Search performance

Jump to Last Post 1-10 of 10 discussions (19 posts)
  1. Babu Mohan profile image94
    Babu Mohanposted 5 years ago

Hi All. It has been technically four years since I have joined HubPages. I was rather moved from Squidoo to HubPages when the former shut shop. But I could not adapt myself to the changed environment in HubPages and so did not bother republishing any of my Squidoo lenses for a long time. I lost interest in online writing for a while and had no published article till Oct 2018. I just revisited Hubpages out of curiosity in Oct 2018. I had to reset my password as I had forgotten my earlier password. I was glad to know that this platform had continued to do well and I liked the quality of articles from fellow hubbers.

Then I started publishing five of my old Squidoo articles (lens) after some minor polishing. I was pleasantly surprised that all got featured. Today, I have about thirteen featured articles. Half of them are ranking average in Google (second or third page on the targeted keywords) search while the other half is yet to be picked up. There is hardly any search traffic that I am getting now. I am not worried much since many seniors have already said that it takes several months for search traffic to pick up. So that should be fine.

I am glad that HubPages enjoys a good reputation with Google that helps in faster indexing. I get bulk of my traffic now from HubPages which should change graduallyonce search volumes improve . I use my social media handles from time to time to get some trickle. I don't want to be spamming my social media networks. Please read my articles when you get time and share if I am missing some trick to get better search traffic..

2. paradigmsearch profile image60
    paradigmsearchposted 5 years ago

Submit them to the niche sites. That's where the traffic and earnings are.

Babu Mohanposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Thanks for your comments. I have a silly doubt. If an article is moved from HubPages to a network site, what happens to the links? Will the original URL in HubPages auto redirect the readers to the network site?

1. anusha15 profile image83
        anusha15posted 5 years agoin reply to this

Your doubt is not silly at all. The link changes, and in a few cases, it could impact the article. But if an article is not doing well with Google, you have nothing to lose. And yeah, redirection is there, you don't need to worry about broken links if you have already shared, say, at social media websites.
        However, even featured articles might not make it to the niche sites after submission. There are many other criteria. Best of luck and keep trying :-)

3. DrMark1961 profile image96
    DrMark1961posted 5 years ago

As paradigmsearch pointed out,you have to get your articles to the niche sites. If they stay on HP main site you may never see any Google traffic. Even if you do, it will not be much.
    As soon as you are sure that an article has no mistakes or spammy elements, submit it so that it will be moved to a niche site. You can only submit one article every 2 weeks, so get started on this as soon as possible.
    When my new articles are moved to a niche site, it is not unusual to see them in the second or third place on Google the first day. They start getting search traffic right away.

Thanks Dr. Mark. Do they move certain articles on their own to niche sites or would it happen only when we make a request through submission?

1. anusha15 profile image83
        anusha15posted 5 years agoin reply to this

Another interesting question. If the editors think that your article is great and will add value to the niche sites, they might move it themselves. It happened with a few articles for me. Generally, especially initially, the high traffic articles were being moved to niche sites - that was my observation.

Thanks Anusha. I will remember this. Three of my recent articles have been moved to niche sites by the editors after doing some editing through the HubPro Basic program. My old links from social media pages are flawlessly getting redirected to the niche sites as you have mentioned.

4. Natalie Frank profile image90
    Natalie Frankposted 5 years ago

Welcome back.  As pointed out already the niche sites are the place you'll get most of your traffic from.  Also, if you have related articles link one to the other.  Just make sure you are linking from niche site article to niche site article or HP article to niche site.  They don't let you link a niche site article to a HP article.  Good luck!

Thanks Natalie for your advice on linking. Frankly, I am not very familiar with the present system in HubPages that such advises are very valuable.

5. Babu Mohan profile image94

Thanks Natalie Frank, Dr. Mark and Paradigmsearch. Will start moving my hubs one by one to niche sites. Thanks for alerting me about submission guidelines.

6. Wesman Todd Shaw profile image82
    Wesman Todd Shawposted 5 years ago

My 9 year mark will be here any day now. I've never made as much money as I've made this year. Of course I've done a lot of work much superior to earlier years the last few, but yes, it's a fantastic time to contribute.

Thanks friend for your positive words.

7. Kenna McHugh profile image91
    Kenna McHughposted 5 years ago

I left and came back. It takes persistence and edits to get back into the swing of making money. It is worth it compared to other sites.

8. Babu Mohan profile image94

I agree with you, It takes time and effort to achieve anything.

9. Kenna McHugh profile image91
    Kenna McHughposted 5 years ago

I have observed that myself. HP moves my articles to respective niche sites, which is validating. Though, there are times I submit my articles to niche sites as well.

10. Babu Mohan profile image94

A million thanks to paradigmsearch,  DrMark1961,  Natalie Frank, Wesman Todd Shaw,  Kenna McHugh & Anusha15 for your timely advice. I have submitted two hubs for network sites and the editorial team has already moved six of my hubs to the respective niche sites except the first one that I submitted. It had some glaring flaws and I should not have submitted the same. While the editorial team has been most supportive, the help from seniors like you mean a lot to me. You all have made it an enjoyable and enriching experience so far.

1. Wesman Todd Shaw profile image82
      Wesman Todd Shawposted 5 years agoin reply to this

It's a fantastic time to be writing for the Hubpages Network. I'm certainly doing WAY better than ever before, and plan to keep working on bettering old things and writing new things too. Best of luck to you.

Sure friend.  Your words are very motivating.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)