/c you know I am a Christian?

My point was that just b/c someone acts for a living, they shouldn't think their opinion has any more weight than any other citizen. I didn't bring religion into this subject at all.

You mean Heston did not make Biblical movies and went to heaven with his gun.?

We are talking about honorable men throughout history also. Jesus was man in history who did not personally use weapons. Carrey and Jesus did have guards who did have a weapons for protection them.

Carrey made 5 billion $ wroth of movies and Jesus claim to be King of kings. Makes sense, if you're talking out about guns, swords or bullies by their means of magic entertainment.

1. profile image0

Um... ok then.

2. profile image58

I don't care about how talented Carrey is or isn't.  He didn't show class.  The same goes for Clooney.  When is it appropriate to mock somebody who has a fatal disease? 

Ted Nugent is talented too.  Does that mean you think he's right?

If you want to turn this into a debate about whether or not gun rights are justified, that's a different thing.  Yes, I believe gun rights are justified; I'm nauseated by the sanctimonious Hollywood liberals who spew venom at anybody who disagrees with their progressive gun-control agenda.  Jim Carrey versus Thomas Jefferson?  George Clooney verses John Adams?  I'll take Jefferson and Adams any day of the week.

Thomas Jefferson was talking about musket guns that take 3 minutes to load. In that time and distance I could run up to them and kick their ass with my bare hands.

1. profile image0

Do you read the things you say?

2. profile image58

No, you're wrong here.  An experienced shooter, in the American Revolution, could fire three times per minute, not once every three minutes.  Actually, in a pinch, they probably could have pulled off four rounds per minute.  Having personally fired a Harper's Ferry Model 1803, I can say that you're wrong here.  Even so, what's your point?  Is this the argument liberals like to make about how guns have changed, and the founding fathers didn't intend for us to have access to guns with such large magazines and firepower? 

The founding fathers chose their words carefully.  They specifically referred to the right to bear arms, not the right to own guns.  One has to wonder why they didn't refer to them as muskets, flintlocks, or even swords, all common weapons back in 1791.  They knew technology would evolve, and current weaponry would become outdated.  That's why they referred to these weapons as "arms."  Were canons against the law back in 1791?  No, arms were legal, not just flintlocks.  What restrictions were there back then?  None.  That's the point.  There were no restrictions on arms, a broad, carefully-selected term.

"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government"

-- Thomas Jefferson

Some would say that the term "gun" was unpopular back then.  That's why, they claim, arms was the terminology used.  That's not true.  Here's another quote.

"As to the species of exercise, I advise the gun. While this gives [only] moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise, and independence to the mind. Games played with the ball and others of that nature, are too violent for the body and stamp no character on the mind. Let your gun, therefore, be the constant companion to your walks."

-- Thomas Jefferson

What's next?  Are we going to say that the founding fathers had no idea how communications were going to change?  Thus, you do not have first-amendment rights when it comes to communications via telephone and the internet?  Freedom is freedom, and it doesn't need to be justified because of a change in technology.  Should freedom of speech be restricted to parchment and quill, printing press, or personal communications?  After all, this was the technology available back in 1791.  This argument doesn't hold water when it's applied to other freedoms, but people who advocate gun control love to use it when it serves their purpose.

2. profile image0
      Rad Manposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I think Jim was hilarious. Fux News was funny as well.

I was hoping someone would notice the Video.

2. psycheskinner profile image84
    psycheskinnerposted 10 years ago

I think there is a very fine line between confronting a bully and being one.  In the recent movie theater murder case one man threw popcorn, the other replied with a bullet.  Who was the bully?

Why that dirty popcorn thrower, murder was too good for him!!! lo

Got strapped so bad in school; that I could not write with my hand for 3 weeks. Why,? because I dropped my pencil a few times. Still today, drop popcorn and pencil all the time, it didn't do me any good.

Punishment worst than the crime still goes for most, right into the afterlife.

1. profile image0

What year was that?

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)