Memories of Christmas

Jump to Last Post 1-5 of 5 discussions (9 posts)
  1. RJ Schwartz profile image87
    RJ Schwartzposted 7 years ago

With the Christmas holiday in our sights, snow falling, and children on vacation, it's time for everyone to take a collective break from the day to day grind.  I know many of us disagree politically, ideologically, and even religiously, but I bet we can put all those things aside for a few days and talk about something happy.

What is your fondest Christmas memory?  I remember being a young lad about 10 years old, back in the days of hand me downs, macaroni and cheese and hot dogs, when my parents were struggling just to make ends meet.  They were married on the same night they graduated from High School with a baby on the way.  My dad worked two jobs and was going to night school to get a college degree for most of my youth, so I didn't see him much, but I'm not complaining.  That Christmas, I remember coming downstairs in a flurry as most kids do on Christmas morning and there in front of the tree were brand new bicycles for me and my older brother.  I'm sure the cost came close to breaking the bank, but the look on my parents face at how happy the two of us were, was nothing short of priceless.  So much that I still remember that day every year when my own children open their gifts.  I rode that bike until the tires fell off but never forgot the story behind it and the sacrifices I'm sure my folks made to give them to us.

My sincerest wish to everyone on HP is to have a holiday season that makes lasting memories.  If you're Christian, then Merry Christmas, If you're pagan, then enjoy Yule, if you are Jewish, then Happy Hanukkah, and if you follow another pathway, then Good Tidings to You! 
    I toast to your health, your wealth, and your happiness!

2. wilderness profile image96
    wildernessposted 7 years ago

Christmas is a very special time for I and my family.  We'll have 3 families together for the day and anticipate a wonderful time with our children and grandchildren. 

Favorite memory - it has to be the time I was helping in the Salvation Army toy store, giving toys to the poorer that would otherwise have none.  Many patrons were surly and unhappy, it was not a pleasant place to spend the day.  But one mother and young daughter came in, received their bag and carefully went down the aisle choosing toys for siblings (most just scooped until the bag was full, getting "their share").  As they left the little girl stopped dead, handed her special doll to her Mom and dashed back towards me, pigtails flying.  Scared to death, she nonetheless gave me a kiss on the cheek, whispered "Thank you so much!" and ran back to Mom.  It made the entire day worthwhile and I still remember that incident from 4 decades ago.

And Good Tidings to you, too, Ralph in this joyous season.  May your new year be better than the old one, however great it might have been.

RJ Schwartzposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Great story - amazing how a small child can have a lifelong impact on us adults.  Merry Christmas and thanks for sharing!

3. colorfulone profile image77
    colorfuloneposted 7 years ago

Dad worked two jobs many times to provide for our needs, and some of our wishes always came true for Christmas.  As a little girl, I remember going through the Sears and Roebuck catalog each year and being able to point out to Mom what I would like for Christmas, respectfully in moderation.  Lo and behold, they manifested under the tree! ... and the milk and cookies we set out for Santa by the chimney were gone.  (I never figured out how Santa got those presents through the 12" by 12" clean out opening in that chimney, it must have been magical.)   

One year Santa came to our house for Christmas to bring presents.  I was peeking out from behind Dad's chair afraid to come out, in photos.  I don't remember that well, but I can see the proof.   

I remember making snow angels in the snow, believing that God would send angels our way for a blessed Christmas. 

What a sweet thread topic.  I'm sitting here with a big smile on my face, remembering. 

Merry Christmas to everyone, and God bless! 
    (I'm not politically correct.)

Sounds like you had wonderful parents who truly cared about making Christmas special for you.  Thanks for sharing and Merry Christmas!

4. Live to Learn profile image60
    Live to Learnposted 7 years ago

Well, when we were kids dad would put the lights on the tree and then he and mom would sit down and pass out the ornaments for us to put on. We each could have one special ornament only we could put on the tree. We were rather poor at first so there wasn't anything super special to chose from. I had a scruffy little chicken ornament. It was probably just something the older kids didn't want but I put that on that tree for the entire time I was growing up. Even after we became somewhat affluent and mom bought fancier stuff I always looked for that scruffy chicken when the tree came in and the boxes came out of the attic.

I bet somewhere you still have that old chicken ornament right?  I had a similar favorite ornament as a child - it was two hummingbirds, with long beaks, tucked up beside one another in an almost perfect match.  It didn't even seem Christmas-like, but it appealed to me for some reason.  Now almost 40 years later, I still hang those hummingbirds on our family tree each year - my kids treat that ornament with a special type of reverence as they know its my favorite and my wife obtained a small lined velvet box to store it in.  Merry Christmas and thanks for sharing!

5. PhoenixV profile image62
    PhoenixVposted 7 years ago

I remember having goulash. The first night it had meat and tomato. The next night it had just macaroni and tomato, possibly catsup. The next night it was just macaroni. I remember a slice of bread with margarine was kind of an extra. But dad somehow built a big house, started a business him and my mother worked at for years. By the school years I felt we were well off compared to other families and I felt sad and grateful at the same time. I remember the Christmas I got my first bike. It was red as an apple and could ramp over a small tree with a 1/4 stretch to get the speed up. I have a fake tooth up front to prove it. Merry Christmas to you and your family Mr. Schwartz and thank you and everyone else too

Great story...hopefully the family dentist saw the "boy" in you to understand the missing tooth!  Merry Christmas and thanks for your input in the many different discussions we've both been part of over this past year!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)