IS TODAY A GOOD TIME TO TAKE THE PLEDGE TO BE GREEN

Jump to Last Post 1-6 of 6 discussions (23 posts)
  1. profile image56
    londonguy1posted 14 years ago

DO WE HAS CITIZENS OF THIS WORLD CARE ABOUT OUR PLANET EARTH, 
    OR NOT REALLY DO WE THINK ITS NONE OF OUR BUISNESS.
    NOW IS THE DAY TAK THE PLEDGE TO BE GREENNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN.

1. Cagsil profile image71
      Cagsilposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Was it necessary for you to use ALL CAPS on your post? I think not, just like the GREEN issue is a money-related issue and not a societial issue.

The Earth has been here for Billions of years and to think that Humankind is going to do any damage is ludicris, not to mention, it is a ploy from many circles, so as to portray bigger problem than society has already, when the truth of the matter is that we should be addressing more important issues.

Thank you for the topic, but really isn't necessary at this time for individual people to worry about, when it is obvious that they all have more pressing concerns.

1. AdsenseStrategies profile image64
        AdsenseStrategiesposted 14 years agoin reply to this

My view is that, global warming aside (too controversial for me -- resulting in hot air being blown about from all sides...), we most definitely do do lots of damage:

take a tour of Alberta's oil sands development and let me know what you see... and sadly this is just one example of countless around the world.

There are literally thousands of completed and in-the-works large-scale dam projects on this planet. Some of them, presumably, do little harm, but some of them are well-documented to have destroyed entire eco-systems.

Finally, green issues that focus on the finite amount of fresh drinking water on the planet, or the high likelihood that drinking-water shortages are bound to (or at least quite likely to) engender conflict over the long-term underscore the self-interested element of paying attention to these things.

To think that the Colorado River now trickles in some places...

As to CO2 gases, I'm more concerned with the tons of hydrocarbons in the air. These are highly toxic -- now that they've invented a car that can be sold for a couple of thousand dollars, and now that India and China are likely to continue to develop... well, we're screwed if we think continuing to rely on fossil fuels like gasoline is not an important issue -- forget global warming; there's plenty to be concerned about besides that... and much of it counts as a "green" issue...

I happy that you have your view and your understanding, but was it necessary to attach your comments, to my comments, considering, there are BIGGER ISSUE in the world today, besides this garbage.

So, please. smile

You're offended I did this? This is standard practice in this community, right?

Providing you are speaking directly to me. My comment mentioned that there are bigger problems.

Yet, you attached your comment, to my comment, but didn't address any bigger issues, but did address the topic of conversation. If you think being green is MORE important than other issues, then you have a priority screw loose. But, as I stated in my response to your comment, I don't think it's that big a deal, comparatively speaking to other ISSUES going on.

Now, if you wanted to simply address the conversational topic, the you should have hit post/reply of the author of the topic and not mine. If you feel it was important to speak up over me, by using my comment, to satisfy whatever argument you wish, then please do so. I'm not of the mind, to deal with such a petty issue as being green. It's B.S.! Or Political HOGWASH!

The fact that they want to make the conversion NOW of all times, should show you how pathetic Government really is. You live in fear of your life. I hope you enjoy it.

Thanks for playing. I came to say what I wanted and now I'm done.

Enjoy all! No hassle, no fuss, no muss and no response need apply. Thank you again.

Hi again. I actually agree.

I mean, I actually think that world poverty might be the most important issue. (Heck, perhaps it's all those nuclear missiles still sitting in umpteen silos around the world.. but I have no clue what to do about that!).

I assure you my faith in governments in general is limited, to put it mildly. So this Copenhagen thing is for the birds, in my view, frankly.

I also agree that converting (in the US) NOW is dumb UNLESS it can be shown that green, clean energy, etc, IMPROVES the economy (not sure about this, not being an economist.....).

So, I think we sort of agree. I am not American, so I have no comment on what the American government should or should not do; well, it shouldn't bomb Iran, but apart from that smile

2. profile image0
        lyricsingrayposted 14 years agoin reply to this

big_smile

3. h.a.borcich profile image60
        h.a.borcichposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I agree with the all caps is not nice.

