Did anyone have a toddler who was a bad sleeper? If so how did you help him/her

Jump to Last Post 1-6 of 6 discussions (6 posts)
  1. loneparentgiggles profile image61
    loneparentgigglesposted 12 years ago

Did anyone have a toddler who was a bad sleeper? If so how did you help him/her to sleep through?

My son is 17 months old and won't sleep through. He goes to bed at 8pm and wakes up at 1am every single night, almost on the dot, he's like an alarm clock. Last night he did his usual 1am wake up for a drink, then did it again at 3am, and again at 5am. How can I stop this? I've tried bedtime routines, giving him lots to drink throughout the day, heavy food, light food. I've tried laying in bed and letting him scream it out, going in and hugging him and leaving him a bottle of water by his bed with a light next to it... he won't pick it up and drink it. It has to be handed to him. I'm so tired.

2. Kathryn Plasencia profile image61
    Kathryn Plasenciaposted 12 years ago

Have you started potty training? If not, does he have a wet diaper when he wakes up? It sounds like he might be on a pee schedule, and you might want to consider starting a potty routine.

If that's not it, then it may just be that he's having night terrors or bad dreams, which is perfectly normal for his age.

When my kids wake up during the night, I'll hug them, take them to the bathroom or change their diaper, then tuck them in again. I usually leave a sippy cup with water in a toddler's room.

Key Tactics:
    1. Stay Calm - even when you're so frustrated and tired you want to scream

2. Be Consistent - children thrive on routine, especially when something has them spooked or unsettled.

Each of my 6 kids (with the exception of my 3 month old) has gone through a night-waking phase. It WILL pass!

3. twilanelson profile image60
    twilanelsonposted 12 years ago

One of my daughters woke up every two hours, like a new born baby, for 5 years, then every three hours for the next couple of years.  She is much older now and she still seldom sleeps through the night.  I even had to rub her back gently to get her to take naps (also, not very often, she would just lay there quietly).  I had never heard of this before, and also tried everything.  I was a very tired mom, and now I know we are not the only family to go through this night after night.

Sorry I can't add a solution for you,  good luck.

4. duffsmom profile image61
    duffsmomposted 12 years ago

I just brought her to my bed. She was warm, felt secure and grew out of the need to sleep with me after a while.

It is interesting as married people, we dread sleeping alone, and love the warmth and security having a partner provides (I'm talking strictly about sleeping) but we expect small children to sleep in a room alone and feel safe.

My daughter now has two children; the first was a restless, light sleeper, the second one sleeps like a rock.  Everyone is different.

5. productivitycoach profile image59
    productivitycoachposted 12 years ago

My second child didn't sleep through the night until he was almost 30 months old.  Don't despair - it will end at some point.

Like your son, mine went to sleep just fine, he didn't STAY asleep. 

He's likely waking up for company, not just the bottle.  What worked a little for me was letting him stay in his bed, but lying down next to his cot on a pull out bed, and patting him through the cot rails when he woke up.

As for the bottle, I decreased the amount in it gradually until it was practically a couple of sips, and he stopped grabbing for it.

I think having a light might be counterproductive as it could signal to him that it's time to wake up.

All the best - and hang tight.  Moms were built to withstand long periods of sleep deprivation!

6. Monisajda profile image61
    Monisajdaposted 12 years ago

Both of my daughters didn't sleep through the night until they were respectively 3 and 4.5. Even now they sometimes wake up and need me just to reassure them everything is OK. It apparently doesn't matter that they don't nurse/take bottle at night anymore, they still wake up. As they mature they sleep better. My older one sleeps like a log now.
    I agree with a previous poster about child's need for comfort in the middle of the night, we adults sleep with our spouses and yet expect little ones to be sleeping independently in their own bedroom. I co-slept with my children and it was a great experience for them and much more sleep and rest for me.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)