The demise of Instant Search

Jump to Last Post 1-8 of 8 discussions (14 posts)
  1. Will Apse profile image88
    Will Apseposted 6 years ago

Google just dumped Instant Search. How do I choose titles for my pages now?

All suggestions welcome.

2. Glenn Stok profile image96
    Glenn Stokposted 6 years ago

Will, Nothing to worry about. Only Google Instant Search has been dropped. That's the full list of SERP results that fills the entire page while you're typing. Since most people use mobile now, the screen constraints limit the use of this feature.

The search suggestions, on the other hand, are still there and will remain. I think that's what you were concerned about, since we use the suggestions to help find good titles to use.

And if you want to see the full list, you I can still click on any suggestion to fill the page with the SERPs.

3. Will Apse profile image88

These are the suggestions I get if I type 'tree' into Google search on a browser set to allow Google to suck up personal data:

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/13635138.jpg

They are all searches I have made in the past or pages that I have recently visited.

I have noticed that if I use a browser which caches nothing, I get the old style search suggestions. In other words, if you give Google no data it reverts to the old style of suggestions.

Dunno how long that facility will be around, but it is currently the best way that I can find to do a little keyword research .

4. Glenn Stok profile image96
    Glenn Stokposted 6 years ago

You need to select "Do not use private results" in your Google settings and save the changed settings.

5. WryLilt profile image88
    WryLiltposted 6 years ago

Instant search is different than Google suggest. If you go to the Google search itself (instead of using the browser URL bar), you can still get suggestions.

Will Apseposted 6 years agoin reply to this

It might be a browser thing. Chrome bumps me into the omnibox nonsense (the address bar) when I search. Firefox does not.

Maybe I'm just getting old. Details like this are no longer entertaining.

1. WryLilt profile image88
        WryLiltposted 6 years agoin reply to this

When it does that, I type in a random word like 'cat', then search from the Google search bar in the results.

That does the trick. Thanks for that.

6. Will Apse profile image88

Edit: I forgot to mention this by the way:

http://searchengineland.com/google-drop … rch-279674

Quote:

Several years after Google launched Google Instant, they are killing the default search feature to bring search more inline with mobile devices.

A Google spokesperson told Search Engine Land:

We launched Google Instant back in 2010 with the goal to provide users with the information they need as quickly as possible, even as they typed their searches on desktop devices. Since then, many more of our searches happen on mobile, with very different input and interaction and screen constraints. With this in mind, we have decided to remove Google Instant, so we can focus on ways to make Search even faster and more fluid on all devices.

Looks like the important word is 'default'.

You can still find and use instant search in various ways, for now.

7. makingamark profile image69
    makingamarkposted 6 years ago

I don't understand.

You say you were using Google Instant to choose titles. However Google Instant is all about predictive text - it's got nothing to do with keywords.

If you want to know what similar searches are that come up in Google based on your search query you need to look down the bottom of the first page where Google lists all searches similar to the search query you used.

The old style prediction is based on other peoples searches. So it is useful for keyword research. The mobile version offers stuff based on your previous personal searches or visits.

You can use the closely related searches at the bottom of the page to refine your research, too.

1. makingamark profile image69
        makingamarkposted 6 years agoin reply to this

I still don't understand. Predictive text can throw up all sorts of words wholly unrelated to the topic. Still doesn't seem a very good indicator of keywords to me.

I stick purely to the results at the bottom of the page . I just wish they'd left the keywords tool for AdSense alone - at least with that we used to get a sense of volume.

1. WryLilt profile image88
          WryLiltposted 6 years agoin reply to this

Google suggest is what generates over 500,000 visits to one of my websites per month. It's my main form of keyword research - and all those longtails it throws up have low competition AND don't show in the Google keyword tool. To even show in the drop down, they need at least a few hundred to a few thousand searches per month - so it's a great way to get a high traffic first page results in just days.

8. Will Apse profile image88

It is all these newly coined terms that probably have well defined meanings somewhere in the industry, but are not always obvious, that cause confusion.

Google suggest, predictive search, Google Instant...

Often, by the time you get around to working out what they all mean, they are redundant and the feature is discarded, lol.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)