Mars Also Undergoing Climate Change as Ice Age Retreats, Study Shows

Jump to Last Post 1-7 of 7 discussions (52 posts)
  1. Kenna McHugh profile image90
    Kenna McHughposted 4 years ago

The Sun actually has something to do with the Climate Change
    https://m.washingtontimes.com/news/2016 … ge-retrea/

1. Rock_nj profile image90
      Rock_njposted 4 years agoin reply to this

Actually, the sun's radiant energy has been decreasing since the 1980s, and over the same period of time, the Earth's atmosphere has been warming pretty significantly. So it's not the sun that has been causing global warming on Earth in recent decades. As is well known, the sunspot cycle has been on a downtrend for many decades with lower peaks in activity, which is the reason why the sun is sending less energy out to the planets like Earth recently.  Source:  https://skepticalscience.com/solar-acti … arming.htm

2. profile image0
      promisemposted 4 years agoin reply to this

It's safe to say we don't live on Mars.

Kenna McHughposted 4 years agoin reply to this

We don't live on Mars yet! smile

3. profile image0
      RTalloniposted 4 years agoin reply to this

Now you've done it... wink

4. Don W profile image83
      Don Wposted 4 years agoin reply to this

Exactly!

The sun is also hot. It's literally burning up. Are they going to tell us that fumes from our cars are making the sun burn up too?!!!!

It's ridiculous. These "scientists" don't know anything. If it's a choice between trusting the so-called worldwide scientific community's conclusions on climate change, and a student's mid term paper, then I'd choose the student's paper! THAT'S JUST OBVIOUS COMMON SENSE!!!! MAGA!

1. profile image0

Are you being sarcastic? I sense subtle sarcasm ...

2. profile image52
    BHolcombposted 4 years ago

I suppose “man made” climate change is our fault on Mars?  How about worrying about something there IS PROOF OF?!!!!

Yellowstone Volcano
    The Poles reversing
    Meteor impacts

All you are doing is empowering government(s)!!!  STOP IT AND GET RELEVANT!!!!

My daughter wrote a mid-term paper on the climate change reports being false. It's an eye opener at who is making money off this falsehood.

1. profile image0
        RTalloniposted 4 years agoin reply to this

What a great read that should be. Would she let you print it?

I should ask her. It's pretty darn good. She got A++ (means extra credit.)

Considering the fact that the Earth was naturally slipping into its next ice age right on time per the geologic record and that slide suddenly reversed about 100 years ago and the warming has continued strongly over the past 40 years despite the sun's radiant energy weakening over that same time period, I'd say the science is not on the sun being the cause of recent global warming on Earth.  I deal with facts and science, not made up stuff.  I wrote about it all here:  https://soapboxie.com/social-issues/Evi … -By-Humans

3. Live to Learn profile image61
    Live to Learnposted 4 years ago

This is the part that scares me. We understand quite a bit less than we think. I'm afraid the earth's symbiotic relationship keeps the delicate balance it needs for life, taking into account all the things we don't understand.

I'm afraid, in our ignorance, we'll come up with some grand scheme to counterbalance what we think we've done and screw the entire system. Which would be quite ironic. To cause our own extinction trying to avoid our own extinction.

1. profile image0

Good point. At the same time, we might already have started the process of our own extinction by letting carbon emissions run amok.

To your point, either way we have to tread carefully.

2. profile image0
      Hxprofposted 4 years agoin reply to this

What I want to know is this: what are climate scientists missing?  Do climate scientists have all of their ducks in a row,  or are there some unknown factors they've not considered?

Also a concern is mindset.  Everyone has mindset, which influences how we see things, how we make connections, etc.  Mindsets also color on scientific data.

Bottom line for me is this: prove to me that humans are the primary cause for global climate change (or warming) - demonstrate it so that it's so clear that it simply can't be viewed else wise.

I agree. But, we still need to safeguard and protect our environment. That is obvious and easy to see with our senses.

4. Kenna McHugh profile image90

The "experts" who researched climate change fabricated the documentation of the study.  Decisions or policies written based on these kinds of studies eschew our thinking process in making the logical choices for our planet.  We need to safeguard and improve our environment based on facts. It begins in our front yards or holding our garbage in our cars and throwing it away when we get home not out our car window. We can recycle our oil, prescription drugs, and other poisons instead of dumping them into our water systems. We can avoid using plastic and recycle whenever possible.  I am sure we can think of other actions that will protect our planet.

