Does following a lot of people result in a lot of them following back and, if so

Jump to Last Post 1-9 of 9 discussions (17 posts)
  1. hawaiianodysseus profile image70
    hawaiianodysseusposted 11 years ago

Does following a lot of people result in a lot of them following back and, if so, more Hub views?

I'm observing a movement afloat and am wondering if it's an effective "social media device" to use.

2. Ellana317 profile image69
    Ellana317posted 11 years ago

Hummm... I'm not so sure.  I have actually gained more followers by commenting on questions and posting them but who knows... This might work as well.  If that's the case I need to start following more people than what I actually am.

hawaiianodysseusposted 11 years agoin reply to this

@Ellana317 Actually, Ellana, according to the information eloquently shared by Relache, one might be better off not engaging in excessive following just for the sake of getting contrived traffic. Sounds like you're doing great! Thanks for sharing!

3. Ddraigcoch profile image73
    Ddraigcochposted 11 years ago

Whilst a lot of people do follow you back if they are active, the benefit is in true socializing. Move around the site and read hubs, leave a comment and mark them as you find them, interesting, funny, useful.....only if you do of course. You will find that people will then be more likely to visit your hubs and comment. Yes, this natural social connecting is vital to views and growth.

@Ddraigcoch Everyone who responded to this question did a real stand-up job! It's your answer that I love the most. It reinforces the premise that organic is better than synthetic. Thank you for sharing.

2. Ddraigcoch profile image73
      Ddraigcochposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Thank you Hawaiianodysseus. Just stating what I have learned from others that have much more experience than I and also what I have seen over 18 months.
      Being part of the community is much more fulfilling.

4. profile image0
    sandoniaposted 11 years ago

It can be effective on some platforms. On HubPages, people seem to follow and follow-back as part of the community. Some of them are more interactive than others. On Twitter, it seems much fewer people follow-back and even fewer actually pay attention unless a comment is directed at them. Traffic wise, I have noted a majority of my present traffic comes from fellow hubbers, but I suspect that will change as I continue to write.

@sandonia
      You make great points! I certainly identified with your comments regarding Twitter. BTW, that's a really cool profile picture! Cleverly done! Aloha!

5. relache profile image73
    relacheposted 11 years ago

If you follow a lot of people in a short amount of time, it will result in your overall Author Score dropping really rapidly.  The system was actually designed to do that just to thwart people following just for the sake of trying to get followers.

I have a LOT of followers and based on the stats comparing internal traffic (from HubPages) to external traffic (from search engines) my followers have almost no effect on my views, as so little of my traffic is from internal sources (only about 5%).

If you are going to create Hubs that are going to cater specifically to other users, you might want more followers, but if you really want traffic and earnings, it's more worthwhile to focus on external traffic.

@relache
      You know, I've come across your work and your other activity on HP, and I have been impressed. Your answer has substance to it, and it certainly makes sense to me. Thank you very much!

6. profile image0
    Ghost32posted 11 years ago

I don't have a clue, mostly (no doubt) because I don't care.   When it comes to following other writers, I do--but somewhat selectively, only those whose work really makes me want to know more.  Fortunately, there are plenty of those.

As for who follows me, I appreciate my fans (a LOT), but if my "follower" count was zero, it wouldn't matter...with one exception:  Some truly awesome writers and readers have provided a whole lot of inspiration over the years.

@Ghost32
      Great answer! I like the fact that you're a plain-speaking man. With the flag behind you, I'm guessing that you're a veteran...and if you are, thank you very much for serving our country! Best wishes for continued success on HubPages!

7. profile image0
    mjkearnposted 11 years ago

Hi hawaii,

I think you should only follow those hubbers whose work you are truly interested in. That said I see a lot of X "is now following" Y and can only assume it is for mutual following instead of a real interest in each others work.

I follow those that I have an interest in and try to always leave fan mail to say why. I believe over time this will lead to genuine followers for both.

Is this the sensible strategy?

I think not but it's the honest one and that is how I live my life and I'm very happy that way.

I'm new here and as far as I can tell, to get sensible traffic, hub views, you need to be in the good graces of "Sir Google"'.

I have phoned, texted and mailed this Guru but he won't talk to me.

I don't think he or she, oops nearly forgot the "or she", pardon, forgive me and phew! is at all interested in cars and bikes.

My one true follower, Ben, the Black Labrador, can't seem to get enough of me and I think this is great traffic but I suspect and understand that I'm not sure, but I don't think he can read!

MJ.

@mjkearn Ha ha! Very clever answer. I like your honest, sensible, and pragmatic approach, and that is the road I wish to travel on. Thank you so much for going the extra mile to respond with both quality and quantity. Aloha and mahalo!

8. mary615 profile image82
    mary615posted 11 years ago

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/6790977_f260.jpg

Some Hubbers just "jump on and jump off" make a short comment like "Great", go to the profile of the author and ask for a follow.  That way they get a lot of followers!   I just did a Hub on the subject of followers:

http://mary615.hubpages.com/hub/What-Ma … low-Hubber

9. tmbridgeland profile image80
    tmbridgelandposted 11 years ago

When someone follows me I will click through and see if their writing looks like something I want to read. If so, I follow back. I also check to see if they have just followed a lot of people in a very short time. If so, I don't bother following back, since they probably have never read anything I wrote.

If someone comments on my Hub I will often follow them. Also, if someone has a really good Hub and I like it enough to comment, I will often follow them. I prefer real comments to just follows.

@tmbridgeland
      I'm passionate about writing, as I know you and so many others here on HP are. Because I'm late to the dance, so to speak, regarding SEO and social media, I feel a pressure to "catch up." I'm therefore very grateful for your A+ advice.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)