Beginning of the End for CNN , Jim Acosta ?

Jump to Last Post 1-10 of 10 discussions (67 posts)
  1. profile image0
    Ed Fisherposted 5 years ago

Jim  Acosta , the rudest reporter ever to enter the white house press  room? Will no longer be in the white house , is this a harbinger for the media bias in America or will they double down on bias , inciting of hate ?

1. wilderness profile image94
      wildernessposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Perhaps reporters will learn to ask questions they would like an answer to rather than make a political speech, using the white house as their platform.

1. Live to Learn profile image61
        Live to Learnposted 5 years agoin reply to this

+1. And maybe in the process one sided individuals will learn the difference between reporting and grand standing.

Don't hold your breath.  First, a reporter must inform the world how evil and wrong the president is, then ask a question.  I particularly like the "have you stopped beating your wife?" type of questions.  Even a child can recognize the fallacy in that one.

2. profile image0
    PrettyPantherposted 5 years ago

The press corps is behaving no differently than it has with previous Presidents. The only difference is Trump, whose fragile ego cannot withstand the scrutiny given every President since the formation of our country.

He called Jim Acosta "a terrible person" for doing his job. He, once again, called the press "the enemy of the people." He has no courage and lacks the character to face normal questions with grace, dignity, and humor.  Take a little time to view videos of Reagan, Obama, and both Bushes answering questions from the press and you will be reminded of how a man of decency, intelligence, and character reacts to difficult questions. Yesterday's press conference was a disgrace, just another reminder that our President is a childish bully who can't handle what every President before him did.

I thought a reporters job was to report the news, not make political speeches degrading the President.  How silly of me!

1. profile image0
        PrettyPantherposted 5 years agoin reply to this

How did he degrade the president, exactly?  How is his behavior any different than what has occurred since presidents took to a podium?  The only difference is the behavior of the thin-skinned man-child who can't handle anyone questioning his conduct. He is an embarrassment.  The press does what they do and have been doing it since there were reporters to ask questions and presidents to challenge.  The only change is Trump, who cannot handle a challenge with dignity and class, only bullying and petulance.

Go back and listen.  Nothing but accusations, with no real question.  An honest person can hear the difference and recognize it.

1. profile image0

I watched the video. 

"Why did you characterize it as such [an invasion] and do you think you demonized immigrants in this election to try to keep....?" The question was not completed because Trump interrupted him, then off they went on a tangent that ended in Trump having an unseemly meltdown.

I know y'all get off on the angry tough-guy behavior, but it is evidence of a man who can't handle a little bit of adversity without childish bullying.

An honest person would admit that behavior just like Acosta demonstrated has played out hundreds of times in the past over many years with many presidents and other politicians.

Trump's behavior?  No.  Presidents before him had maturity and the strength of character to not come unglued over a challenging question.

1. Ken Burgess profile image77
              Ken Burgessposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Like this?
              https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1xnFhvjhAtI

Consider how hilarious that is, the media, except for FoxNews handled Obama with kid gloves, and ALWAYS showed respect for his office, save for this instance perhaps.  And look how well Obama handled it...

Meanwhile, Trump gets hit with idiotic questions every day for two years like:

"People say you are worse than Hitler, what is your response?"

"You are accused of raping a 6 year old girl, and keeping her in a cage in the White House, what is your response?"

"You deliberately stir up racism and hatred against the American people, what is your response?"

That's sound, respectful questioning there, he tolerates it I believe only to show the American people what idiocy he has to contend with daily, and how true his statements about the media, particularly the likes of CNN are.

1. profile image0

Okay, that video is an hour and a half long. Is there something specific you want me to look at because I'm really not interested in watching 90 minutes of an old presser.

What I did glean from the few minutes I watched is that Obama could speak with knowledge in great detail about the subject at hand. How refreshing to be reminded that presidents used to have depth and intelligence and the ability to convey a nuanced position, believing his audience has the ability to comprehend a complex thought.

Anyway, do you not recognize that the questions Trump receives are prompted by his own behavior? A migrant caravan is not an invasion; you can't lock 'er up without a trial, and calling the press the enemy of the people is right out of Stalin's playbook.

But, of course, that has nothing to do with what kind of questions he might receive in response to such behavior, right?

Actually its 34 seconds long.

The rest of your post is just bias and rancor.

1. profile image0

Huh, that is not what came up the first time, but anyway I saw firmness and anger but no personal attack like "you are a terrible person" and no declaration that the press is the enemy of the people.

I don't think Obama's behavior in that video comes close to Trump's childish name calling.