Care to expand on how the "experts" who researched climate change fabricated the documentation of the study?  You have already claimed that there is some connection between Earth's and Mars' global warming by claiming the sun's energy is to blame for both.  A coincidence is not akin to a connection.  Claiming it's the sun causing the warming in recent decades, you are ignoring the scientific measurements that indicate that the sun's radiation has been decreasing for 40 years (which is supported by the decreasing sunspot activity over this same time period during the solar cycle).  This decrease in solar radiation reaching Earth should be causing cooling of Earth, but that's not what's happening.  It's not just the urban heat island effect or some other theories thrown out there to debunk the reality that the Earth has been warming since the 1980s.  We know Earth has been warming over this time period because sea levels have been rising due to ice melt and the fact that oceans expand due to higher heat content.  We are just in the early innnings of global warming.  It's going to get a whole lot more evident as the decades pass.

That said, I agree that any manmade solution, like trying to dim sunlight by throwing things up into the atmosphere that block sunlight would be misguided.  Probably wouldn't happen anyway since humans can't agree on much of anything.  We'll just have to adjust to a world with higher average temps and much higher sea levels.

2. profile image0

"Eight committees investigated the allegations and published reports, finding no evidence of fraud or scientific misconduct.

"The scientific consensus that global warming is occurring as a result of human activity remained unchanged throughout the investigations."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Climatic_ … ontroversy

Wikipedia? Are you serious?

1. profile image0

Yes, why? Look at the citations at the bottom of the article. Do you have better sources?

The eight major investigations covered by secondary sources include: House of Commons Science and Technology Committee (UK); Independent Climate Change Review (UK); International Science Assessment Panel Archived 9 May 2013 at the Wayback Machine (UK); Pennsylvania State University first panel Archived 25 September 2010 at the Wayback Machine and second panel Archived 30 January 2012 at the Wayback Machine (US); United States Environmental Protection Agency (US); Department of Commerce (US); National Science Foundation (US).

Biello, David (Feb 2010). "Negating 'Climategate'". Scientific American. (302):2. 16. ISSN 0036-8733. "In fact, nothing in the stolen material undermines the scientific consensus that climate change is happening and that humans are to blame";

See also: Lubchenco, Jane (2 December 2009) House Select Committee on Energy Independence and Global Warming (House Select Committee). "The Administration's View on the State of Climate Science". House Hearing, 111 Congress. U.S. Government Printing Office. "...the e-mails really do nothing to undermine the very strong scientific consensus and the independent scientific analyses of thousands of scientists around the world that tell us that the Earth is warming and that the warming is largely a result of human activities." As quoted in the report published by Office of Inspector General.

And many more.

5. Kenna McHugh profile image90

Here are sound reports. Still, we must take care of our planet.

https://www.thenewamerican.com/tech/env … -the-world
    "Global surface temperatures have remained stable for 20 years, even as man-made CO2 has continued to increase, defying the predictions of the alarmists. Climate realists (whom the alarmists vilify as “deniers”) are winning the debate with real science and real evidence."

The Environment: A True Story - https://youtu.be/HDdB2wXzyvo The documentary provides historical evidence and interviews fro Climate Scientists that show humans cannot be the cause of the fluctuating temperatures on Earth.

1. profile image0

I don't think "The New American" has quite the same credibility as 32 international science organizations and every government on the planet (except our current one).

Any response yet to our postings about the "fake" climate research? Just curious.

Watch the documentary and read the article.  The documentary scientific sources are quite extensive.

2. Rock_nj profile image90

Global surface temperatures haven't remained stable for 20 years.  That is not an accurate statement.  The hottest years ever recorded were 2015 and 2016. The Earth has continued to warm, as evidenced by rising sea levels (they rise when the planet is warming and drop when the planet is cooling for obvious reasons). It ebbs and flows, but the trend is clearly upwards.

But really that's not important.  The problem with global warming deniers is that they have no vision.  What is happening now is just a prelude to what is to come once feedback loops like liberating methane from the frozen polar regions kicks in and kicks global warming into high gear, like 1 C warming over 20 years rather than the 100 years it has taken to rise 1 C.

