Are network sites being unfairly prioritized?

Jump to Last Post 1-6 of 6 discussions (9 posts)
  1. satomko profile image90
    satomkoposted 4 years ago

I am uncertain if this same situation has happened to other writers, but I am wondering about why it seems hubpages has become a second-class citizen in its own network.  I've written articles here for the last decade and been happy with it for the most part.  In the last year or so, however, there has been a push to move articles onto the network affiliated cites.  Often, I've had articles "snipped," moved, and altered without my asking for it.  When I make my own editorial or aesthetic changes, I am told the articles no longer meet the standard and are sent to hubpages again. 

Why does any of this happen, and why is hubpages treated as "less than" when it comes to article promotion?  Affiliate sites can link to each other but heaven forbid you try to link an affiliate article back to hubpages, even if it is directly related or a work by the same author. 

On a side note, I feel like a lot of the "snips" would be entirely mitigated if authors could use italics or underline in the title capsule.  As this situation is a technological limitation, it's up to someone on top to fix this oversight rather than haranguing authors about being in compliance with network guidelines.

2. Shesabutterfly profile image93
    Shesabutterflyposted 4 years ago

Hubpages is pretty much dead as far as Google is concerned. There is no money to be made staying on HP's home site. Views are slim to none and it's incredibly difficult for a home site article to show up on Google or any other search engine for that matter. HP has been deemed a content farm and it's known that Google does not like that.

These are the main reasons why the niche sites were created in the first place. To make Hubpages less content farm like and more accepted by the search engines. If you want to make any type of money or see any traffic you need to get your articles moved to the niche sites. You can type in the exact title of an article on the HP home site and you likely will never find it. I search for mine every so often and I stop on page 10. Before HP got dinged after the plethora of Google updates and algorithm changes they would have been much higher.

Unless you have content that is not widely covered on the internet your hubpages home site articles are very unlikely to show up on Google, even if someone searches for your exact title. Google will show unrelated articles before it ever shows an HP home site article.

The reason you cannot link back to HP is because HP is no longer deemed a good site by the search engines. It hurts the niche sites to have articles on them that link back to HP. If you want to link between two articles you need to get them both to the niche sites.

You can opt out of the edit's if you want, but without your articles moving to the niche sites you will not find success here. You can submit articles to certain niche sites every few weeks if you'd like. This might cut down on the number of articles that you have snipped and edited. However, they still might do edits to submitted articles if they think it is necessary or if they find any errors.

3. Jodah profile image90
    Jodahposted 4 years ago

Well, I have a total of 135 articles currently spread over about five network sites. However, my best traffic hub was published in 2015 and is still on HubPages. It is consistently my highest traffic article over every 7 day period and has been since it was published.
    It was selected for Delishably at one stage but I didn’t accept an edit they made to it so it went back to HubPages. I could probably apply to have it moved again as a couple of years have passed but why would I take the risk on having its views drop? I only have one article on a niche site that is within 2000 views of the other and it is 18 months older.

1. NateB11 profile image89
      NateB11posted 4 years agoin reply to this

Yeah, I was going to make this point. I have articles on the main site that do fine.

4. DrMark1961 profile image96
    DrMark1961posted 4 years ago

That is because Hubpages main site is for second class articles. You can read Shesabutterfly´s explanation as to why. If you are okay with your articles staying, tell the editors that you no longer want your articles to be considered for niche sites. They will not snip your articles. They will not check your articles after you edit. Your traffic will not be even less than it is now, but if that is what you want just let them know that.
    As to your last point, it is not up to HP to fix all the errors out there so that articles will meet their network guidelines. That is up to the writer. Again, if you are not interested in doing that just let them know that you no longer want your articles to be considered for a niche site.

5. psycheskinner profile image83
    psycheskinnerposted 4 years ago

Hubpages is a business, so the sites that get more traffic and make more money will be the priority.

6. paradigmsearch profile image60
    paradigmsearchposted 4 years ago

Google seems to really be messing around with my article rankings these days (and thus maybe by implication, the niche sites). Traffic on various articles is good one day, miserable the next, good again, miserable, again, good again, and so on. Google is apparently doing their well-known experimenting thing again, trying to find if other articles have better reader reaction stats than mine. Hopefully, Google is doing this with all high ranking articles and not just picking on the HP niche sites.

1. OldRoses profile image93
      OldRosesposted 4 years agoin reply to this

I think that it depends on the niche site.  My Dengarden articles have consistently increasing  traffic every day.

1. paradigmsearch profile image60
        paradigmsearchposted 4 years agoin reply to this

Alas; my Dengarden article has been a top performer for years, but for a week or two now traffic has dropped by half. This particular one I believe to be topic over saturation and overwhelming competition, as opposed to the Google experimentation thing. Youtube, name brand website domain names, and on-point keyword website domain names are slaughtering it now. All good things come to an end. I'd be willing to fight back with updates, but that has proven too risky in the past.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)