2. wilderness profile image94

in·va·sion
                  [inˈvāZHən]
                  NOUN
                  an instance of invading a country or region with an armed force.
                  "in 1546 England had to be defended from invasion" · [more]

an incursion by a large number of people or things into a place or sphere of activity.
                  "stadium guards are preparing for another invasion of fans"

an unwelcome intrusion into another's domain.

Want to try again on that "the caravan is not an invasion" thing?

Of course it's Trumps fault Acosta exhibited such poor behavior - that he used his time for speech making rather than asking a question and then refused to give up the mic in order to continue that speech.  No one is responsible for their behavior: if it is poor, it's Trump's fault!  Right?

1. profile image0

Where did I say Acosta's behavior was Trump's fault?

3. profile image0

Some people here apparently have no eye for manners , surprise there ,   Acosta would have been banned from Obama's white house on day one had he treated Obama the same way , Trump was way , way to kind to CNN and Acosta .

Should have banned him over a year ago .

Acosta  IS WHATS WRONG with CNN ratings V.

1. profile image0

Aw, you voted for the name-calling bully to lead us and now you're worried about manners.  How adorable!

1. profile image0
        Ed Fisherposted 5 years agoin reply to this

It is your media that has created the Trump false flag  in satan's image ,  listen to any white house press core meeting and tell me ---------------No never mind  , Prettypanther your problem is that you know I'm right , won't accept that because of your ideological hatred and likely lack of political depth .

1. profile image0

LOL, yes, that's it. I know you're right and and will never admit it because of my ideological hatred and lack of political depth.

My gawd, look in the mirror.  Just when I think you can't say anything more.....

Oh, never mind.

2. Ken Burgess profile image77

There is a difference, one is a President.

The other is a schmuck of no import who has a gig with a worthless media station.

One deserves a modicum of respect, even if you despise him, for his position alone.  You respect the office if not the person.

The other is someone who if he can't behave, and can't be respectful, deserves to be thrown in jail, or at the very least, banned from ever being a public nuisance in the White House again.

1. profile image0

Do you believe his behavior was any different than the behavior exhibited by many reporters over many years with many different presidents?  Reporters vie for questions because they know there isn't time for all of them to get their questions in.  This is commonplace knowledge and commonplace behavior. In another setting it would be considered rude.  In the setting of a press conference, it has been accepted behavior for many years. Trump is the only president to not be able to handle it with maturity and dignity, in modern times at least.

By all means, provide some examples.

2. Aime F profile image69
          Aime Fposted 5 years agoin reply to this

So you demand better behaviour from the “schmuck of no import” than you do the President?

Of course, that's how it works, in business, in government, in society at large.

I don't imagine you would grandstand, and attack your CEO at your job, even if you thought that person were a jerk.  I don't imagine you would berate a Judge who is deciding your case.  There are situations where showing respect, and acting civil is expected.  And when you don't act civil, you pay the price for such stupidity.

So... you  can act like an idiot to your CEO, or berate and belittle a Judge, or you can be argumentative and accusatory with the President and even assault his aid in the process... you can do those things, and any punishment, reprimand, or costs are well deserved.

1. Aime F profile image69

I might not call out the CEO of my company if they were an asshole, but being the CEO doesn’t give them a right to be one. And the only thing stopping me would probably be the fact that I’d lose my job if I did it. If I was an outside participant who noticed that s/he was being an asshole and I had the opportunity to tell him/her they were behaving like one then, yeah... I would. The fact that my job might be less important than theirs means absolutely nothing. People don’t get unlimited and unquestioned respect just because they’re a leader - that’s a dictatorship.

But they do if they're critical to the business you work for...and Trump is absolutely crucial to a network trying to interview him or ask questions of him.

And if you refuse to show that respect, heartfelt or not, you will be looking for another job.  Which that idiot is doing now - even if he stays with his current employer he will not be doing it in the white house.

Well I guess it’s a good thing I’ve never found myself in a position where it was necessary to be a kiss-ass, because I refuse to accept that someone deserves respect based strictly on their job title. If a person does something to lose my respect it is lost regardless of whether they’re a homeless person or king of the freaking world.

1. profile image0

Trump supporters score very high on authoritarianism and orient toward social dominance. I personally score very low on both and I suspect you do, too.

These traits are demonstrated by certain positions in this thread.

2. Ken Burgess profile image77

Its not dictatorship.

You have to respect a Judge in his court, even if you hate his ruling.

Or you can disrespect him, insult him, and go to jail.

If in the military, you have to respect the rank of your superior, even if you think that person is a jerk.

Or you go to jail, or are dishonorably discharged.

And you show respect to the President, the office, the position, even if you think that person is deplorable.

This is common sense stuff, this is what ensures our society remains intact, that positions of authority work, be they civilian or military.  Or else we have anarchy, ignorance, violence, etc. without order.

