Do You Agree Or Disagree That There Should Be A White History Month? Why?

Jump to Last Post 1-11 of 11 discussions (13 posts)
  1. wisdom25 profile image61
    wisdom25posted 11 years ago

Do You Agree Or Disagree That There Should Be A White History Month? Why?

I overhead an intense debate between an African American male and a Caucasian male in my neighborhood. arguing about Black History Month and White History Month? The African American Male said that  African Americans suffered from slavery for generations and how we didn't have rights. The Caucasian male said that we was in America first and how immigrants and minorities came to America taking over their land. We won the war, came to America first and we don't get credit for it so therefore we should have a White History Month. That was the arguements. What do ya'll think?

2. Sirus Hunt profile image52
    Sirus Huntposted 11 years ago

This is an interesting topic! I may well do a hub about it, in fact. Anyway, I would have to agree with the Caucasian. A celebration of the history of your race shouldn't be based on the hardships the race endured, rather the achievements. It's a double-standard to say that only African Americans should have a history month, yet Caucasians shouldn't.
    The problem with a White History Month would be the obvious opposition. Kind of like how Travyon Martin was killed by a Hispanic and yet it was seen as a white on black crime. The Black Panthers will almost certainly incite an outrage at the thought of implementing White History Month.

3. wingedcentaur profile image64
    wingedcentaurposted 11 years ago

Forgive me, but I don't think the Caucasian male was being serious. Are you sure you properly caught the tone of the 'argument'? With respect, I might ask: Are you, wisdom25, kidding, seeing what kind of reaction you can get?

For example, the Caucasian male said something about 'we was in America first and how immigrants and minorities came to America taking over their land'? Come, come now, that cannot have been a serious conversation you overheard.

Also: 'We won the war, came to America first and we don't get credit for it so therefore we should have a White History Month.'

You know what I think happened? I think the white male was kidding (the alternative is somewhat more ominous) but the black male did not recognize this, mistakenly took his conversation partner seriously, and then the white guy, finding himself under something of a verbal assault and too proud to back down and just say ('Sorry man, I was just kidding, making a bad joke') and found himself having to defend a ridiculous position.

That kind of thing does happen. I think its a mistake to take the conversation seriously. It was obviously a baaaaaaad joke that got out of hand!

4. TheLifeExperiment profile image57
    TheLifeExperimentposted 11 years ago

Well, we kind of already have White History- its just history, as is black history. I feel like if we made a white history month, some black people might feel like we've taken some steps back towards racism. However, I do also agree with some people that people can be overly sensitive about race- We have magazines, movies, and tv aimed at only African Americans, etc. If it was switched around, and the magazines and whatever else were only for white people, it would be blatant racism. Its kind of a double standard. I don't feel personally insulted at all, but I know of people who do.

5. Rommey profile image60
    Rommeyposted 11 years ago

Any kind of monochrome 'History Month' will always play into the hands of Fascism. We can see the results of what we tried.  It only exacerbated the prejudice and increased the separation between our social groups.
    What we need is a Human History Month, so we can celebrate the achievements of humankind and highlight our fallings to avoid repeating the mistakes of the past. When the great majority of those under the age of forty have no idea of the history of the twentieth century, a Human History Month becomes a dear necessity.
    Recently, on occasion of producing a play that made reference to the rise of Hitler in Germany, it was astonishing and utterly sad, to find a whole bunch of college students that had no idea of what Hitler was about, and even less of the major role of the USA and the UK in the rise of Nazism in Europe. Of course nobody thought anything about how many lives cost us to clean up the mess to which we contributed the most.

6. Uninvited Writer profile image78
    Uninvited Writerposted 11 years ago

Black History Month and Women's History Month were created because those histories were getting ignored by the history books and were not being taught in school.  Every month was White History Month.

1. dianetrotter profile image62
      dianetrotterposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Absolutely!

7. randslam profile image79
    randslamposted 11 years ago

Certain topics don't require an answer, because the obvious should be staring us in the face--no matter the amount of color in it.

It's like having a kids' day because Mother's Day exists--the answer is always--"everyday is kids' day."  In recent history, it's pretty much been a bunch of white boys doing the dominant story-telling, ergo, the American Black History Month.

Looking beyond that, it hasn't always been a Caucasian-led planet, and one could argue that it still isn't.  China has seen highs and lows--and will soon be a leading culture economically, and likely, intellectually.  Egypt--back in the day--wasn't Caucasian.  Heck, Jesus probably had high levels of melatonin in his skin--certainly leaning towards a very dark skin--his eyes were not blue.

The tolerance of all races, and their histories, are important--by proclaiming months as specific periods to celebrate them--a modern tool that can bring focus to groups that have seen difficult histories.  White history month?  Maybe after a few hundred years of poverty and slavery...time will tell.

1. Sirus Hunt profile image52
      Sirus Huntposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I feel Uninvited Writer had a very good point with the histories being ignored in the history books at school. But again I must reiterate that having a history month is about celebrating the achievements of any one raceā€”not the suffering they endured

8. baronhertzog profile image69
    baronhertzogposted 11 years ago

What about just History Year? We're all human and all of history is important. I understand how a 'White History Month' would come off, so it's not a good idea. But seriously now, where's the Asian History Month? Why is there just a Black History Month?

9. flashmakeit profile image61
    flashmakeitposted 11 years ago

My opinion is that it would be a good idea to have  a white history month which would honor the many great lovable orderly Caucasian who help make the world a better place to live because this would curtail the negative stereotyping.  I do not think any race of people should be glorified for having a brutal bestial barbarous ugly war.

10. TrahnTheMan profile image59
    TrahnTheManposted 11 years ago

A delicate and potentially explosive question, but it's generated some very considered responses, so rather than wading in I'll just say thanks for creating a pretty interesting discussion. Political correctness is stifling so many topics and issues that it's a serious threat in my opinion to rational and needed debate, so I'm personally pleased to see issues like the one you've raised getting an opportunity to be ventilated here.

11. dianetrotter profile image62
    dianetrotterposted 11 years ago

I'm obviously older than commenters here.  I attended school in Arkansas in the 50s and 60s.  Our textbooks were all about the accomplishments of white people.  We were not taught anything about slavery.  I attended the infamous Little Rock Central High School.  During the Civil Rights Era, late 1960s, is when we first started hearing of contributions African americans made to society.

We needed to hear that people who look like us had accomplished things in life.  Teachers at Central High did not encourage Black students to go to college.  If we hadn't heard positive things about our people from our people, we certainly were not going to get it in the classroom.

Black colleges were founded because Black people could not attend White colleges.  A rational person should understand the circumstances when told. 

I hope this is not coming across harshly.  It is heartfelt.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)