What is the best method to dropping pounds? cardio or strength training? Or does

Jump to Last Post 1-6 of 6 discussions (13 posts)
  1. Shontrice Rean profile image60
    Shontrice Reanposted 7 years ago

What is the best method to dropping pounds? cardio or strength training? Or does your shape matter?

I have heard that a 30 minute high impact work out, combining strength and cardio training is best, that 30 minutes is all the workout time we need. Do this method work for everyone or does it really have anything to do with your body type?

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/13186428_f260.jpg

2. Wesman Todd Shaw profile image81
    Wesman Todd Shawposted 7 years ago

The single best way to reduce the weight of anyone is to take in fewer calories. And while all calories are equal in terms of energy to be released, carbohydrates above and beyond fats, proteins, alcohol, lead to weight gain.

One thing which is counter-intuitive, yet completely true is this: ingesting fat does not make a person fat. Ingesting carbohydrates in excess of what one needs makes one fat.

Exercise is important, but diet is MORE important when it comes to weight loss or weight gain. And it is really just this simple. You don't avoid fats, and you should avoid carbohydrates in excess of what is needed for the physical labors of the day. Live long and prosper.

1. profile image0
      savvydatingposted 7 years agoin reply to this

You are describing a low-carbohydrate diet, which works for diabetics, but tends to be limiting for the average person..

2. WiccanSage profile image92
      WiccanSageposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Savvy low (or better yet, controlled carb) works fine for the average person. Grains are not a food group we need; we can get all the carbs we need from fruits/veggies.

3. profile image0

Fruits are high in carbohydrates, which are not suitable for low-carb diets.

3. profile image0
    savvydatingposted 7 years ago

Unless you are an athlete who works out five to eight hours a day, it may not be realistic to assume you will lose weight with cardio or weight training. Exercise generally helps to maintain the weight as well as to tone the body and create a happier disposition.

There are 3 types of diets:

1) Low Carbohydrate
    2) Low Calorie
    3) Low Fat, High fiber  (20 grams of fat per day)

Contrary to popular belief, the low fat diet is the easiest to maintain for the long term. With this diet, you don't have to starve yourself---and you can eat healthy carbohydrates. The low calorie diet is too limiting; same with the low-carb diet. You might want to look at this book.  Good luck to you!
    https://www.amazon.com/FIT-FAT-Covert-B … 0395271622

1. Shontrice Rean profile image60
      Shontrice Reanposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Thanks for the info, I will look at the book.

2. profile image0

You are welcome. Thank you for picking my answer as "Best." I assure you, low fat is the best diet for long term. It's actually more of a pleasant life style change. wink

4. WiccanSage profile image92
    WiccanSageposted 7 years ago

I don't think it's as simple as calories in --> calories out. It seems like it should be and ultimately sure, almost anyone can reduce their calorie intake enough to lose weight, though that's not always feasible to maintain for everyone.

I agree with fact that diet is really going to be the key because you can't exercise away a bad diet forever. I don't believe either low fat or low carb diets are ideal, since neither fat nor carbs are the villain. Balance is key, and the source you're getting your fat and/or carbs from is more important than how much of it you're actually eating.

Any exercise is going to be a benefit so I think it's best for people to fit the exercise that works best for their lifestyle.

1. profile image0

However, the low calorie diet is very difficult to maintain. An MD I know said that low fat, high fiber allows you to eat more and still lose weight. High fiber foods are satisfying and quite filling & also contain less calories. A win-win.

5. Kevin McClernon profile image70
    Kevin McClernonposted 7 years ago

You asked 3 questions so I have 3+ answers.

You asked about dropping pounds in the first question. Weight may matter, but a better question may be, "What is the best method of changing my body composition?" Why?  You can take three women, all the same height and weight. One may look overweight, one underweight and one looks like an athletic goddess. The difference between the three is body composition, not weight.

Cardio v. Strength Training? Any well developed general fitness plan should address the fitness components of cardiovascular and muscular endurance as well as flexibility and muscular strength. In that way you get all the benefits of exercise while rending off excess body fat.

You asked if shape mattered in the third. If your asking if shape matters, then it does--to you or someone else. I'm not sure if you're asking about appearance shape or "being in shape", as in being physically fit. If appearance shape matters, that's up to the individual. Health-related benefits of being fit including reducing the risk of disease and reducing stress. So if your health matters to you, so should being fit.

Please don't hesitate to check out my profile as I have written several hubs which go into more detail concerning body composition, body transformation, military fitness and sports conditioning.

Hope that helped! smile

6. profile image0
    Matt Reynoldsposted 7 years ago

Plenty of the other comments already addressed diet and its importance for dropping weight. While exercise can certainly help you lose weight, it can only be so helpful without a proper diet in place.

To address your question over the type of exercises though, I personally prefer strength over cardio training. Here's why:

In some instances, depending on the intensity of your workout, a 30-minute cardio workout may burn off more calories than strength training done for an equal amount of time (let's say 180 calories from cardio versus 130 from strength).

However, a stretch of strength training has often been proven to actually increase your metabolic rate (the rate at which your body naturally burns calories) for up to 24-36 hours after you finish your workout. So if you spend the next 2-3 hours watching a movie or reading and your body would normally burn 70 calories per hour, now it is burning 80 calories per hour. Those extra calories can add up over the course of time and actually make a bigger difference than if you solely focused on cardio.

With that being said, I think a healthy mix of cardio/strength exercises and a balanced diet will make the biggest difference.

I hope that helps!

1. profile image0

Excellent advice! I couldn't agree with you more. If I were forced to choose one over the other, I would go with strength training. But luckily, most people are free to incorporate cardio too.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)