Is college education still worth these days?

Jump to Last Post 1-7 of 7 discussions (9 posts)
  1. alexandriaruthk profile image68
    alexandriaruthkposted 11 years ago

Is college education still worth these days?

With rising cost of education and the shift in the new job openings, there seems to be a mismatched of the number of graduates in a certain specialization and the demand for the particular job.

The new graduate needs to pay a student loan and then trying to find a job is getting harder because of high unemployment rate. These and a lot of other factors are making it hard for the new graduate to survive.

Do you think that earning a college degree is still a profitable endeavor these days?

2. lburmaster profile image71
    lburmasterposted 11 years ago

Why do people keep asking this question? Yes, it is worth it. Even if you have an associate's degree, it is worth it. I was making minimum wage at a restaurant until my associates. Now I'm almost making twice as much. With my bachelors, things will only get better. Also, if you are smart, your degree will not cost too much. One of the reasons people regret getting their degree is because they didn't know what jobs were options once they received their degree until they spent all the money on a degree that didn't fit them.
    As well, NOT EVERY COLLEGE STUDENT HAS STUDENT LOANS! They are for idiots who want debt. It is better to save for years than get a student loan.

1. TIMETRAVELER2 profile image84
      TIMETRAVELER2posted 11 years agoin reply to this

I disagree.  I took a federal loan that reduced itself to half just by my working for the first five years.  After that, the interest and payments were low until payoff.  It was very much worth it.

2. lburmaster profile image71
      lburmasterposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Consider yourself lucky. Most all of the graduate I talk to about their student loans are depressed and frustrated beyond belief about it. Especially if they get married and their partner has more in student loans than they do.

3. SportsBetter profile image61
    SportsBetterposted 11 years ago

It is up to you to decide whether or not it is worth it to you. There are people who benefit from it.

In my opinion, college education has declined in quality but risen in cost.  More kids come out of college in debt and can't find a job. You are better off buying gold and silver and waiting four years instead of going to college. You would see a greater gain. 

Also, I feel as though I learn much more on the internet than I ever did in school.  Of course not all the information on the web is accurate, but either is it completely accurate in school. 

If you want to change the education system you need to get government out of the way.  The reason the cost has risen is because government guarantees loans for students.  Since the loan is given to students it inflates the cost because the money for it is printed.  The schools also know the money is going to be received so they raise the costs.  All the government does is insure quality will go down and price will go up. This also makes sure that every kid goes to college who may not even be qualified for college. 

Before government was giving easy credit loans to students, the students were able to work and pay for it because the cost wasn't so high.  The same things have happened in energy, agriculture, and healthcare. 

Most people have forgotten that the best way to learn a practice, is on the job.  Unless your job is to become a doctor, lawyer, etc.  We really need to get the government out of the way and allow the market to determine what the best education is through competition.

4. connorj profile image68
    connorjposted 11 years ago

I believe it is indeed priceless; college is much more than just preparation for a job or if you will, a career. It is becoming part of a learning community that learns and acts together over a period of anywhere from 2 years to 7 years. It is embarking out primarily on your own, (relative to your family that is) and coming to terms with what you want to accomplish in life. It can be a most wonderful phase in life where you build long-lasting relationships and perhaps indeed capstone your maturity, self-efficacy and value to optimize your life. It can influence you profoundly to even change our world. It is the proving ground for the majority (not all) of our future leaders and shakers...

5. TIMETRAVELER2 profile image84
    TIMETRAVELER2posted 11 years ago

This is a good question.  My answer is, it depends.  If you go to college and take up a field that has no practical marketability then , no, it's not worth it.  However, if you study something that will supply you with a profitable career, then my answer is yes.

I was a Spanish major in college and was unable to find a decent job with that major.  I took a Masters in Teaching and wound up with a satisfying career that had great benefits and gave me a pension.  It never paid well, but when I went to school, my education did not cost nearly as much as going to school costs today.

I think students have to choose wisely to make college work for them.

6. Emayordomo profile image80
    Emayordomoposted 11 years ago

An education is priceless. But if you squander your time away while there, then of course, it's not worth it. Earning a degree is slowly becoming one of the only ways to earn a profit these days. The job market is so competitive that college is becoming a necessity for employers.

7. Express10 profile image85
    Express10posted 11 years ago

Yes, if the student gets an education in a field that has a good number of jobs that will be open WHEN they graduate. This requires research, planning, and effort, which too many people of all ages simply refuse to do unfortunately. We see the results all around.

College is not for everyone and some individuals can earn comfortable incomes with a high school diploma or a a community college certificate. This too takes research, planning, and effort. However, let's not forget that large number of affluent people started their own businesses or are independent contractors and they don't have a college degree or may be college or even high school dropouts.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)