Confused About Views

Jump to Last Post 1-9 of 9 discussions (16 posts)
  1. Natalie Frank profile image92
    Natalie Frankposted 5 years ago

I have been working on increasing my views through a number of social media, bookmarking etc. sites and it seems I'm seeing some success at it but the numbers there don't jive with the ones here.  For example, I have several hubs that have done really well on Reddit.  In one case the number of views there are 1.9k from two and three days ago but as of today the views form Reddit are only at 302.  Another was at 6.1k views yesterday but as of today here Reddit total views are 504 with total views only at 3903.  Both of these also have very low bounce rates and long view averages.  Several other articles showing the same patterns.  Any ideas? (Again that would be what it should have been midday yesterday).  Thanks.

1. TIMETRAVELER2 profile image85
      TIMETRAVELER2posted 5 years agoin reply to this

I don't know much about Reddit but have always heard it's not the greatest source for getting views on HP.  It seems to me that what makes sense is what Dr. Mark and a few others have stated.  Unless people on Reddit are actually clicking on article links that take you back to the main article, you couldn't possibly be getting HP views on those clicks.

2. psycheskinner profile image82
    psycheskinnerposted 5 years ago

I am sorry but I don;t understand what you mean.  Do you mean you get a lot of reddit views one day and few the next?  That is normal.  A new post and link will get reddit hits only for a short period when it is near the top of a subreddit.

Natalie Frankposted 5 years agoin reply to this

No.  When I look at how many views I get according to Reddits statistics it says for example I got 6.1K views.  When I look at my stats at HP for that article for the day based on referrers it says Reddit views were 504 which is a long way from 6.1K.  It will say my all time views for all referrers for that hub was 3903 still quite some distance from 6.1K.  So my question is why aren't my views showing up on my stats?  This would obviously make a big difference across all hubs if I'm missing thousands of views per hub per day.  It isn't every hub obviously as not all are appropriate to be put on Reddit.  But the ones I have don't mesh in terms of views recorded on Reddit and views recorded on HP.

1. theraggededge profile image97
        theraggededgeposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Maybe people who are reading the post on Reddit aren't clicking through to HubPages?

Goggle's where it's at. I never bother with social media - it's too fleeting. I do pin my hubs but that's because it's quick and easy.

They are links.  They have to be clicking through.  One article is up to over 30,000 views since June 7 and it's still says only 300 and something for Reddit and total views since I wrote it a year ago are under 4000.

3. newbizmau profile image85
    newbizmauposted 5 years ago

I'm experiencing the same with Hub statistics. They just don't add up. I'll be looking back here for answers hopefully. Thanks for asking this question Natalie.

4. psycheskinner profile image82

How does Reddit tell you the number, is it the number who click the link?  I don't see how Reddit could show how many people went from the reddit post to the hub?

Minor difference are often due to time zone, whether it is only counting uniques, and how long they have to stay on the page to register as a hit.  That is mainly what causes Adsense/HP differences.

5. psycheskinner profile image82

Okay I looked at my reddit and it doesn't seem to give me outgoing stats.  So reddit stats are for people who looked at the reddit post.  Logically most of them probably don't click the link and go to the hub.

6. paradigmsearch profile image59
    paradigmsearchposted 5 years ago

Check Google Analytics. What it says, goes. smile

7. DrMark1961 profile image95
    DrMark1961posted 5 years ago

Quora is set up the same way. They will tell you "Your answer has 5000 views" (or whatever) but will not tell you how many of those people that viewed clicked on the hyperlink and read your article on Hubpages.

They are links so nothing would register unless they clicked on it which would take them directly to the article on HP.  I've gotten almost 2000 comments alone on Reddit meaning they had to have read it or they couldn't be discussing it.  My income has jumped considerably over the last couple of weeks thanks to Reddit views and shares.

8. Gregory DeVictor profile image95
    Gregory DeVictorposted 5 years ago

Natalie, are you aware that you have traffic coming from both Reddit.com and Old.Reddit.com? HP treats them as separate entities.

Yep.  I added both up to get total views from Reddit.

9. Gregory DeVictor profile image95
    Gregory DeVictorposted 5 years ago

OK, I’ve submitted links to hubs to them on and off and the same nonsense has occurred. I have tried to figure out what is going on and have had no success at all. I’m sure that you have also noticed that certain SubReddits only take posts and not links.

1. Gregory DeVictor profile image95
      Gregory DeVictorposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Natalie, did you notice that after submitting some of your articles to Reddit that your traffic automatically increased on other articles as well? It certainly happened to me.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)