It's like when we were waiting for hurricane Sandy to hit NY and NJ and the dolts are like this is no big deal when the storm was still 300 miles out at sea and conditions were not too stormy. Yeah, it was just another storm until it made landfall in the evening and brought with it unprecedented storm surge and winds that did massive damage to people and property.  We are just waiting for the worst of global warming.  Just because it isn't here now, doesn't mean it's not going to arrive in future decades.  One of the falsehoods that deniers use is that scientists claim global warming should be really bad by now, which isn't true at all. Any scientist worth his/her salt knows the Earth has only warmed 1C since the early 20th century and this whole thing is just getting started.  It will not be no big deal if the Earth warms 4, 5, or 6C over the next century or two.  It will have a major impact on humans and any living thing.

Here's an article I wrote that give perspective on the science behind global warming research and how scientists have reached their conclusions.  Interestingly, global warming has always been controlversial since the beginning of the scientific debate over 100 years ago. 

Here is a site that tracks what's going on with the global climate:  http://www.columbia.edu/~mhs119/

FYI: You've been posting your articles here, which is considered spam.

They are about the topic being discussed and actual scientific facts and background to it.  I didn’t join this conversation to post my articles.  I joined it because I read something you posted that is clearly inaccurate in regards to the data we have regarding the sun’s radiance strength and connection to global warming on Earth and Mars.  The fact is that nobody that looks at the data can deny us that the sun’s strength and therefore impact on global temperatures has diminished over the past 40 years. You can’t claim that recent warming on Earth during this time period is due to a weaker sun. It’s not the sun causing global warming over the past 40 years. The sun cycle of sunspots is at a natural ebb right now, which should cool the Earth like the mini ice age of Medieval times, but to a lesser extent since they haven’t diminished as much as back then.  Sorry, but claiming the sun is responsible for recent global warming is not grounded in physical reality or scientific data regarding the sun’s relationship to Earth’s climate.

6. Kenna McHugh profile image90

I am not claiming it. I am posting the facts from articles that are not mine, which I don't think you have yet to look at and study.
    The main point is we need to take care of our planet.

I read the articles.  The "facts" in them are not facts at all, but rather falsehoods put forth by people who either don't understand the science or have an agenda and want to muddy the waters.  These so-called "facts" just confuse people.  It's really simple:  when less of the Sun's radiant energy is reaching Earth it has a cooling effect on Earth and when there's more radiant energy from the Sun reaching the Earth it has a warming effect.  The actual fact that anyone can look up and verify for themselves regarding observations taken of the Sun's radiant energy is that it has been diminishing at the same time as the Earth's temperature has been increasing over the past 40 years. A rational observer who looks at the actual facts and data (look up the Sun Cycle) cannot conclude that it is the Sun that has been driving the recent warming on Earth since the Sun Cycle has been weakening over the past 40 years, which has resulted in less of the Sun's radiant energy from reaching Earth. There is something else driving the recent warming we have observed through temperature measurements and secondary observations such as species habitat migrations and rising sea levels.

I agree that we have to take care of our planet, but taking articles that seriously propose the global warming we've experienced in recent decades is due to the Sun's effect on our climate are not a good place to start. It's factually wrong and easily proven as factually inaccurate and should be discounted as such. If we were living during a time when the Sun Cycle was in such a state that it was increasing the Sun's radiant energy reaching the Earth, then such articles would have to be taken into serious consideration as an explanation for the recent warming, but we aren't living in such a time.  The Sun's current activity is having a cooling effect on Earth's climate, which is being overridden by other drivers of climate.

2. profile image0

Posting and praising it is claiming it.

What I find interesting in the video I posted, the report that the data entered into the scientific computerized models is not reliable because they fed information rather than track it down. Historically, the evidence is overlooked. Over the centuries, the Earth's temperature is naturally going up and down.

1. profile image0

I agree with you that the Earth's temperature naturally goes up and down.

That said, scientists and governments worldwide are frightened about how quickly the Earth's temperature is rising, the harmful impact it is having on climate and weather, and how much of it is the result of human carbon emissions.

7. Kenna McHugh profile image90

Multiple NASA Studies Confirm Bedrock Heat Flow Behind Melting Polar Ice, Not Global Warming
    https://climatechangedispatch.com/nasa- … olar-melt/

+1

1. Don W profile image83

+2

Right on Kenna. Rock solid sources. Foolish people will ask why you would trust a site that Media Bias Fact Check has reviewed as:

"Conspiracy Level: Moderate
        Pseudo-science Level: Quackery"(1)

Just ignore them Kenna. They don't know anything.