But on the issue of going green being all money centered, I disagree. Sure there is something to that facet, but I am very concerned with all the chemicals on crops and food, chemicals in the water, basically the poison on what we ingest. Going green could help reduce that. I wonder if the chemicals have caused all my cancers. Holly

2. Rochelle Frank profile image92
      Rochelle Frankposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Does using all caps in your posts and hubs save energy? I am sorry, don't mean to insult you if this is because of a disability, but it is so much easier to read when typed in a standard format.

2. profile image0
    sneakorocksolidposted 14 years ago

Not until I finish my slash-n-burn of this rain forest. The trees just drop they're damn leaves every where, I warned'em!

3. thisisoli profile image69
    thisisoliposted 14 years ago

Pollution is more important than Global Warming, Global Warming has been discreditted multiple times over the last century, and it has been reguarly regurgitated by imbeciles every decade since it was first 'discovered'.

You should simply have stated the first sentence, because the rest automatically distracts from what is a good point -- the very mention of "global warming" sends people off on a tirade (a bit like mentioning Jesus...).

Mind you, things may pan out in the end, partly because it is coal, oil, carbon combustion, use of plastics etc., which generate much (obviously not all) of the pollution anyway; in other words, by focusing on CO2 emissions, people are accidentally focusing on hydrocarbon-related pollutants -- so maybe things will work out, anyway, for our (yours and mine) mutual point of view.

(Not that I'm a climate change skeptic: I don't have the expertise to make a judgment -- I'm assuming you do, to have arrived at a position.... I'm a "climate change is not the most obvious issue, let's focus on what everyone agrees is bad"-ist... smile )

2. Will Apse profile image88
      Will Apseposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I wonder if you have any facts or references to support these assertions? It's an important enough issue to draw every one of the worlds leaders to Copenhagen. There is no national scientific body that isn't sounding alarms alarms about global warming. There are a mass of data that demonstrate Global Warming absolutely clearly.

http://www.scientificamerican.com/topic … ate-change

http://www.pewclimate.org/global-warmin … nd_figures

4. Frugal Fanny profile image59
    Frugal Fannyposted 14 years ago

Sometimes being "green" can get expensive.  Switching your house to greener energy, using friendly chemicals, buying organic food and clothing, etc etc.  Many people can't afford that, and most of those people don't realise that there are things they can do to contribute to the growing green trend, that aren't expensive at all.

You have to take baby steps though. You really can't just decide to go all out and be green in everything you do or buy from now on.  You have to make a plan that is viable for you and your household, with consideration to your income and the amount of time you can spare. 

For many people, a quick switch over just isn't an option.

5. profile image0
    A Texanposted 14 years ago

Sorry, I was out burning tires and pouring used motor oil into Edwards Aquifer, what was the question?

1. profile image0
      lyricsingrayposted 14 years agoin reply to this

hey me too, so what was the question again? lol

1. profile image56
        londonguy1posted 14 years agoin reply to this

SORRY TEXAN, BUT IF WE ALL THINK THE SAME LIKE YOU, THE PLANET WILL BECOME A MORE POLLUTED PLACE. DO YOU WANT TO LEAVE A PLANET FULL OF SMOKE , POLLUTED AIR , WATER, SOIL, HAS A LEGACY OF OUR HUMAN RACE FOR THE NEXT GENERATION. THINK ?

1. profile image0
          baconmidgetposted 14 years agoin reply to this

why are you YELLING?

6. profile image0
    shinujohn2008posted 14 years ago

Can world become green again ?

1. profile image56
      londonguy1posted 14 years agoin reply to this

I AM SURE IT CAN , IF WE ALL WORK TOGETHER TO MAKE IT A GREENER PLACE

1. kmackey32 profile image66
        kmackey32posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Ok but only if we all work together not to use all caps. smile

1. profile image0
          baconmidgetposted 14 years agoin reply to this

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)