Would you rather self-publish an e-book or let a literary agent handle it for me

Jump to Last Post 1-5 of 5 discussions (12 posts)
  1. MarieLB profile image75
    MarieLBposted 8 years ago

Would you rather self-publish an e-book or let a literary agent handle it for me?

If you had completed an e-book and a literary agent seemed interested in it, would you go that way or do you think it would be more of an advantage if you published it yourself?

2. tsmog profile image83
    tsmogposted 8 years ago

That can be a tough question. Basically to answer it one must decide purpose IMHO. Is it to achieve publishing a book, acquiring revenue, or a mix between. Once that is determined one must follow the money trail. For instance what is the cost to publish the e-book with the host.

Obviously the literary agent is not doing it for free. How will the literary agent receive revenue for the representation. A question to ask is how much is the initial outlay for publication costs and whose responsibility is that. Some traditional publishers don't pay those costs upfront. There are times the author does all of the costs to publication a quantity of books. At times it may be shared. And, there may be a minimum for books published.

Some self-publishing book businesses have no upfront cost. They do on-demand publishing. The work is digitally stored and printed only when purchased. That is the basic model Amazon uses. Unsure of LuLu and others. They also offer an e-book with Kindle.

I am not an expert, however with what little I know there are considerations to ponder. Things like who will sell the book, how will that be done, and what are those costs also must be looked at. One must put pen to paper seeking all the pros and cons.

MarieLBposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Thank you Tim Mitchell.  You have opened my eyes to so many points that I was not aware of.  I am nowhere near publishing an ebook, but I feel it is something to research.

2. tsmog profile image83
      tsmogposted 8 years agoin reply to this

I have not looked hard at the e-book market and means to publish other than Kindle. The nitty-gritty of any publishing is the costs, the marketing to promote a purchase, and its distribution means. Without awareness no one will purchase it.

3. dashingscorpio profile image80
      dashingscorpioposted 8 years agoin reply to this

As Tim alluded to: writing the book is the easy part.
      Marketing & promotion in addition to getting great editorial reviews is the challenge. Some people don't have the time, money, or the will to invest the effort to sell their book.

3. profile image52
    peter565posted 8 years ago

I have done it once, my opinion, is that it is a waste of money.  People usually won't even hear of your book and you sell 0 copy.

I am in no doubt that many will go through that kind of experience.  There are so many books offered that it is a wonder that some make it through to the paying reader.  It is an interesting subject though, don't you think?

2. dashingscorpio profile image80

It's unrealistic to expect to become rich off of one book. However if you get some good (editorial) reviews, promote via radio guest spots, social media, or hire a book publicist you should sell some books. One has to promote like it's a job!

4. dashingscorpio profile image80
    dashingscorpioposted 8 years ago

Most literary agents are only interested in traditional publishing representation. They want to attract top publishers to publish your book.
    A publisher's primary goal is to sell books in bookstores with e-book versions being a secondary revenue factor.
    Having said that it really depends on what your book is about. For instance if it's a "How to" book and you want to create a business around it  as well as have marketing experience and are driven you might find you'd earn more money self-publishing your book.
    A lot of these "Authorpreneurs" who have self-help books set up speaking engagements and seminars to sell their book as part of the package. Decide if your book is a product or part of a business.
    Others have mastered the art of using social media to promote their books along with doing blogtalk radio guest spots and blogging to build a brand.
    If you're a driven person the financial rewards of self-publishing could be a lot more profitable than earning 50 cents to a $1.50 on every book sold. A self-publisher may earn 50-70% of the selling price.
    On the other hand if you prefer to be "hands off" and only focus on writing then it's probably best to seek representation. Nevertheless these days publishers do expect authors to do some level of promotional activity especially if they are unknown.

To dashingscorpio:  Cannot fix the typo in my comment below, but what I intended to say is - I do love the moniker !!

5. MarieLB profile image75
    MarieLBposted 8 years ago

dashingscorpio,
    You do seem to be well informed on the subject, and although I am nowhere near that level of writing, I think it is good to know "how it works". Thank you for sharing your knowledge with us.
    PS:  I do love the monker! smile

1. dashingscorpio profile image80

You're welcome!
      If you're interested I have a couple of hubs on the subject.
      They're geared towards writing non-fiction
      Authorpreneurs: Self-publishing With Pride!
      Authorpreneurs Part II: Is this the way to go if you offer coaching services?

Closed to reply

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)