The silly climate alarmists will also point out that
        climatechangedispatch.com is edited by James Taylor, a senior Fellow at the Heartland Institute, which is funded by the oil and gas industry(2), and the tobacco industries(3).

But is that meant to be a bad thing? I trust the oil and gas industry 110% to tell the truth about climate change. Why wouldn't they?!!!

And we all know how trustworthy the tobacco industry is when it comes to telling the truth about harm. The fact that site is funded by those industries is a PLUS in my book!!!!

So keep on truckin Kenna, preferably with good ol' American freedom fossil fuel!!

MAGA!!

(1) https://mediabiasfactcheck.com/climate-change-dispatch/
        (2) https://www.sourcewatch.org/index.php?t … te#Funding
        (3) https://www.sourcewatch.org/index.php?t … nd_tobacco

1. Randy Godwin profile image58
          Randy Godwinposted 4 years agoin reply to this

It seems lately more of these right wing sites are appearing on the net. I get weary of trying to convince folks to check out the site and its owners before posting a link from it

I suppose many simply like what the site reports more than they care for the authenticity of what they're reporting.

1. profile image0

Don's SourceWatch link shows that a handful of radical right and Libertarian billionaires are funding these propaganda sites with a huge amount of money.

The biggest ones have family connections with the John Birch Society. It's the far right group that was so radical back in the '60s and '70 that even mainstream conservatives condemned it.

Coincidentally, it now owns The New American, the magazine that Kenna linked.

Kenna, are you a member?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Birch_Society

Discrediting sources doesn't win the prudence.

1. profile image0

The source is biased political group with a far right political agenda. It's even farther to the right than Fox News.

Are you a member?

If I was a member, it wouldn't matter. That is just a distraction from the issue.

1. profile image0

Not at all. It goes to the possibility that you have a hidden motive for what you post on HP.

Are you a member?

As I said before, I am not a member. If I was, it would not matter because it is a distraction from the issue. There are no hidden motives in my posts. Though now, I think you are the one with hidden motives because you are twisting my comments.
                      Please keep to the issue of the original post. We need to take care of our planet and use proper sources to do so.

2. Don W profile image83

True! What does it matter if the information that forms the basis of our argument is literally described as "pseudo-science" and "propaganda" by a fact-checking site? Who cares?

The main thing is that it says what we think it should say. Reliable sources are overrated. We have our own facts!!!!

Climate change is not mainly caused by humans, because Mars! Fact. Smoking doesn't cause cancer! Fact. Vaccines cause autism! Fact. Zygotes are people! Fact. The British royal family and the Pope are lizards! Fact. They found a WWII bomber on the moon! Fact. You're right Kenna, discrediting the sources doesn't change these facts. It's not important how we know them, it's just important that we spread them!!! MAGA!

Don W.
                  You are a member of the John Birch Society, FACT!
                  You voted for Trump, FACT!

1. Don W profile image83

I'm not just a member. I'm a co-founder.

On my 67th birthday, back in 1958, I hit upon the idea with my good friend and confidant Bob Welch. We wanted to start an organization that stands for truth, justice and the American way, and we did.

So it makes my heart bleed today seeing all these "liberals" spouting their facts about climate change. We never had facts when we were fighting the commies. All we had was good old red, white and blue propaganda!

That's why I'm so encouraged by your comments kenna. Takes me back to the good old days. Back then if we needed a fact, we'd just make one up! Life was so much easier then. Like you, I long for the days when no one cared about "sources" of information. People just bought whatever you told them.

But please, I must insist you don't mention my name in the same sentence as President Trump. I'm not worthy of such a distinction. Mr Trump has made this country . . . Forgive me, I'm getting teary-eyed. It'll pass in a minute. It's just that he's like the son I always wanted.

He's kind and courteous to people, respectful to women, cares deeply about the rule of law. Is not impressed by dictators, can't be bribed with trinkets and shiny things. Just an all-round wonderful man. Now I need to take a minute to compose myself. MAGA!

I thought you'd like my last comment. See you at the next Be In.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
    Necessary
    HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
    LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
    Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
    AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
    Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
    CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
    Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
    Features
    Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
    Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
    Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
    Marketing
    Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
    Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
    Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
    Statistics
    Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
    ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
    ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)