What is your favorite recipe using apples?

Jump to Last Post 1-11 of 11 discussions (26 posts)
  1. Brainy Bunny profile image91
    Brainy Bunnyposted 11 years ago

What is your favorite recipe using apples?

Apples are a traditional food for Rosh Hashanah, and I need some new ideas for the holiday.

2. DreamerMeg profile image81
    DreamerMegposted 11 years ago

I have 4 favourite "apple" recipes but I do not know if they are suitable for your celebration. One is apple tart, ie pastry, with apples cooked inside it, the 2nd is Eve's pudding, which is stewed apples covered by a sponge and baked, the third is Apple Charlotte, which is stewed apples layered with breadcrumbs and baked and the fourth one is apple crumble, which is stewed apples covered by the dry pastry ingredients (before adding water) and again, baked in the oven.
    If you like the idea of any of these, let me know and I'll get a recipe.

Brainy Bunnyposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Oh, an apple tart is a nice idea. And Eve's pudding sounds appropriate thematically! Thank you for the suggestions.

2. lupine profile image65
      lupineposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Apple crumble is one of my favorite.

3. faith_love_hope32 profile image61
      faith_love_hope32posted 11 years agoin reply to this

I think the apple crumble is what I was thinking of when I said coffee cake.  I have to ask my mother.  What ever it is, it's good stuff.  smile

3. EuroCafeAuLait profile image81
    EuroCafeAuLaitposted 11 years ago

Apples are big in Croatia too - it's one of the country's few export goods.  The recipe that comes to mind is my Pasrate - Fritule which are apple fritter balls made with cream of wheat and fruity batter.  This includes plenty of grated apples, raisins and walnuts (optional) -but  lemon and orange rind, rum and vanilla are highly recommended. 

If you want the recipe, it's listed as one of my Hubs.  Happy Rosh Hashanah, by the way!  It's a holiday food for us as well traditionally served on Christmas Eve - or anytime.

Well, that sounds delicious, Euro. I think I'll check out your Hub. And thank you for the good wishes, too!

2. EuroCafeAuLait profile image81
      EuroCafeAuLaitposted 11 years agoin reply to this

You inspired me to make some, so I did... they usually disappear in 24 hours or less, which I take as a compliment.

4. faith_love_hope32 profile image61
    faith_love_hope32posted 11 years ago

My two all time favorite recipes using apples are my mothers apple coffee cake and her apple pie.

1. faith_love_hope32 profile image61

Hi, I'm just curious why one of my comments was removed?  All I told the lady below was that I think apple crumble might be what I was thinking of instead of apple coffee cake??  How was that bad?

2. Brainy Bunny profile image91

Faith, I have no idea what happened. Your previous comment got sent to me for moderation, and it just took me a while to figure out how to accept it.

3. faith_love_hope32 profile image61

Weird lol.  My hubpages account acted strange as soon as I posted it.  Must have been a technical issue.  smile

5. lupine profile image65
    lupineposted 11 years ago

This may be a new idea for you. It's an apple salad, can be a desert. Very delicious. In a bowl, combine chopped apples, chopped celery, walnuts, and small marshmallows in whipped cream. Make your own whipped cream using heavy cream. I prefer to use the green apples, granny smith because of their tart flavor, leave the peeling on for added flavor and color. Keep refrigerated until ready to use.

Oh, I bet my children would love that. Whipped cream and marshmallows are two of their favorite ingredients.

Yes, this is a favorite at my gatherings..these are.ingredients usually not used together.  Children will love this and can help make it too. Please see my hub with this recipe.

6. mvillecat profile image67
    mvillecatposted 11 years ago

Living in the south, we love our fried apple pies. I make them at home with canned biscuits and apple pie filling. Yum!

You know, I didn't even know it was possible to make those at home! Of course, I've never had a real one, just the Hostess fruit pies.

I would love try this, do you have the recipe?

7. vespawoolf profile image91
    vespawoolfposted 11 years ago

I love to slice apples and eat them with cheese. But that's not a recipe. So I'd have to say apple pie is my favorite recipe to use them. If I'm in too much of a hurry to make a pie, I make an apple crisp with slices apples and a topping of oats, flour, sugar, butter and spices. It's even more delicious served with cinnamon ice cream or real whipped cream. Yum!

Mmmmm, apple crumble with cinnamon ice cream sounds like a fantastic combination. Unfortunately, I've never seen cinnamon ice cream! Where do you get it?

2. vespawoolf profile image91
      vespawoolfposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I think Haagen Dazs used to make it, but I make it at home using a recipe for vanilla ice cream. I just add a teaspoon of Saigin cinnamon. I have an ice cream maker. :   )

3. EuroCafeAuLait profile image81
      EuroCafeAuLaitposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Look on the internet, Bunny.  I had cinnamon ice cream (maybe it's a novelty flavor) and it was really good.  Bet it's not too hard either.

8. theliz profile image60
    thelizposted 11 years ago

Great time of year to be thinking of apples.  The arrival of beautiful fall fruit makes me think applesauce.  Check out my recipe at http://theliz.hubpages.com/hub/Simple-H … Applesauce
    Let me know when you try it!

9. Trish303 profile image73
    Trish303posted 11 years ago

Carmel Apple pie. mix apples, chewy caramel candies, cinnamon, brown sugar, butter, nutmeg, and ginger mix together put in to pie shell, top with another pie crust. and bake 350 till brown and apples are done. Top with caramel source and ice cream before serving

10. tussin profile image55
    tussinposted 11 years ago

My favorite is "Cut Fresh Apples." You just get a knife and cut an apple into wedges.  If you cut your finger and it bleeds all over the apples, it's an excellent source of protein.

11. profile image0
    saverthefoodposted 11 years ago

I have many and one is Apple and Spinach Salad with Thyme-Dijon Vinaigrette. And when fresh cherries are in you can add them to the salad. Also I like Apple Mango and Radish Salad with sour cream, horseradish and fresh dill dressing.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)