I’m not talking about the decisions that people make as a part of their job or rebelling against orders given to you by authority.

You can respect a decision that a judge makes but not respect the way he carries out the proceedings. You can respect the action or the consequence without respecting the person.

I don’t buy for a second that someone who shows no respect to someone else can demand it in return because of their job title, regardless of what it is.

Authority can exist in a way that welcomes feedback and criticism. Being authoritative is always more effective and productive than being authoritarian.

But the President didn't disrespect him, he answered his question, even though he probably thought it a stupid one, and then he answered another one from the same jerk, and then the jerk thought he could keep on going.

You are defending an imbecile who does not belong doing that job, no matter what he thinks of the President he was unprofessional and disrespectful to the position, to his fellow reporters, and to the Aid that was trying to do her job.   Trump is President of the U.S. of A. and you do not disrespect the office.  If you do, you should lose your job and never be allowed within 200 feet of the white house or the President again.

3. Wesman Todd Shaw profile image81
                Wesman Todd Shawposted 5 years agoin reply to this

You may as well join antifa. That's where your mind is at. I'm sure you'll fit in wonderfully.

Of course, I’m a left-wing extremist because I don’t believe people deserve more respect than any other human being based solely on their job title. Perfectly logical leap you made there.

2. Aime F profile image69

The way that you alternate between berating the left for not having manners and berating them for being too politically correct is fascinating.

1. profile image0

Just like we're a violent angry mob but also delicate snowflakes.

4. profile image0

Furthermore , Let me define your blatant party and likely your own hypocrisy ? If Acosta's attitude/manners  is just fine with you ,  then you have nothing of substance to complain about with Trump's .

1. profile image0

Once again, I did not say it was just fine with me.  I said it is no different than how many reporters have behaved over many years with many different presidents.  Please read that sentence carefully, because you seem to have trouble grasping that very simple point.

1. profile image0
        Ed Fisherposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Oh I understood it clearly and I find it clearly hypocritical ,    Helen Thomas at least knew when to inject manners over ideals and go silent ,  perhaps it is those of you in the urban settings who have no use for manners at all ,   name another as rude as Acosta ?

5. profile image0

Democrats and their puppy media created this  ideological divide and now would not only blame it all on Trump's mannerisms excuse the total lack of manners  of the past ?  They're wondering why disliking and dispising the leftists in America is increasing  , yet that IS what they are all undoubtedly shooting for .

6. profile image0

NO president before Trump has been delivered such positional disrespect  as he has , BUT by doing so the media also is disrespecting  the entire US citizenship , the entire white house and staff and even more so their own putrid reputation .Democrats can know this however , What goes around comes around !

7. profile image0

The debate is useless , Democrats excuse their own media's lousy behavior  and bias for the abject capital they get out of obstructing .They have become ideologically inbred with Pravda USA

8. profile image0
    RTalloniposted 5 years ago

Isn't the reason Acosta's credentials were suspended because he pushed the intern? His verbal behavior is tiresome. Pushing an intern trying to do her job is another story. He should be charged with assault. 

https://www.theguardian.com/global/vide … tern-video

I don't know as I would say anyone was pushed or even that he "put his hands on her", even though there did appear to be contact. 

That doesn't mean that he should ever be welcomed back in, though - his behavior was 100% out of line.

1. profile image0
        RTalloniposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Victims know that first there is a little push, then it escalates. Sometimes quickly, sometimes later with a blindsiding attack, but they know a push is a push. She backed down in self-defense. He did this to himself and should be fired and arrested for battery.

Some say that if Democrats believe Kavanaugh was guilty because of a sketchy accusation, Acosta should be in jail tonight. We should be hearing that he has lost his job and is looking for his get out of jail free card.

1. profile image0

Is the young lady pressing charges?

1. profile image0

Do not know. But maybe it's not a bad idea in this climate.

1. profile image0

Yes, I suppose it would be interesting to find out if she feels she was assaulted. I've never known of a person committing assault to say "Pardon me, ma'am" but I suppose there is a first for everything.

1. profile image0

Experience is all that's needed to know it's not a first. His "Pardon me, ma'am" was in tandem with physical bullying, negating the pretended politeness with a firm indication that she had better get out of his way, which she did. How she feels about it is important, but does not decide what the law says in such a matter. All that's really necessary is a determination that it was non-consensual.

9. profile image0
    PrettyPantherposted 5 years ago

Some of you seem to be forgetting that the President serves the people, not the other way around.

10. profile image0

Jim Acosta has been angry that the camera's aren't always on him .
    Such is the nature of people who realize that no one is watching CNN anymore .  Perhaps the left can get a passing legislation a mandatory watching of CNN by all .

Sat 1 hour per day?

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)