Why has the Final Fantasy franchise lost its edge?

Jump to Last Post 1-6 of 6 discussions (11 posts)
  1. EJ Lambert profile image73
    EJ Lambertposted 10 years ago

Why has the Final Fantasy franchise lost its edge?

There was a time when gamers couldn't conceive of life without the Final Fantasy series.  Now the once great franchise is an afterthought.  Why is that?

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/8049672_f260.jpg

2. ashkeogh profile image59
    ashkeoghposted 10 years ago

As a kid I was mesmerized by the first ff I played on ps2 boy it was great...now. They need to let the franchise die there is only so much you can take of Japanese RPGs

EJ Lambertposted 10 years agoin reply to this

That seems like the logical answer.  It just seems like the franchise hasn't been able to adapt to the new systems.  They aren't willing to re-imagine their platform and try something new.  It's too bad.

3. Chris Qu profile image75
    Chris Quposted 10 years ago

The desire to do something different instead of doing something that worked alienated a lot of its fans. What made games like FF7 and FFX masterpieces, was that they embraced the JRPG genre, and perfected it. Strong gameplay, engaging stories, memorable characters, the works. Somewhere along the line, Square stopped doing that, though.

They are of the opinion that "different and bad" is better than "derivative, but very good." It's not true though. Which is why Lost Odyssey was so much better-received than Final Fantasy XIII.

Fans of classic Final Fantasy still appreciate a good JRPG, and I'm sure they'd be delighted if Square went back to making them. It's just, these days they tend to get those from companies like Atlus. Test the waters, and gauge peoples' interest. Is there more optimism for Persona 5, or for Final Fantasy XV?

Lost Odyssey was unreal.  The depth of the story took me by surprise.  I would be totally okay if they made more games like that.

4. JohnGreasyGamer profile image76
    JohnGreasyGamerposted 10 years ago

I think what made certain FF games for me was that they were easy to get into. Take FF7 for example - a completely different story to anything else in the game's universe (as far as I know, I'm hardly an FF buff) with explosive gameplay, gorgeous FMVs, brilliant dialogue and a loveable cast. Characters like Tifa, Sephiroth and Barrett can really tug at your heartstrings at times. Now, I find the games are all about big monsters with big guns and big explosions and big cars and big cities. There's no depth to the amount of fluff, and the designers are afraid to move on. FF is not revolutionary outside of its graphics, whereas before it completely changed the way we look at turn-based RPGs, interacting with characters and resource management whilst in combat.

Ask yourself this: you've done everything you can with FF, but people will pay for more. Why put a bullet in the cash cow when it's healthy and has more than enough milk for years to come?

1. Chris Qu profile image75
      Chris Quposted 10 years agoin reply to this

You have to be careful with that way of thinking though. Final Fantasy 14  so poorly received that their stock values were completely slashed by its release. People are more receptive to the FF games, but they are not blinded by them. Not anymore.

2. EJ Lambert profile image73

I think gaming companies don't give customers enough credit to know when they're being ripped off.  The same thing happened to me with Command and Conquer 4.  What a travesty compared to its predecessors.

5. Souther29 profile image80
    Souther29posted 10 years ago

Every time a new Final Fantasy game was released I was so excited in the past.

Final Fantasy XIII was pretty much an absolute mess. It was the first true Final Fantasy game for the PS3 and had big expectation thrust upon it (as it should). Despite graphically looking stunning as well as the well known jaw dropping cutscenes, there were just too many bad changes to the formula as well as really bad pacing and actual boredom, which for me is a cardinal sin for any game. So many people were involved in its development, so lack of communication and a solid direction is why it just didn't work - too many cooks basically.

Luckily XIII-2 was a much improved sequel after consumer feedback was recognised focussing on a few key characters rather than trying to appease everyone with a 'demographic pleasing selection' like the first. The issue is that many big franchises are thinking of their bottom line, extending franchises for no good reason, then thinking of the story as an afterthought.

Lightning Returns is the final game in the 'saga' for the PS3 and I certainly haven't got the buzz or bought into any hype quite yet.

I really believe the franchise lost its magic when Nobuo Uematsu retired as the music coordinator.  Once that part of the formula was gone, everything else just sort of fell apart.

6. profile image0
    Zynkahposted 10 years ago

i think the reason final fantasy is not as epic as it was when i was growing up playing it because the older games really focused on the character story building and you had a more open map with more side game options. plus there was more customizing the individual character itself.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)